1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whale Flatulence Stuns Scientists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MR. MEOWGI, Aug 14, 2003.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Maybe this is what killed that thing that washed up on shore a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

By Simon Benson
    14aug03

IT'S one of the unfortunate consequences of being a mammal - flatulence.

And, more unfortunately for a group of whale researchers, nature took its course right under their noses - literally.

The researchers claim this is the first photograph of a minke whale letting one go in the icy waters of Antarctica. It was taken from the bow of aresearch vessel.

"We got away from the bow of the ship very quickly ... it does stink," said Nick Gales, a research scientist from the Australian Antarctic Division.

However, the episode did not detract from their mission, which was to collect DNA from whale dung and attach satellite tracking devices in the first research of its kind to track where the creatures go and what and how much they eat.

Already some incredible stories about whales are emerging.

One pigmy blue whale wearing a satellite tracking tag was found to be returning to a former population off southern Australia which was thought to have been hunted to extinction by Russian whalers.

"Every piece of this research is surprising," said Dr Gales.

"Some is confirming what we thought. We know a lot about humpbacks, but we don't know anything about where they are going.

"Internationally there is a big push ... saying there are now too many whales eating too many fish and so we have to kill them.

"It's important that we determine what impact whales actually have on a fishery such as krill ... and how that fishery interacts with the whale."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,6947020%255E421,00.html

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That whale looks more like he's bleeding from his ass than farting. Gross!

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The lessen to be learned from this is there should be no smoking on whale-watching charters.

4. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I like that as a name for a band and debut album

Whale Flatulence:
    Stuns Scientist

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I think you have it backwards.
    band: The Stunned Scientists
    album: Whale Flatulence

6. underoverup

underoverup Member

Literally.

7. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Underoverup... were you just trying to explain the title of the thread? Or is your album called literally?

The Stunned Scientists is a great band name. Only on this board...

smoking on the charters.....heh heh ....

8. underoverup

underoverup Member

No I was talking about Litter Alley, an area of the ocean known for whale flatulence. There was enough flatulence to fill one cubic liter in the alley. After the whale released the flatulence it was feeling a little liter er I mean lighter. Blue Whales are so named because a whaler once lit up its fart. This was before the invention of harpoons and made the whales easier to catch-- they would simply blow up in a mighty blue flame often mistaken for the Northern lights.

9. LeGrouper

Oh... right....o.k.....of course....

10. underoverup

underoverup Member

All this talk of whales reminds me of a summer I spent fishing in France, I caught alot of Legrouper.

11. LeGrouper

Have you really laid down 640 posts of totally guileless humor or are you just having a really off day....

12. LeGrouper

Seriously though, is that pink stuff the fart? What in the hell? Wouldn't that be more of a krillfilled crap or something?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a great name for a group. Seriously. :)
    The album title ain't bad, either.

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It was probably something that didn't settle in it's something..........

15. underoverup

underoverup Member

Well maybe I have 640 posts of so-called bad humor, but your 1200+ --the last of which deals with pink stuff coming out of Le Pooper--is there a real point? I have the strange feeling the majority of your posts have come from the same place. :p

16. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

The scientists are there to collect DNA from whale crap and they complain about the whales letting one loose. "It does stink"... I'm sure the dung doesn't, huh? LOL:D

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Does that mean there is DNA in dinosaur coprolites?

18. LeGrouper

Whoa, Anti has chosen to take a Whale Flatulence post and turn it into a cloning post. Strange, leaping mind you have there friend.