1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What a GAME!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocksMillenium, Feb 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I can't believe the East WON that game! Iverson and Marbury were awesome, and Iverson shouldn't have been MVP, Mutumbo should have been. He completely shut down the West inside game and grabbed 21 rebounds, the most in NBA All-Star history. Great ending. 111-110, what a major league choke job by the West! Good game in the second half.

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited February 11, 2001).]

2. Steve_Francis_rules

It was a great game, but I agree with Iverson being MVP, so maybe Mutombo could have been co-MVP because they both deserved it.

------------------
    The whole world we travel with our thoughts,
    Finding nowhere anyone as precious as one's own self.
    Since each and every person is so precious to themselves
    Let the self-respecting harm no other being. -from the Samyutta Nikaya

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

This looked like it would be one of the worst all-star games ever, and it turned out to be the best! Amazing!

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I agree, very entertaining. Webber was soooo close to tipping it in at the buzzer. Mutumbo was the MVP, in my opinion. I could see players staying away from the paint because of him.

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

5. University Blue

Tied (with Barkley) for the most rebounds.

(That's about ten days for Atlanta to work a trade.)

------------------
    "Breaking up is hard to do...[with] everyone trying to make it a parting befitting all the professionalism that came before. Trying to find that Olajuwon graceful fade one more time."

Scott Howard-Cooper (Sacramento Bee, ESPN.com)

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Gosh, I am a fan of the west, but I really wanted Allen Iverson to win the MVP and by the end, I was really pulling for the east. WHAT A GAME!! Dikembe Mutombo made a good case for the mvp too.

------------------
    consultant, n.: Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

No... it's not the most.

They showed a list of all the All-Star records sometime in the first quarter.

27 rebounds is the record. I forget who got it.

They just said that before Mutombo tonight, Barkley was the last one to score over 20 rebs in an All-Star game.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

8. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I'm kinda glad the east won or Kobe would have won MVP. No one wants to see something like that happen.

------------------
    Hakeem, Hasaw, Haconquered.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

My mistake guys, I SWORE I heard someone say it was the most in NBA history. Man they should have at least had a co-MVP with Iverson and Mutumbo, those were some awesome performances tonight. It would have been fitting to, half an MVP for a dominant offensive performance, and a half of the MVP for a dominant DEFENSIVE performance.

HAHAHA! [​IMG]

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited February 11, 2001).]

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

That would be Bob Pettit of the St. Louis Hawks...

I can't BELIEVE that Kobe passed up that shot in the final seconds and gave it to Duncan...He was on fire, and would have won the MVP had he made that shot

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I think Mutombo switching out on Kobe had something to do with. Deke really pressured him on the previous shot even though he made it.

I taped the game but only watched the last 4 minutes. Anyone else see some parallels in the East team and the style the Rocks could play if Dream and Cato were both healthy for an entire season?

------------------
    GATER

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Well Kobe made the smartest decision in passing on that last play to Duncan. I don't think its right that Kobe would get the ball and the shots every time in the last 2 minutes with that many stars on one team.

I think Mutumbo definitely should have been MVP...if they wouldn't have gotten those boards from him, they get blown out. There were plenty of guys that I think could have scored in the end for the East, but none could pull down the rebounds he did. Maybe if the Rockets can't get CWebb next summer, go after Dike...we'll have plenty of cap room.

------------------
    "Steve is good. Steve is real good."
    -- Cleveland's rookie point guard Andre Miller on Rocket rookie point Steve Francis

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Iverson sparked the comeback, and Mutombo kept it going. They both really deserved the award. Especially for a good guy like Dikembe.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

14. Steve_Francis_rules

Mutombo is too old for the rockets, he only has a couple good years left.

------------------
    The whole world we travel with our thoughts,
    Finding nowhere anyone as precious as one's own self.
    Since each and every person is so precious to themselves
    Let the self-respecting harm no other being. -from the Samyutta Nikaya

15. DJ

DJ Member

People do not score rebounds, they grab rebounds.

------------------