1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are Yao's greatest strengths?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Dec 5, 2004.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

It's depressing around here to watch all the "trade Yao" posts. I am one of those who believes that its 90% Van Gundy's fault for making our players appear like pure crap.

Imagine for a second that Yao Ming has been traded to Sacramento. In that style of offense he would be averaging 20 and 10 with about 4-5 assists.

Imagine Yao and Kobe playing for Phil Jackson in the triangle offense. Yao would be awesome in that system as well.

Why? Because Yao's greatest strengths are passing and shooting. And the r****d Jeff Van Gundy has totally made those aspects of Yao's game dissapear.

In his rookie year we saw so many awesome passes by Yao. He wouldn't be afraid to take a jump shot and most of the time he would make em too.

Now I dont even recall seeing a Yao Ming fadeaway, his passes are non-existent and everytime he takes a jump shot its an air ball. I bet he is so afraid to take them that he overthinks. Van Gundy has turned Yao into a no-fun, no-pass, run outside to switch on every play, only take jump hook center.

Any of you hating on Yao really think he wouldn't be ten times more effective if we actually played to his strengths instead of emphasizing on his weaknesses?

At the end all I am trying to say is

Fire Gundy!!!

2. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Yao's strength:

Height
    Passing
    Shooting
    Clutch
    Team play

He needs the right players around him to succeed. But again,
    every great player needs that.

3. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

still a firm believer in it being our players fault

with maybe 10 % being van grumpy's

4. fa7999

fa7999 Member

50% Gumpy's fault

5. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

Yoa's only strenth is his size.

His passing is below par... he has terrible hands... and he is leading the rockets in turnovers (2.83 a game).

6. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

I do agree that Van Grumpy is bad at developing players and Yao could be more productive in the Kings or Phil Jackson's system. But its only Yao's fault that he picks up stupid fouls and doesnt play consistently. He has shown flashes of greatness over the Van Grumpy era but has not been able to do it night in and night out. I still have faith in him taht he will regain some of the confidence that he seems to have lost and finish this season averaging 20 and 10.

Oh and yeah FIRE GUNDY !!!

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

well..Yao can be a great passer when he wants to be. He certainly has the vision. He is a pretty good shooter but seems off this year. Often times Yao won't use his height to his advantage and I don't about about being clutch, at least yet. His rebounding is below par though he seems to have done quite well the past two games.

Regarding Van Gundy:
    He's supposed to be a great defensive coach, though often times when watching games, I don't know what makes him a great defensive coach. Teams always somehow get open or have a player that is somewhere open on the peremiter and are able to run around freely and drop the ball inside for an easy bucket. Yet when we're on the offensive end our players get trapped, we can't get the ball inside etc. and I don't think I need to elaborate on his offense we know all about that

8. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

When we drafted Yao, we knew he was a project. We didnt' expect him to produce anytime soon. However, Yao surprised us with his soft shooting touch, and excellent passing. Then, all of a sudden, we found hope, and we put all the pressure on Yao, who is still a project. Yeah. Yao has many weaknesses. But isn't that the coach's job to help Yao correct his bad habits and cover his weaknesses? Isn't that the coach's job to teach Yao the correct techniques to rebound, how to avoid fouls, and things in that nature? 'cause yu have to remember Yao didnt' play in NCAA, which means it's hard, and takes longer time for Yao to get used to NBA.

it's been more than 2 years. look what JVG has done to Yao. Because of JVG, Yao thinks way too much on the court. As a result, he simply cant' get into the flow, and he just cant' be himself. look what JVG has done to T-Mac. look what he did to Steve. He forces his players to fit his system at the expense of their games. But, the probem is that his system is not great. Remember that Yao's no-look pass to stever at all star game. remember how well they played together at all star game. That should give a a tiny glimpse of how good Yao can be if he's given right system, and freedom.

When Yao plays for Rox, when Yao plays for JVG, he's too tense. He's too afraid of making mistakes. He's too afraid of letting JVG down. If Yao's relaxed, he will perform at a much different lvl.

9. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

So it was SF, Mobley, and Cato's faults afterall.

10. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

90% Van Gundy's fault? Are you kidding me? It's more like 90% Yao's fault for Yao's problems.

Look, we're not firing JVG anytime soon, I hope not. So let's see where this team is at till midseason. Let Tmac shoot. Let Yao mop up. Let JVG coach. And let the fans calm down.

11. dback816

dback816 Member

JVG is trying to change Yao's game, and it's not working too hot.

Changing playing style is not that easy. So who's fault is it? JVG for doing something dumb or Yao not changing fast enough?

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Passing - how many EYE POPPING passes did he have 2 years ago
    notice how is drifted off last year

2 years ago he was automatic from the elbow AND THE FREE THROW LINE
    notice how that has drifted away

Remember the Shanghai Shake. . . . .

Rocket River
    YAo needs a different teacher besides EWING

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I completly agree and have been saying the exact same thing. From when he was a rookie to now he has lost any kind of creativity he had. He has been forced to be this statue that sets picks 20 feet out.

JVG has transformed him into the player he is right now to work under this crappy offensive system that we have.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Once again, I fully agree.

FIRE EWING.

15. Stack24

Ewing sucks...i wasn't so mad when we got JVG as i was to hear that Ewing would be his assistant.

I thought it would at least give Yao a chance to become stronger and beat on people and be aggresive. I was looking at the bright side. But as i really thought, there was no bright side..just a crappy assistant Coach.

16. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

What happened to Moses? Didn't he want a part of Yao? Imagine Moses on Yao!

17. Stack24

Even Kareem came out and said he would love to teach Yao the sky hook which he said would make "yao Unstoppable in the pain" but they didnt' even follow up on that..i mean isn't there a big mans camp that he could go to or at least do it on his own.

I mean Hakeem even helped Shaq in the early years in the big man camp but nothing for yao.

18. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

What the hell does Yao need a big man coach for?

It's not rocket science, no pun intended, that Yao needs to grow a pair. I don't think a HOF big man needs to be paid 6 figures to tell Yao to be aggressive.

Until Yao himself realizes that playing patty cake isn't going to cut it in the NBA, he won't ever be more than a Rik Smits-type.

19. Stack24

I don't think it's about only being aggresive. He still needs to learn where to catch the ball int he paint. How to hold the ball up high and not bring it down where people can steal it. Also work on a hook or something that will be hard to stop you know....it's not as much about being aggresive cause even i can teach him that.

it's the little things it takes to be in position and play as a big man that he really needs to be taught that Ewing is not able to do.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

how much basketball have you played in your life?

Rocket River
    seeing something on TV and actually doing at a high level
    are TOTALLY DIFFERENT :mad: