1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your western conference predictions?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by knits stekcor, Aug 2, 2000.

1. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

Now that the summer leagues are over and most of the free agents are decided, what are your predictions on the western conference standings next year?

Here are mine:

1. Lakers - They will be the team to beat with or without Rice.
    2. Spurs - Keeping Duncan while adding Derek Anderson really helped. Add to that the chemistry that already exists, and they will be giving the Lakers a run for their money.
    3. Blazers - Trading Grant for Kemp is a baaad move. That would be another ego and one less role player.
    4. Sonics - Look for Payton and Shammond to spend a lot of time on the floor together. Desmond Mason looks like a steal in the draft.
    5. Jazz - Just when you thought they were about dead, they pick up Starks and possible Danny Manning.
    6. Suns - Didn't do much to improve themselves, but they seem to get better every year.
    7. Timberwolves - KG can singlehandedly keep this team going.
    8. Rockets - Nuff said already.
    9. Mavericks - Scored big with Courtney Alexander and Etan Thomas, and possibly Najera. Look for Mavs to battle with Rockets for final playoff spot.
    10. Kings - Is it just me or does it seem like Jason Williams gets worse every year? Divac is almost burned out. Plus, they lose Delk and possible Jon Barry. I think Webber will change his mind about staying in Sacremento after this season.
    11. Nuggets - Team looks good on paper, but that's been the case for several years now.
    12. Grizzlies - Swift will be exciting, but they have no clear cut team leader.
    13. Warriors - Perennial suckage team.
    14. Clippers - Too many new faces. If they ever start to become decent, it will take at least a year.

------------------
    I will demonstrate my clutchness this November.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

1. Lakers - Big "Whatever"
    2. Spurs - Held their core together
    3. Suns - Just a feeling
    4. Blazers - Quitten melts down
    5. T-Wolves - Just can't get over the hump
    6. Sonics - Getting older
    7. Jazz - Starks?? Bwahahahaa!!
    8. Rockets - They've gotta slip in there by 1/2 a game!!
    9. Mavs - Close, but no cigar
    10. Kings - Webber is going, going........
    11. Grizzlies - They've got to get better someday
    12. Clippers - Good draft, good season....barring they don't trade the team for the Warriors/Bulls!
    13. Nuggets - Just can't seem to improve
    14. Warriors - The Clippers of the new millenium.

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

1.Lakers
    2.Blazers
    3.Spurs
    4.Suns
    5.Jazz
    6.Sonics
    7.Timberwolves
    8.Mavericks
    9.Kings
    10.Rockets
    11.Nuggets
    12.Grizzlies
    13.Clippers
    14.Warriors

------------------
    WEBMASTER of SaveOurCuttino.Com

"There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

1. Spurs
    2. Lakers
    3. Blazers
    4. Jazz
    5. Suns
    6. Twolves
    7. Rockets
    8. Kings
    9. Mavericks
    10. Sonics
    11. Nuggets
    12. Grizzlies
    13. Warriors
    14. Clippers

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi?

Draftsource.net

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited August 02, 2000).]

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

1. "Fakers"
    2. Blazers
    3. Spurs
    4. Twolves
    5. Jazz
    6. Kings
    7. Suns
    8. Sonics
    9. Warriors
    10. Rockets
    11. Clippers
    12. Grizzlies
    13. Mavericks
    14. Nuggets

------------------
    "Your not a real member of CC.net unless you have 1000 posts"

6. jaworski2000

jaworski2000 Member

1. Spurs--Hungry for another title after a disappointing 1st rd loss. Anderson will be a great additon.
    2. Lakers--Won't win as many games last season and will finish 1 game behind Spurs after the reg. season.
    3. Portland--Will be third seed with or without Brian Grant. Pimpin is still the team's cancer.
    4. Rockets--Believe it or not we'll kick some serious butt this season. We'll win the reg. season series with the Jazz who will round up at 5th.
    5. Jazzholes--Stockton and Malone still gets it done but they'll miss Horny's consistency and clutch shooting. Starks will continue to shoot bricks and manning will be healthy the whole season because he won't even play. Malone gets a season ending injury in the reg.season's 81st game (for the 1st time in his career) and we'll sweep them in the playoffs.
    6. Suns--Hasn't done much to improve their line-up. Their players too are getting older. They would beat the Rockets only once during their reg. season series.
    7.Twolves--KG will carry this team on his back and will average nearly triple double this season. Lack of size ans scoring support would hurt them.
    8. Kings or Sonics-They will battle each other out for the last playoff birth.

------------------
    President of the Sir Charles Barkley Fan Club

7. AxSomebody

AxSomebody Contributing Member

This is a repeat of my post in another thread with a few changes, but I think it applies to this thread....

It's gonna be tough to predict who's going to be where in the standings in the west.
    Here are predictions and likeliness of the playoffs.

1) Lakers - definitely - Shaq and Kobe..'nuff said

2) Blazers - definitely - depth, depth, depth and besides, when else will Quitten have a chance to choke when it counts but in the playoffs?

3) Spurs - almost definitely - especially with the twin towers and the possible acquisition of Derek Anderson. Hopefully for them, Sean Elliott will stay and play like he used to

4) Suns - probably - unless there are more injuries like last year and the injured (Kidd, Googs) don't come back in full form. Backcourt is still one of the best in the league.

5) Wolves - probably - they need more scorers and a legit big man. But Garnett is awesome.

6) Kings - probably - with Webber, Divac and Williams...but the role players will need to perform too (especially on D)

7) Jazz - maybe - unless Malone and Stockton's games deteriorate even more (which they could and probably will) and if they don't find a good Hornacek replacement. Addition of Starks and Manning will keep them from falling to lottery status at least for this year.

8) Rockets - maybe - pending a significant free agent and if all of our hopeful players improve/pan out and we can duplicate our last 20 games of last season - upside we have a lot of....and I'm hopeful we can reach that potential

9) Sonics - maybe - with the emergence of Rashard Lewis and maybe some improvement on the part of Baker as well as the steady play of Payton

10) Nuggets - maybe - if the large collection of talent can mesh and win on the road

11) Mavericks - maybe - perennial suck-fest has actually acquired a pretty good collection of talent and they could make a push for the playoffs too - if Trent can stay injury-free and if they can learn to play some D.

12) Grizzlies - probably not - a very nice-looking and talented nucleus of players...give em a few years, but not this one....

13) Warriors - no way - Good talent, but no chance in hell

14) Clippers - no way - Ditto....too inexperienced and plus they're the Clippers

Looks to me like a 3-4 team race for the eight spot, with the Rockets smack in the middle of it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by AxSomebody (edited August 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by AxSomebody (edited August 02, 2000).]

8. carlit0

carlit0 Member

1. Spurs
    2. Lakers
    3. Blazers
    4. Suns
    5. Twolves
    6. Jazz
    7. Rockets
    8. Sonics
    9. Mavericks
    10. Kings
    11. Nuggets
    12. Grizzlies
    13. Warriors
    14. Clippers

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

9. aus

aus Member

1. Lakers
    2. Spurs
    3. Blazers
    4. Wolves
    5. Suns
    6. Sonics
    7. Jazz
    8. Rockets
    9. Kings
    10. Mavs
    11. Grizzlies
    12. Denver
    13. Warriors
    14. Clippers

------------------

10. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

1.Balzers
    2.Fakers
    3.Spurns
    4.Twolves
    5.Suns
    6.Spazz
    7.Sonics
    8.Mavs
    9.Kings
    10.Rockets
    11.Grizz
    12.Nuggets
    13.Clippers
    14.Warriors

------------------
    ------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in appropriate forums Sucks!
    2. Grammar and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Duplicate threads are really FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

