1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what are everyone's thoughts on hakeem??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alaskansnowman, Dec 2, 1999.

1. alaskansnowman

i am always hearing that hakeem is being selfish and is slowing down the running game. I know that he is slowing down the running game, but is he really selfish?

I recall reading a post that talked about a certain play where hakeem actually slowed francis down so that he could catch up to post up!!

If all this and all the other crap that i'm hearing is true, then I must say that I'm very disappointed in hakeem.

1.) Look at charles!! he is very willing to get out and run the floor, or at least encourage running and a more diverse offense.

2.) I think Hakeem MUST come off the bench. I am hearing a lot now that having both Hakeem and Charles on the floor at the same time, clog up the lane. That means people like Shandon, Rogers, etc. cannot cut throught the lane. that might explain shandon's offensive production so far. He use to get 4 to 6 more points by doing those cuts and all in Utah.

*Another reason for Hakeem coming off the bench: it helps our fastbreak. When Hakeem is off the court, we fastbreak much much better. when him and charles are together on the floor, we don't fastbreak as well as we can. the reason for this is that we <h4>usually</h4> have 2-3 players running downcourt. Charles doesn't run that much unless he's the one bringing the ball up court(with his fancy behind the back dribble!). With Cato and Charles, we can run the floor better. With Rogers(or tmass maybe) and Hakeem, we can run the floor better because we will always have 4 people running downcourt.

*yet another reason for hakeem coming off the bench. Our bench would be SOO much stronger! In the starting lineup, i don't see hakeem do too much because we have charles in there to post up. with hakeem on the floor while charles is resting, we can use hakeem more(he can take the 2nd string centers to school).

3.) hakeem's game needs to be base more on shooting the 15-18 footer. If hakeem does not come off the bench like i had hoped, then i think we should diversify our offense even more by setting screens and stuff so that hakeem can shoot the jump shot. we can't give it to hakeem in the post too much because he is just not as great as he was before. with francis driving and dishing, and hakeem swishing that jumper, our offense would become so much better.

4.) Hakeem needs to adapt to this new game. He has got to accept his oldness and get on with it like barkley.

5.) ONe more thing about hakeem comin off the bench: when hakeem is off the injured list, he's going to come off the bench for aobut a week anyway. So, it's not so much as moving him to the bench, it's a matter of keeping him there. And last off all, we have a GREAT starting center in kelvin cato to fill olajuwon's spalding shoes.

any comments??

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I dont think Hakeem would like that. He is a dumbass. He wants the ball. He wants to shoot all the time. I think Rudy needs to tell him straight up. You either let the young guys take most the shots or you will get traded!!

Im tired of him demanding the ball everytime. He is boring and He thinks he still can lead this team.

3. Caveman

Caveman Member

A Great Player.
    A Selfish Player.
    An Old Player.

That is Hakeem's game right now. He and Rudy has been THE road block to Rockets fulfillment of their poteintial with that stuborn D-I-T post up system.

------------------
    Rockets' biggest problem is not player talent levels, it is the coach's ineptitude.

4. Barzilla

Barzilla Member

After watching the Rockets for the past several games without Hakeem a few things have come into focus.

1) This team is easing into the running system. The first half against Phoenix was absolutely beautiful. Everyone was involved and easy baskets were a plenty. However, we continue to to throw it down low in crunch time. Someone needs to pull away the crutch.

2) Looking back on life before Charles, it seems to me that players like Clyde, Max, Horry, and Elie were able to show some creativity in the offense. This is because Hakeem was the only legitimate low post threat. I think selfishness doesn't really capture the whole idea. After three seasons, Charles is criticized for hogging the ball, and then all the sudden Hakeem gets hurt and he's the one to blame. It isn't that simple. We have to realize that both Charles and Hakeem like the left block, and each needs a certain number of touches to feel comfortable. When both are in the game or even if both are in the rotation they both need their touches. That means that you spend at least half of the game running it through the post. When one is out then you are only concerned with getting one his touches so you can spend the rest of the time running or playing off the penetration.

So, what are my thoughts on Hakeem? I think Hakeem is still very valuable because he is the best defensive post we have. When you add his shot blocking presence with his ability to get 2-3 steals a game then you are looking at someone even better than Cato. Offensively, he isn't the force he once was, but you can't throw it all on him or Barkley. The double post concept has never really worked as well as was thought when we first acquired Charles.

------------------
    Rockets When? Rockets When?

5. daddyoh

daddyoh New Member

Hey guys yall make me sick, Fracis3 how do yu call Hakeem a dumbass,how dare you you foul stinking fool. say whaTEVER YOU WANT TO SSAY ABOUT ABOUT DREAM BUT NO INSULTS. now you are happy that he is hurt,go get you some bananas you sf.

6. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

lol Clutchfans legends used to call their best player ever a dumbass hahahahaha.

how unsurprising that is.

#6 LeDakota, Dec 23, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    RocketsFido, aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  7. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Hakeem would be very upset to read this kind of comments. Terrible attitude by Clutchfans legend posters.

aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you do realize the guy you're trying to troll hasn't been on the board in over twenty years?

[​IMG]

JumpMan, topfive and Plowman like this.
  9. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Once a clutchfans legend, always a legend. His status is perpetual and nobody can take that away from him. He also represents you as a premium plus clutchfans legend. That poster is a symbol of your intelligence level.

[​IMG]

#9 LeDakota, Dec 23, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

@LeDakota needs to pass a Clutchfans history test before being allowed to necrobump ancient threads.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SecretWildAztecant-size_restricted.gif

Easy likes this.
  12. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

so you mean it’s ok to call your best player ever a dumbass?

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

14. Garner

Garner Member

This is fascinating to see fans, in the moment watching a guy night to night, doubt a player who would, decades later, be unquestionably registered as one of the best.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lucid dream.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Great, a necrobump of a thread for no reason other than to poke another user in the face.

The new recruits around here are delusional in their arrogance.

Easy and Plowman like this.