1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your western conference predictions?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by knits stekcor, Aug 2, 2000.

1. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

give kobe time you'll see. and if shaq got injured , phil would help "develop" another team like portland.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

2. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Brahm Rocket, no Wolves in the playoffs with Kevin Garnett? Spurs at seventh? I don't think the Surs will be seventh with Duncan, Robinson, and probably Derek Anderson. Unless one of them goes down with an injury.
    Brahm, Kobe would be nothing without Shaq. How many times have you seen Kobe go up in the air, finds no place to go, and dumps it off to Shaq? Shaq is his safety net. You can't miss Shaq when he is in the paint, that is why Shaq bails out kobe so much. Refs should call more 3 seconds on Shaq!!

------------------
    "See they pick and pick and pick. Man they picked me to death."
    -Steve Francis on the Utah Jazz

3. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

i thought that derek anderson was going to portland?? in a trade??

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

4. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

brahma, Derek is considering both options, He would be signing with the spurs now if he could get a big payoff next season, similar to Shandon, but what Portland is offering financially seems too good to pass up for him.

------------------

5. haven

haven Member

the playoffs:

#1 Lakers-I'm not going to vote against the champs
    #2 San Antonio- Twin Towers + Andersen= 2nd seed.
    #3 Portland- Too much talent to go lower.
    #4 Phoenix-Same as Portland.
    #5 Minnesota-Too much Garnett.
    #6 Utah-Stockton and Malone *sigh* have one more year.
    #7 Sacramento-MVP candidate Webber will put them here.
    #8 Houston-Francis must become a legitimate superstar, Anderson must score more, Hakeem must do *something*.

Significant others:
    #9 Dallas-Young talent, but I don't think Finley can carry a team.
    #10 Seattle-GP is aging, Baker isn't declining already, Lewis won't quite be ready.
    #11 Vancouver-Still don't have a bench. Abdur-Rahim might be a bit overrated due to the "Clipper-effect"

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

6. RT45

RT45 Member

Two teams everyone is underestimating: Utah and Seattle. Every year people underestimate the Jazz and they have yet to fold and many people here are misdiagnosing Seattle as an old team when in all reality they are a young team. Brent Barry, Rashard Lewis, Reuben Patteron, Lazero Borrell, Desmond Mason, Jelahni McCoy, and Shammond Williams are all younger players in this league, Vin Baker isn't old, just out of shape and Payton is at the top of his game. Seattle should of won 50 games last year with this young team and I'll be shocked if they don't win 50 this season.

------------------

7. Miggidy Markell

Geeeez fellas, you sound as if we should already start celebrating our 2001 championship! [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm tha hip hop attracta, rapper slash acta, right back at cha!

8. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Haven, Abdur-Rahim overated? He is probably the most underrated star in the league. He is a consistent 20+ scorer and usually in top 5 scoring in the league, but he still doesn't get to be an all-star? How can he be underated? Without Shareef, the Grizzlies would be worse than the Clippers. Luckily he go some recognition by the Olympic commitee. Please Haven, all because Shareef is on a bad team doesn't mean he isn't legitimate. So are you saying that Lamar Odom isn't really very good because he is on the clippers? Shareef Abdur-Rahim is a very very good player, and if he wasn't in Vancouver he would get the recognition he deserves.

------------------

9. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Haven, Abdur-Rahim overated? He is probably the most underrated star in the league. He is a consistent 20+ scorer and usually in top 5 scoring in the league, but he still doesn't get to be an all-star? How can he be underated? Without Shareef, the Grizzlies would be worse than the Clippers. Luckily he go some recognition by the Olympic commitee. Please Haven, all because Shareef is on a bad team doesn't mean he isn't legitimate. So are you saying that Lamar Odom isn't really very good because he is on the clippers? Shareef Abdur-Rahim is a very very good player, and if he wasn't in Vancouver he would get the recognition he deserves. I mean Stevie gets more publicity than him, and Stevie was a rookie! I am not saying that Stevie gets too much publicity, I am saying that Shareef gets too little. I mean I hear people talk more about Elton Brand, Shawn Kemp, and Tracy Mcgrady than about Shareef. And Tracy hasn't accomplished anything in the NBA, he has a bright future, but so does Shareef, he's only 23.

------------------

10. haven

haven Member

Lilstevie: if I believed those #'s were genuine, I'd agree with him. I call this the "Clipper-effect." When nobody around you is capable of scoring, a player scores far more than he would on a team with other talents.

I mean, Michael Dickerson joins the Grizzlies... and Shareef loses 3 pts on his average.... on a team that still needs more scoring. What if he played with someone like Vince Carter, Shaq, or Iverson? I can't help but think people admire Shareef for his bloated #'s, not his game.

Here's a player who I think is truly underrated: Michael Finley. Not quite a superstar perhaps, but his average his improving as his team is getting better.

------------------

[This message has been edited by haven (edited August 03, 2000).]

11. RT45

RT45 Member

The NBA players voted Shareef Abdur-Rahim as the leagues most underrated player. I'll take their word over anyone here.

------------------

12. haven

haven Member

RT45: If he's so good, why can't his team win? I know he hasn't had a great supporting cast, but neither does Iverson, and he took his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs. The Grizzlies won 22 games last year with Dickerson, Shareef, and Bibby. If Shareef was as good as you seem to think, that wouldn't happen.

------------------

13. virgin suicide

we are going to be the 8th seed and the lakers are going to be #1 and we are going to shock the world and be the third team to ever do it. you just watch ..remember i said so.

------------------
    "Win the game, baby!"
    -Rudy T in the fourth
    quarter of game 4 of
    the 1995 NBA Finals

14. RT45

RT45 Member

haven, you answered your own question; he doesn't have a supporting cast. We are talking about a team so pathetic, Othella Harrington was their star post player. Like I said before, the NBA players voted Abdur-Rahim the most underrated player in the league. They actually play against him and I'll take their word over yours.

------------------

15. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Thanks for backing me up RT45 [​IMG]

------------------

16. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

Bibby+Dickerson+Harrington = lack of experience.
    But they aren't pathetic, it's just that Rahim can't carry the team. Whereas Iverson is good at carrying the team by himself but that doesn't mean Iverson is waayyyy better than Rahim.

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

17. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

The Golden State Warriors shock the world and win the NBA Championship!

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?