1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your thoughts of Astros going after Kimbrel?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Feb 17, 2019.

1. CinematicFusion

Yes we have Osuna who will be a stud this year but the idea of getting Kimbrel and setting up a Lidge to Wagner 8th/9th would shorten games for us tremendously.
    I feel our offense is going to be stellar this year and our starting pitching will be solid if not excellent.

This is the move to try and make.
    Problems are the contract. I’m sure Kimbrel (who turns 31 in May) wants the moon and back for 6 years and that’s not gonna happen here.... but man if you could get him for two-three years.
    Other problems is Osuna and how that might hurt his ego demoting him to the 8th.
    But man what a one-two punch it would be.
    If I were the Astros, I couldn’t help but explore this. However I do understand Kimbrel’s potential contract takes the Astros along with many teams (including Boston) out of the discussion.

2. HTown2017Champs

Another thing that concerns me about Osuna is his decline in velocity since 2016, as well as his save % not being that great IIRC. If we could get Kimbrel at a reasonable 3 year deal, I'd do it! I'd love to recreate that Lidge/Wagner 1-2 punch. Also, after this season, a ton of our relievers will become FA (Pressly, Rondon, Harris, Smith, also McHugh if you count him), so it relieves (no pun intended) the problem of potentially having to rely on too many young, unproven arms in 2020.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros aren't gonna make a significant financial investment in a closer...nor should they.

If he came down to a reasonable level, somebody would have signed him already.

cbass, No Worries, Nook and 2 others like this.
  4. CinematicFusion

That’s what I mean,if he comes down to a reasonable level....Astros need to take a swing at him. He’s good....real good.
    2-3 year reasonable contract and I’m all in. I’d fight all the other teams for him.
    Astros have a legit shot to win the WS as they are right now....adding Kimbrel would be scary. But yeah....not signing him for 30 million a year.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Osuna blew 1 save in 22 chances last season. Be careful what you wish for if your criteria for a closer is save percentage. Look no further than Ken Giles who has only blown 4 saves in 64 chances the last 2 seasons.

mikol13, Nook and arkoe like this.
  6. CinematicFusion

Word is he wants record breaking deal of 6 years worth 120 million.
    I wouldn’t touch that. He is going to be 31 this year.
    He needs to come back down to a 2-3 year deal at 15-20 million a year.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Wasn’t Kimbrel pretty sketchy last postseason? He certainly was against us. Not saying he isn’t great, but I feel good with Osuna in the 9th. Kimbrel is a luxury move and I’d pass right now and invest the money when we have a better idea of need.

Boki4MvP, Nook and awc713 like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Kimbrel gave up 7 runs in 10 2/3 innings in the postseason, going 6-6 in saves. He had two perfect outings and gave up runs in 5 of 9 appearances.

Osuna gave up 5 runs in 6 innings, going 1-1 in saves. Osuna allowed at least one baserunner in all 4 of his outings, but all of his runs were in one appearance. Oddly, that's very regular-season-Giles-like.

Crutch City likes this.
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

We got our closer when we acquired Osuna.

This team isn’t paying anything exorbitant on our bullpen. Not with the arms we have in our farm. Hard pass on Kimbrel and his super questionable end to 2018.

AznH-TownFan and arkoe like this.
  10. CinematicFusion

I’d sign him for two years 30 million but that isn’t going to happen. Braves need him more.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I can’t think of a realistic scenario where Kimbrel to Houston makes sense. Too likely that Boston or Atlanta offer him more to be somewhere he’d rather be. But those are the same reasons it makes sense to me to bring Keuchel back; sign him for 2-3 years and let Miley/James/McHugh/Peacock compete for the 4-5 spots with the losers going to the bullpen.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Only possible way Luhnow might chase Kimbrel is if Osuna gets hurt. Even then, I expect he would look at the trade market first.

If they signed Kimbrel at a 16 million AAV that would only give the Astros about 5-6 million to add payroll at the deadline and stay under the tax threshold that Crane said they will remain under. I think Luhnow will be after some big fish at the deadline and will want more flexibility than that.

havoc1 likes this.
  13. CinematicFusion

What’s the tax threshold this year? 206 million? What’s the Astros payroll?

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

yes 206 million

Astros payroll is around 185 million for luxury tax purposes.

15. CinematicFusion

Got it, found this...
    2019 Competitive Balance Tax Totals
    PAYROLL TYPE TOTAL
    Competitive Balance Tax Threshold $206,000,000
    Total AAV/Payroll $167,043,929
    Estimated Player Benefits $14,500,000
    Estimated Minor League Contracts $2,500,000
    Proj. Comp. Balance Payroll $184,043,929
    Comp. Balance Tax Space $21,956,071

16. Milos

Milos Member

I always saw JB Bukauskus as our closer-in-waiting
    I know they're still stretching him out as starter in minors, but his 1-2 combo of FB + wicked Slider screams Billy/Lidge
    Might not get a shot to close this year, but seems like his debut from the pen will be in Houston sometime in 2019

awc713 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Future MLB-level closers/relievers get used as starters in the minors, so they get regular work.

18. Grydian

Grydian Member

Dean Deetz is also someone who might be able to close down the road. 100+mph FB with a great slider. Should make the OD roster this year.

19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Osuna’s velocity came back up in 2018 just FYI

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd do it. Osuna doesn't bring the same mound presence as Kimbrel. You want the opponent to feel like they better get it done in the 8th and that's what Kimbrel will deliver. Shut the door on them mentally. I don't think he's lost that edge yet despite showing some cracks.