1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We've been to the Finals winning only 40 Games before.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tanviraman, Apr 13, 2016.

1. tanviraman

tanviraman Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong I'm not predicting an upset. I actually expect a competitive series, and a similar result to last year. We will probably lose 2-3 really close games and that will be the difference.

However our franchise is a playoff performing franchise. We are like the opposite of the Spurs. The Spurs are the greatest regular season franchise, but they never really over perform in the playoffs. They have actually underperformed many times. We are slightly above average in the regular season, but have had some magical playoff runs including last year, 81,86, and 95.

Maybe we need history on our side. Our playoff runs in the past, the 95 Nuggets, the 99 Knicks, and the 2007 Warriors.

2 people like this.
  2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I am not a fan of the Spurs, but I don't believe your facts are correct, breh.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't know numbers too well but

Isn't 5 > 2 ?

4. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

[​IMG]

5. ibm

ibm Member

"We've been to the Finals winning only 40 Games before"?

who is "we"? and when did that happen? didnt see it in the op.

6. tanviraman

We beat the Spurs twice in the playoffs when they were the best record in the west and NBA. 81 and 95. Yes the Spurs won in 99 in a short season, but never were able to beat the Lakers in their 3 peat run, and 03 beat a lakers team that was done(didn't face the Kings with no Webber that year the most talented team. 05 and 2014 they may have over performed by beating the defending champs, but they had homecourt and were the better team. 07 was a joke, they played nobody good.

Before the Duncan era they always choked in the playoffs. Yes 5 championships are a lot, but no repeats and many disappointing playoff runs. They were always 2nd best to the Lakers teams. They blew 2-0 leads in 2004 to a ****ty Lakers team, and in 2012 to a young but inexperienced OKC team. They also had a chance to put the clippers away last year and the Heat in 2013.

We beat teams we were not suppose to beat in our runs, the Spurs have not. That's all I'm saying. 5 is better than 2 but I don't consider 1999-now the best years of NBA basketball. In the 80's and 90's, the Spurs might be the Utah Jazz of the NBA.

7. tanviraman

1981 Houston Rockets- staring Calvin Murphy, Rudy T, and Moses Malone. We beat the champion Lakers, top west team Spurs in the second round. Lost to the Celtics in the finals.

8. tanviraman

I'm not saying the Rockets are a better franchise, I'm saying we're opposites. The rockets have underperformed relative to their seeding and homecourt in the playoffs like twice. 2007 and 2014. The Spurs relative to their homecourt atleast 10 times. And when you reverse that, where the rockets didn't have homecourt they have performed well in series, and the Spurs historically have not.

9. dianelo

dianelo Member

LMAO at the comments on the Spurs.

One thing I do agree. It's hard to and the Rockets shouldn't under perform in the post season as compared to the ****ty regular season they're having.

10. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

You are dumb. I'll take the Spurs under performance any day compared to us.

11. tanviraman

That's great, go be a Spurs fan. And I'll just continue to be dumb since I'm sure you know so much about basketball.

Btw I never said that the Rockets were better than the Spurs because of it, I just said it was very much the opposite. Spurs have been to the finals 6 times and won 55 games in a season like 18 times probably. Rockets have been to the finals 4 times and won 55 games like 4 times. I'm just stating the difference. Based on history the Rockets and Spurs may have an equal chance to make it to the finals because of the Warriors.

12. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

its a hard stand to take, but i see the point the thread starter is making. i too believe the rockets as a team throughout its history when they were winning, hasnt had many gaudy regular season wins compared to the spurs, at least starting from the david robinson years.

even hakeem, as good as his regular season numbers, weren't the same as playoff hakeem, which might contribute to why some people thought david robinson was on the same level, at least prior to 95 playoffs.

13. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

there's the jinx. sweep confirmed.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

None of those guys are walking through that door man.

15. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Like when we were upset in the first round by Portland two years ago.

And unlike the magical years you reference, there are still players in common with that team. There's no such thing as being a "playoff performing franchise." You really think franchises have qualities that are separate from the players, executives, coaches and ownership? That's absurd. The Warriors were a losing franchise until they weren't. Mostly because they had terrible ownership, coaches, executives and players...until they didn't.

16. tanviraman

That was barely an upset- 4-5 matchup. Which happened in 2007 too. But that's really it. We performered to our record last year with virtually the same team, management, and coaching. And in 2009 we played way past our potential losing Mutombo, Yao, and Tmac. That was with the same management too. You don't believe in clutch city and that's ok. I believe in franchise history a little bit. Until the Red Sox came back from 3 down to beat the Yankees, I would have bet on the Yankees still. Hell until the Ws beat the Spurs at their place after 33 loses in a row, I would have kept betting on the Spurs. I still do not believe in the Cubs either.

Don't get me wrong, what you are saying is much more logical than me. I did preface the thread by saying I accept the Warriors to win the series.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good post and valid points about the Spurs choking. They should have 10 rings.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What ?

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you may have forgotten 1994 . you know, when we had the 2nd best record in the nba and won a championship.

This has to be one of the worst historically incorrect posts in the history of Clutchfans, maybe the history of the universe.

#19 tinman, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

The problem with this is that the Rocket team that made it to the Finals with only 40 or so wins has nothing to do with this current Rocket Team, in fact none of the management is even the same.

The Spurs who you feel underperformed in the 90s also have nothing to do with this spurs team of recent years that have won titles.