11. RT45

RT45 Member

1). Lakers
    2). Trailblazers
    3). Spurs
    4). Suns
    5). Sonics
    6). Jazz
    7). Timberwolves
    8). Mavericks

9). Rockets
    10). Kings
    11). Grizzlies
    12). Nuggets
    13). Clippers
    14). Warriors

------------------

12. Drofnarc

Drofnarc Member

1. Blazers - Finally put it all together unless they make a stupid trade for Grant.
    2. Lakers - Not enough character to repeat.
    3. Spurs - Team nobody wants to play in the playoffs.
    4. Jazz - Creaky and annoying, but too good to fall just yet.
    5. Suns - Always in the thick of things, never a real contender.
    6. Mavs - 2000 Regular season darlings. Get swept in the 1st round by whoever they meet.
    7. T-Wolves - One man doesn't do it unless his name is Jordan.
    8. Rockets - Hakeem's last game is a playoff game. Never doubt the heart of a champion etc. etc.

-------------------

9. Sonics - Lewis can't make up for 3 other weak spots. Gary P demands to be traded before next season (and ends up a Blazer).
    10. Kings - Webber = GONE
    11. Nuggets - Same song, lame dance.
    12. Grizzlies - A veteran short of being a real team. Othella still looking for warmer weather.
    13. Warriors - whatever.
    14. Clippers - Sucking sound is not NAFTA, its the Clips.

------------------

13. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

[/B][/QUOTE]
    IF Blazers somehow land, Fizer, Center or a PG using combination of Damon, Sheed then they will win a championship. Suns are always flashy, but that's not enough in the game of highest order. With Admiral declining, poor back court(including Derek), I can see Spurs struggling against the lesser lights such as Rockets, Sonics, etc. Jazz are finished, yes they will be really sinking. Sonics, could be a dark horse with Lewis perhaps knocking down McGrady number. Kings will never be stable, with joker white Jason Williams. Without Webber they would have been a serious contender for the second clippers. Denver, Warriors, their name tells us all. Grizz got fantastic core but not enough bench, nor experience to contend the PO. Country's contract will basically block out any chance of Grizz, building dynasty. Finally I believe Mav will improve but they lack really star exception of Finely, even Finely himself is no super star. He is rather mediocre if you compare his to Shaq, Kobe, Iverson, Webber, Kevin Garnett, Duncan, Hill etc. On the other hand Francis has a potential to dominate his position. Dirk is no superstar, (stop dreaming Nellie, he is not even near the calibre of McGrady, Vince(yes he is overrated at this moment), Francis, the plyers which I call the second tier superstars).
    My prediction
    1)Lakers
    2)Blazers
    3)Spurs
    4)Suns
    5)T-wolves
    6)Sonics
    7)Rockets
    8)Jazz

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

14. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

1. Lakers--Shaq & Kobe.
    2. Blazers--Still the deepest in the league.
    3. Timberwolves--I'm gonna take a lot of heat for this, but I think Brandon & Garnett will get it done this year and finally win the division.
    4. Spurs--I know they still have the Twin Towers, but...didn't they have both of them for most of last year, too?
    5. Suns--Still a strong backcourt, but I don't see too many changes.
    6. Rockets--I think we will narrowly edge Utah for the sixth seed IF we can stay completely healthy and Cato is as improved as I'd like to hope.
    7. Jazz--No, we can't get rid of them quite yet. [​IMG] Oh well, seeing them out in the first round will be nice enough.
    8. Mavericks--Courtney Alexander is my rookie of the year. I followed the guy a lot at Fresno, and he is a SCORER.
    9. Sacramento--When winning means more than looking good, then I will move them up in the standings.
    10. Seattle--Unless Lewis can be absolutely HUGE this year, I don't see them much higher.
    11. Vancouver--They are finally going to start to turn around this franchise. Long-term, Swift is the best of the draft.
    12. Denver--Van Exel & McDyess still aren't enough to turn this team around.
    13. L.A. Clippers--Not last in the West? That hasn't happened, well, ever. [​IMG]
    14. Golden State--Ready to claim the Clippers' throne, after years of preparation.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

15. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

1-Those damn Lakers-might choke against Spurs
    2-Spurs-I think they will be the NBA champs
    3-Blazers-deepest team in the league
    4-Suns-improved Marion, healthy Kidd and Googs
    5-Wolves-Garnett's that good
    6-Jazz-holding on to last thread
    7-Kings-Webber's last run
    8-Sonics-Mason and Williams look good, improved Lewis
    9-Rockets-we lose playoff chances in last week of season
    10-Mavs-also real close to making playoffs
    11-Warriors-Jamison and Hughes really shine
    12-Nuggets-Van Exel won't get the job done
    13-Grizzlies-Great young starting 5, but horrible bench
    14-Clippers-continue to be worst franchise in sports, will be fun to watch though with new, young exciting players

------------------
    Kobe would be nothing without Shaq.

16. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

#1. houston rockets : hakeem will prove once again there is only one true big man in the west, and steve francis will explode for an eye bursting 28 ppg season.cuttino,shandon and cato will al factor in. [​IMG]

#2. los angeles lakers: seriously, kobe and shaq can beat anyone now that they've found each other,put anybody with these two, its like putting wilt and mj together, no its exactly like putting wilt and mj together.

#3. portland trail blazers:like the former member scottiepippen6rings said , it will be hard to beat this team, especially if they get kemp and or patrick ewing.

#4. phoenix suns: jason kidd and penny hardaway will have monster years, and adding tony delk to the rotation only makes this team even more potent at the guard rotation.shawn marion and reigning 6th man of the year should be exceptional front court guys.

#5. seattle sonics: this is rashards official coming party, he is really going to make rudy t and carrol dawson get their panties in a bunch this year.payton and lewis is a very underestimated tandom that is going to be noticed before everything is said and done.

#6. utah jazz: john starks is a step up from horny, he will bring the winning mentality to an already hard nose team, look for malone and stockton to put it all on the line this year.

#7. san antonio spurs: the only thing that will be different about the spurs is there old age and bringing back will perdue is going to solidify there oldness, and robinson getting back spasms during the mid way point will solidify his softness.

#8. sacramento kings:cwebb and jdub will get off to a bad start and they will have to dig themselves out of the hole and before they know it they will be out of the playoffs and chris webber will be on his way to nyc.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

17. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

No Brahama, Chris will come to H-town. Apparently New-York is too cold for him (heck what am I talking his from chicago area).
    Soncis will not win the championship and eventually, Payton will demand a trade next year. Lewis will follow Payton;s step by demanding a trade to his home town. Finely will sign for a minimum and Rockets will draft Ed Curry in the draft.
    (Obviously I'm joking, but I do believe if Payton is traded, Lewis not not be safe lock.)
    GO ROCKETS!!!!!!

------------------

18. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

its not a vacation spot its my name BRAHMA. and i never said the sonics will win a championship i just said they will be noticable. and did you have to quote my whole reply?

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

19. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

Sorry for getting you name wrong.

P.S.and i never said the sonics will win a championship
    No, I wasn't mentioning about the sonics I was mentioning about Lewis. I too believe that the Sonics will have a good year with Lewis and Payton developing nice tandem. What I ment Payton will likely demand a trade in order to win the Championship, and there is a possibility that Lewis might also demand a trade, since Sonics will likely to be a lottery team.

------------------

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wilt and MJ together?
    How . . .they will change rules to
    discourage one while change them to
    encourage the other, AT THE SAME TIME?

Or will they be like getting Jordan calls
    together

Kobe is no Jordan
    Shaq *is* a Wilt type player
    No Kobe = Lakers are still top 3 in the West
    No Shaq = Lakers struggling for playoffs.

Rocket River
    I wonder . . . if shaq had a season ending
    injury in October. . . would Phil Quit?
    or take the 'less than great season on his
    stellar record'

------------------