1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the best careers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Jan 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

What about pharmacist and vet?

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Any industrial engineers here?

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned astronaut or space diver as yet.

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I'm graduating with a mechanical engineering degree from UoH this semester. There are a ton of jobs in a lot of different fields. I did a co-op for about 1.5 years at a high speed centrifugal blower company while going to school...I've had 5 job offers already in 4 different fields. It's pretty tough, but very doable if you stay with a good group of folks and don't mess around too much. Although many of the people that started at the same time I did thought it was too hard and went into accounting or finance. More than 50% of people that go into engineering fail out or leave b/c they aren't prepared to put in the sacrifices needed to succeed. I always remember that line in the movie swimming with the sharks...so simple but so meaningful..."You have to ask yourself...what do you really want?"

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Congrats. How long does that take?

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Thanks! It's a 4 year degree, although if you've gotten all the prereqs at a community college it'll probably only take 3...but they'll look more highly on letting you into the program if you get the prereqs at UoH.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That's the **** I don't like. Is it competitive to get in it?
    I thought it was medical field that limited students.

8. Severe Rockets Fan

If you have good grades in math (cal 1-3 and engineering math) and physics (1 cal based) you should be fine to get in (at least a 3.0)...but if you're struggling in those early classes it wouldn't be a good idea to try to enter as the classes get considerably harder. I don't think they really limit students, I maybe be wrong though. They generally let you in if you have the grades. The first two years are tough, but once you get past those it's actually a lot easier.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Those aren't exactly easy.

10. Precision340

Precision340 Member

anxiety-laden professional basketball player in the nba

11. smr6

smr6 Member

The job market for accounting is strong currently. The reason being that every company needs the accounting function, and combine that with the constant changing of the accounting standards that are become increasingly more in-depth and complex. This creates a higher demand from professionals with accounting degrees.

As for the parking, she uses the Metro. So I can't really help much there.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Can't thank you enough.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The two most important parts of a company are HR and IT... sadly IT doesn't get treated nearly as important as HR. But there will always be a need for both.

14. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Now i'm not so sure if i want to go the process technology route. Everything i read seems to tell me it's going to be tough to find work. Also that it's math heavy? I'm absolutely terrible at math and hate it so damn much. Is this all true?

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

How many different names does a process technician have? I couldn't find one job on indeed. Unless they are call pipeline operators, field technicians, pipeline engineers......

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Wondering what anyone knows about strategic sourcing/purchasing, logistics or supply chain management, or IT procurement or (IT/non-IT) project management.

17. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Royce White is such a waste. I can only dream to have what he has.

18. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Also, is Alvin CC the best option to get this degree? I'm in the NW area and i guess HCC is closest, but i would choose Alvin if that one has a better rep.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Professional fapper

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've only heard them referred to as Operators before this thread. I know for a fact that's what they were called at Amoco/BP in Texas City. But that's owned by Marathon now so I don't know if they're going by a different name now.

1 person likes this.