1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What direction do you think Morey should approach this deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Dec 19, 2016.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Should Morey look to shore up the team with the ever flexibility and cap space in mind. Possibly, investing in potential and future. Ex: players like nerlens noel.

Or should he focus on winning it all and improving this current core. Adding veteran pieces and not paying as much attention to flexibility. Ex: players like tyson chandler.

I've always sided with flexibility and asset collection, but I think this current run has changed my opinion.

Since Beverley's return we have been playing at a top5 offense and top5 defense level. Morey has always stated you need to be top 10 in both to be considered championship contender. Well if we continue at or around this level of play I believe we should be going "all in".

Even though harden signed his extension, he's only here for 2 more years after this. We have to be contending or risk losing him. We already signed what appears to be core guys to long term contracts in rhyno and ego. We have bev and ariza for only one more year after this.

IMO, we have the next two years, before harden enters his last year of contract before he opts out,(not his actual last year but player option he's most likely to exercise) we have to be a serious contender.

I see people interested in players like noel because of "potential" and I'm just jot sure that's our direction anymore. I believe we should, and it appears Morey may have this past offseason, start focusing on putting the best support cast we can around harden. While still being cautious of the future but not nearly as much.

Interested in others opinions.

2. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I think Morey goes all in and tries to pull off a blockbuster selling high on guys like Ryan Anderson and Capela.

I see a trade centered around Anderson/Capela/Beverly and a pick for Cousins/Collison

In the end I think it is a good move for both teams...

This team doesn't win the Championship the way it is currently constructed... and with the opportunity to get Cousins greater then it will ever be I think he pulls the trigger

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Don't mess up chemistry unless a superstar is available.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Tyson Chandler would be a great addition but we would be giving up Harrell, KJ, and Brewer more than likely. I haven't watched Chandler this year, but his stats seem to be as solid as ever. If we could acquire him for a package like that then I think that's acceptable. No idea if the Suns go for a deal like that, but it could make sense.

Chamillionaire and BigMaloe like this.
  5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Agreed.

Given that we are doing so well and have some flexibility (ie, can make max cap space in the off-season), I'd stick, or get a rookie scale contract, but only go 'all in' on a genuine star.
    The off-season will be about adding the second legit star, and then being a major contender for the next 3 years.

Jatman20 and BigMaloe like this.
  6. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

fixed

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

What I love about this season is, and I hope this continues to be the case, that what a great recruiting tool this season could be for the players. There's a lot of "D'Antoni makes stars shine brighter" narrative turning up because of our success so far.

Deuce and BigMaloe like this.
  8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Lol no.

Embrace the clutch and Zoplicone like this.
  9. Remlap

Remlap Member

Cousins is a MASSIVE head case. Not sure what MDA would think about bringing
    potential discord into the locker room and taint the team chemistry

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Nothing ever happens of significance at the February deadline anymore. Summer is where the action is.

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

12. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

If you can somehow get a better PG than Ennis/Brown without trading any of the top 10 players, I would do that.

Otherwise stay with what got you there. Don't mess up chemistry by trading any rotation players.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  13. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

Find a way to flip KJ, Brewer, a pick, and possibly Montrez for a wing like Wilson Chandler or Gallo or another big like Noel.

14. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I wouldn't mind a decent rim protector. If one could be had at minimal cost?

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there a post or article somewhere that shows how we do this since the DMo dilemma? It looks like we will be $14M under the cap.

17. StrawberryJamm

I don't think any core rotation guys will or should go out. We should keep our pick. Everyone's sold on the system, analytics, and the direction more than ever. Don't think Ennis or KJ are seen as fits or part of the future but could grow into good players elsewhere could see those 2 on the block in a small trade that brings in a similar talent better fit player. Old Vince Carter as a Brewer replacement would be legit.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Go for it. - all in.

DD

#18 DaDakota, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm still worried about the optimism on the board right after a stretch of games against mostly bad teams recently, and impeccable health we've had. This team is not going to win a championship. All I care about is what carries over into next season when, for me, the management has its last chance to win a title. I don't want to saddle this team with mediocre players. We need more talent. No and, ifs or buts, we need more talent on this roster.

The team has been incredible. My favorite things have been the play calling, preparation, chemistry and confidence. I think these guys are capable of making a nice playoff run. I think Capela, Harrell and Dekker will improve by the time the playoffs roll around. Wiltjer and Onuaku MIGHT even be able to give us garbage minutes by season's end. We've likely already seen the best out of the rest of the core roster.

Ryno is going to be a liability in a year or two - you would be a fool to not anticipate that. Brewer is eating a $6m chunk of cap space for production we can get from KJ. We're looking at roughly $9m in cap space this summer, which is not enough to add a core piece. I think if we can just dump Brewer for an expiring or a TPE without losing our 2017 pick, we are golden and don't NEED to do anything else till summer. It will also allow us to maybe sign a 3rd string PF/C for some depth. Bumps our cap space up to $15m which means if a MAX player becomes available to us, it will be easy to pounce especially with our pick in hand. The chemistry is supreme right now, overshadowing talent. We shouldn't touch the core, unless..

If a REALLY great role player or a star player becomes available during the season, jump on it. Those kinds of opportunities don't come along very often and we just have to take those chances given the lack of talent on this roster. If it means finishing 6th instead of 4th so be it.

The most important thing to me is how do we look over a 5 year period. Right now, not so good imo. We are an ageing team fighting for homecourt. It's not going to end well if we just stick to these guys or make minor additions in the summer. I don't want to end up like the Clippers or Grizzlies, always keeping ourselves a tier below the top contenders just because it's convenient.

saleem, anchel, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I don't think a second legit star is out there this summer. Hayward is as good as it gets but does he choose us over Utah or Boston where he could stay the man and/or reunite with old coach.

Any superstar that becomes available we can't currently compete with Boston/phoenix/Minny/Philly/Lakers when it comes to package to acquire.

I believe we have the assets to acquire a gallo type player, but at the expense of rotation players and I'm not sure we should.

So that leaves us to what can we acquire for brewer, kj, maybe harrel and picks.

The answer is not much.

If we could acquire a player like Tyson chandler would you mess up flexibility to shore up our interior defense, or would you rather try to acquire short term fix and flexibility in a player like bogut or Gibson who would expire at years end?

kwakmeister likes this.