1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook wins games we wouldn't have won in the past

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

incorrect. please re-watch the games. check stats.

2. vince

vince Member

Chris Paul was excellent in 2017/18 season. Not so much in 2018/19 season.... I’ve heard the Carmelo Anthony situation could have jaded him. Could have been that he thought he was an equal to a Harden, and he found out he wasn’t! Regardless, CP3 was not looking like good value after signing that massive contract.

I think that Harden and Westbrook really respect each other, and I haven’t seen Russell try and pry this team from Harden. I think via respect wise Russell is better next to Harden, than even a CP3 that seems to have resurfaced to his better self, and much improved over last year.

Russell and James are two ferocious superstars... And the best part is they have mutual respect for each other.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I watched every single game. He was terrible.

Lurch, HP3 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

WB in the last 8 games 29, 7, 7.... this is with playing with a guy averaging 40.

This is a level cp3 just can’t get to. I love the guy but at this point in his career it was good to make this move.

Mazulis, gotsis, Reeko and 7 others like this.
  5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Absolutely an accurate take
    I think rockets made the trade thinking by at the latest next year it will be Westbrook >> paul

Mazulis, smp and MettaWorldPete like this.
  6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

That Paul unfortunately no longer exists

D-rock likes this.
  7. JackLordsHair66

True he has settled in it appears and perhaps his knee and finger issues are finally resolving because he has been a monster the last 8-10 games even carried us in a few of them when Harden was having an off night. I was very critical of him especially in the beginning but he is winning me over with his intensity and energy plays. I loved CP the first year and still consider him a better over all point guard and defender but he can't play like Russ has played in the Clips game or tonight, CP doesn't have that level in him any longer. If we can continue to clean up the defense and Ego comes back and gets his legs under him and is back to being Ego we have something going on for sure (still worried about teams with length like LAL and Bucks but maybe we can add a piece before the deadline).

Patience likes this.
  8. realonemo

realonemo Member

Brodie is a threat to get 30 10 10 any game and that's huge because it takes so much pressure off James. I still think 2017-18 CP3 is the best Harden teammate in Hardens' run in Houston. Its possible Russ can be that later in the season but the defense is what gives CP the advantage. CP3 would be a really good 3rd guy at this stage in his career. He got exposed in the playoffs struggling to beat bigs 1-1. If the pecking order was James and lets say a guy like Butler/any all-star player, and then CP3, that would be more ideal than CP as a #2.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Its called Tuckman’s model - look it up. Whenever you fundamentally change the makeup of a team, the team often regresses until they establish their “new” normal. It’s simply too early to be comparing CP3’s play last year against Westbrook’s because the Team is adjusting to the change in personnel - people fill different roles, new defensive & offensive leaders emerge, players are realizing they have to run the break more and find the right spots on the break - these are just a few fairly dramatic changes since last year not to mention Harden and Westbrook figuring out when each should be Batman or Robin. Also keep in mind Eric Gordon is a big part of our rotation and he hasn’t had that “on court” time to adjust to playing with Westbrook. I would hope Ego is back soon so he can start picking up some of that adjustment work and we can start rounding into shape somewhere around game 60 or so.

TAB, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  10. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

Nothing but Love and Respect for our team. We have the heart of a champion. Sometimes the failures in life strengthen our hearts and drive us to be better. Then, the strength starts to flow, the Love starts to grow, and chemistry blossoms. Each man becomes like an organ of the body working together such that the sum is greater than the individual parts. This is how championship teams are born. #remembertheAlamo #down25andcamebackgunsblazing #clutchcity #doubleclutch #tripleclutchatlast #2020isouryear #insh’Allah

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I find it funny, CP3 didn't try to pry away the team from Harden.

He prolly wanted Harden to move faster without the ball, move more off ball.... that was all, and perhaps respect Melo tad more.

It is really funny that a grown up professional like Harden cannot listen to a PG gawd but rather listens to his childhood buddy.

tycoonchip likes this.
  12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Correct. There is probably no better attacker in the league than Russell Westbrook. So if you double Harden, Westbrook coming downhill full speed is a nightmare. The Rockets imo need another 3&D PF but we are looking really unstoppable right now

D-rock, Stephen_A and jcmoon like this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

You could make the same argument for the losses, in the end it's not about Westbrook and Harden. They just have to play up to their contracts, albeit, it's much harder for Westbrook to reach that as he ages.

It's about the surrounding pieces and proper coaching and also an owner who's willing to pay out for a title chance instead of worrying about the luxury taxes every year.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Anyone trying to argue he's a better player than 17-18 Paul, I mean.....I dont know what else to say(i respect all opinions), but its factually incorrect. Dont try to compare those two players because it will be Chris Paul every time.

Right now though....yea Brodie is prolly better.

smp and vince like this.
  15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Harden didn’t want to listen to Paul telling him what to do when Paul couldn’t even beat a lumbering big man off the dribble anymore. In 17-18 Harden was happy to defer at times, but last year CP3 was ineffective isolating.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think people misunderstood why Paul was brought in.

I think his contract also confused everyone.

Surely, fans expected a star player for 40 million. That is fair. (He didn't get 40 million the first year he played here.)

I think the Number 1 reason he was shipped here, is his veteran leadership and keeping Harden accountable in the Playoffs.

He just did his job, Harden got annoyed the longer he stayed. 40 million contract aside.

Let's just tell what it was!

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah house is solid but he’s not an elite defender the likes of Covington or Ariza in his prime. Cov would solidify the front 5 and our small ball lineups.

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Problem with these haters is that they expect perfection. Some of these same haters praise and covet other players who are far from perfect. Donkey, Greek Freak etc. I wonder if those guys played for us these haters would be as critical. Yao was far from perfect but people loved him in Houston. He could do no wrong. So why is it that fans are critical? If it's not purely based on the work and production of the players then is it something else? That's why I stand firmly when I say it's al the above when it comes to people's judgements on Harden, Westbrook, Steve Francis etc. You can fill in the blanks and let your imagination run wild when I say it's all the above.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He rather listen to the guy that has made out of the second round.

Patience likes this.
  20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I don’t see why Harden’s opinion of another player, especially a washed volume scorer with a chip on his shoulder, should impact the relationship between the two star players on a team. It’s Harden’s team. Why should he have to kowtow to a minimum salary free agent just because he’s buddies with Chris?