1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can Trump do to unite the country vs. divide?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Jan 12, 2017.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

8 years ago, I was really hopeful of the direction the country was going in. 4 years ago, I realized Obama would be just another President. In fact, I was not a big fan of how much he expanded the executive powers and felt he had some seriously questionable actions (see link below).

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/have-the-right-cried-wolf-too-many-times.246222/

One thing that's become more than obvious is how much more divided and polarized this country has become. The party not in power is going to go balls to the wall vilifying everything about the opposite party. This goes from the actual members of the government to members of Clutch.

The sad part is, I see Trump only increasing the animosity between the conservative and the liberals. Between his nomination picks, his victory tour, and how he's interacting with the press, he's basically Dapping in the end zone right now. It's only going to push the Left to spark the same venom the Right had for Obama.

At this point, expecting the other-side to just roll over on any issue is not going to happen, it's gotten too personal. But is there hope? What are some likely steps Trump can take to truly come make this country come together and work together?

da_juice and Exiled like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think this president can do anything to bring the country together, but hopefully with the previous administration gone, the rate at which this country is divided might slow down a bit....that's probably best case scenario.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Deport are the libs hahaha j/k

Listen, Trump is barely a Republican as it is and he's no small government libertarian either. I actually think that if the libtards would let the man do his job they would like a lot of his policies. Personally he's really moderate on social issues and he's shown that he's not a small government hawk. He'll spend money just like them libs like to do.

Honestly, if the libs would ignore (it's so hard for them) the campaign rhetoric they'd find out they basically have a democrat in office right now.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he was a life-long Democrat till he decided to run against Hillary....

ipaman likes this.
  5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I am willing to see how he does in office, but I have my doubts about him. I subscribe to the white cat black cat, if it can catch the mouse, it is a good cat theory, all I need is the result.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Everyone has doubts but the guy is being smothered before even being sworn in. I know Obama faced similar issues but two wrongs don't make a right. And if the left doesn't let it go then we'll all get more of the same.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If anyone is looking for unity over the next 8 years, it won't happen under Trump. Trump is not a uniter or one to bring false hope. What you see is what you get, like him or hate him. What I have seen with Trump is not so much of a Right vs Left division. The division is more so between those who appreciate a soft approach vs those who appreciate a hard approach. Those who are easily offended are going to hate him, regardless of how well he performs.

body slam likes this.
  8. Exiled

Exiled Member

I think he can ,and if not, he has Russia united behind him ,he's smart wonderful person

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I think we would all be more united and better off if he resigned.

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

And that's exactly what I think is going to happen, because it is personal and people have drawn up lines. Look, I was mad as heck when Obama did things in office that are questionable and no body on the left batted an eye. At the same time, the I got so annoyed that the right jumped on every little thing just to make it more difficult for him to govern.

The things I think Trump needs to do are the following:
    • Tone down on his rhetoric, and extend olive branches. Admit's he's being a troll to get elected, but he will not be that going forward. Back that up by stop tweeting maliciously.
    • Make concrete steps of advancing a health care plan to replace ACA but still find a way to not remove health care from 22 million people (yeah, it's hard, which is why there needs to be work across the aisle to do this well). Actually bring in Democrats to help with this, make it a true bi-lateral issue to solve.
    • Come forth with a tax plan that actually benefits the middle class, including the middle management upper middle class. This aint it, it benefits the ultra wealthy too much:
    • Start infrastructure projects (I actually liked how that was one of the first things he said when he got elected). Follow through, create real jobs across the country.
    • Appoint a middle of the road supreme court justice - One example would be some one that supports guns, supports free speech of all types, will probably be pro-net neutrality, some one we know won't go all the way to overturn roe v. wade, but at the same time wouldn't support abortion after the second trimester unless the mother's life is in danger. Would not rule against gay marriage, but would probably overturn Obama's executive order on the transgender bathroom (since that should really be done by the legislative branch).
    • Find ways of offering most of the services planned parenthood does, make sure it's still accessible to the cares/preventive measures are still available.
    • Make sure net neutrality is still there, don't cave to the big internet/cable companies and gut the FCC's powers.
    • Revamp welfare. It should be more of a gradual change in benefits instead of step-wise function. It's dumb policy if people would take jobs/pay increase as it would be income-negative due to losing benefits. But at the same time state that if you're in a time of need, the country is there for you.

Hakeemtheking and RocketWalta like this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

If he released the videos of Russian prostitutes urinating on him we would all come together for a good laugh.

12. Buck Turgidson

He's already emboldened the knuckledraggers, give it 2 years and see what happens.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Reagan killed income tax brackets that were above 50-70-90% and got to ride declining inflation after Volcker hiked interest rates. As bad as Mondale was or Jackson would have been in '84, Reagan was exorcising demons stretching back to the late '60s and even Hart would have looked like he was running in the opposite direction of the entire country.

If Trump can somehow argue as vehemently for pulling literally every single soldier out of the middle east (including Saudi Arabia), then disemboweling defense spending and raising taxes to create a balanced or surplus budget, you could see some moderates and David Walker-type technocrats come to his side. If he bites the bullet and tries to kill mandatory minimums and fully legalize mar1juana, he could outflank liberals and redirect the republican party to libertarians or younger non-coastals. Granted, the question here is how to unite or triangulate politically, regardless of whether or not he completely destabilizes the country.

Nook and Haymitch like this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Trump burned any bridges with his rhetoric, ego, and utter lack of humility. A man that cannot admit he is wrong about anything...doesnt deserve respect. Until he is gone, we fight the POWER!

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So he's not one to bring false hope except when he's constantly lying and what you see is what you get except when he's constantly lying.

And ereyone was spaaaaaaace ghoooooosting...

Donald Trump: I’m a uniter, ‘but I have to finish off the project’

Trump declares himself a uniter after big NH win

Trump: 'I will be a great unifier'

Donald Trump: "I'm very much a unifier"

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly....

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Climate change?

The liberal-democratic norms are gone, slowly strangled in a dark corner while we were watching reality TV. None of those things will happen. The one exception might be the infrastructure program, but it will be based on turning public assets to private corporations for the fleecing of taxpayers. Think of the atrocious toll road deals some Repub states have made recently. Trump doesn't want to be President, he wants to be CEO of the world. Deals are the thing. The everyday politics will be done by winger Repubs while he demands fealty from industry leaders asking for approval for mergers and monopolies while making a few billion on the side and destroying the post-WWII world order.

The whole thing would be somewhat comical if it weren't so obvious it's going to end in tragedy for us all, R & D alike. I used to say the Iraq invasion was the greatest strategic blunder in American history because we would be paying the cost for decades to come. How naive I was. Trump will make Iraq look like child's play and it appears the Republican Party, such as it is, will enable him all the way.

I'm pessimistic that the pessimists are pessimistic enough about this.

BigDog63 and Rashmon like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Stop it. Just stop it.
    He was a life long 'Im ****ing rich and I want to slay p***y and have no principles or beleifs'. He didn't give a **** about politics.

#18 fchowd0311, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trump claims he never said that.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

that's depression level pessimism! (not that depression is all bad). In the honor of MLK, we accept finite disappointments, but never lose infinite hopes. Cheers.