1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook signs contract extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Sep 29, 2017.

1. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Good for him. I've always had a lot of respect for guys who, once they've earned their max, stick with their team and their city rather than chasing fame and branding all around the country.

The luxury tax bills for this team are going to be insanity if they can pull off their plan.

I've also always had a lot of respect for guys who ruin Laker fans' day.

roslolian likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think this says anything about what PG and Melo do next offseason.

What it says is someone offered Westbrook $233 million, offered him a one year salary at a max of almost $50 million, and he said you know what, ok, I guess I'll sign that, lol. Granted, he didn't have to, but it's also part of his branding now. Staying loyal, being that one man wrecking crew last season, keeping OKC relevant so they could make these moves and see what happens.

I really love Westbrook's persona.

I remain unsold on him as the 1 or 1a or 1b guy.

He already had KD next to him, and that didn't quite work out.

Billy Donovan MIGHT have the hardest job in the NBA this year. Or it might all click and work. Who knows?

roslolian and malakas like this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Don't blame him and good for him.

Sure, PG and Melo may split, but he has a super aggressive GM that seems to know what he's doing. Many players don't seem to account for that or understand that. Props to Thunder, have a feeling he'll be seeing Harden in the playoffs all throughout his career.

amaru likes this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

The last one or two years of this contract are going to be the worst contract of this league.
    I didn't really expect he will sign it, but nonetheless good for OKC.

Now as for George what he has been telling lately proves to me that he's more likely to go than stay. It's basically if we reach the finals or WCF only then I will stay.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I hope so...he's who I was dreaming about getting this summer, but OKC went and got him for scraps

I'm not ready to say that PG will for sure go to LA

6. Nook

Nook Member

*shrugs*

The West is already tough, adding Paul George to the Thunder over the next 3-4 years doesn't likely change anything long term for the Rockets.

If the Rockets are going to compete with the Warriors, they will need to be better than the Thunder anyway. They are just another tough out in the playoffs.

Let's also see if the Thunder ownership is willing to pay the luxury tax long term.

It is good for the game that players like Harden and Westbrook remain with their teams.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

I never really saw a reason for him to go. Only if other premier players followed then yeah maybe. But LA has nobody and if he goes there hell go right back to losing

8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

OKC still has a ton of question marks. Their 3 stars are very good, but they are all at a BBIQ level below CP3, Lebron, Harden, or Curry, and their coach is nothing special. They seem like a team built to underachieve in the playoffs.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

if Lebron goes to LA or any other WC team (hopefully Houston), then u might as well just throw the EC in the trash...there will be barely any stars or good teams left

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

boston instantly becomes the new cleveland

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, there's not really any basketball reasons for him to go there unless another star or 2 is going there along with him

a lot of people talk as if PG to LA is a wrap tho

12. JayZ750

Random question... but how does CP3's cap hold work for next offseason?
    I mean if they released their rights to everyone, if they want to keep CP3s cap hold, I think they are still looking at having to move Ryno... this time either for no cap space back or in a sign and trade, to be able to get to the max or near max space required to sign a free agent?

Also of interest is what DM does during the year. Does he take on a longer term contract if he thinks it improves the team?

That said, PG3 seems like the supersized version of Ariza that would be awesome with this lineup, if you just switched him and Ariza.

I know he's a free agent, but you really got to be curious where DM and the Rockets stood in their efforts to get PG this summer? Were they too laser focused on Melo because they thought he was a for sure get without losing any other assets? Vs. the opportunity to maybe offer Eric Gordon and Clint for PG? Which might seem like a lot for a guy who was insistent he's headed towards LA... but in this "arms race" DM keeps talking about, isn't CP3, Harden, PG the 3 headed tandem you have to start with??

13. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

morey should've went all out

instead we get the older star who wants a 5 year deal max 33-38y years old

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For Paul George, it would have to be LeBron going there. So you would have PG/LeBron + some blue chip youth and likely cheap vets to be added. That grouping could easily reach current OKC levels. Then you have the fringe benefits for PG on playing "at home" and all of the LA marketing.

What I am saying is not PG leaving OKC (even assuming success) for an uncertain LA team. It is PG leaving OKC for a pairing with LeBron.

15. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

If Carmelo has a great season, he might. It's possible some team overpays him like 90 to 100 mil for 4 years which would take him all the way to the age of 38.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, the Thunder will pay the LT this year. And MIGHT next year, but doubtful they will stick with that.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh ok. nothing really strikes as Lebron and pg13 being the next pairing with extreme youth though. but i guess in that scenario i can see what you're saying

18. JayZ750

You'll get to see first hand if there's a reason for him to go next offseason - aren't you in LA?

I'm a Lonzo believer ;) Not saying the Lakers are going to make the playoffs, and I think he'll struggle with his shot, and his dad is crazy, but if Ingram can make that jump, if Lonzo can prove immediately he is a ROY level player especially as it impacts winning (the stuff out of camp is already dumb buzz about how his "teams" - whoever they are for each practice - are sweeping the scrimmage sessions).

Even if its not Lebron, and not now Westbrook.

PG13 plus Cousins, or a good duo for them to get would be PG13 and Avery Bradley.
    Ball, Bradley, PG13, Ingram, Randle

Hey, it's still not winning any rings, but PG is from LA, seemingly wants to play in LA, it'd be a super fun team to watch, that could do some damage perhaps.

And the upside would be Lonzo and Ingram do continue to develop into future all stars.

19. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

we couldve locked PG up here in houston with harden, its a better city than OKC and harden his less ball dominant

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am of the opinion that IF (IF) LBJ leaves Cleveland (and I put it at 50/50) it will be with the Lakers. For both basketball and outside business reasons. And then at that point there will be some "gravity" in LA to lure PG away from OKC no matter OKC's success.

LBJ+PG+(Ball/Ingram)+Vets can get you to OKC level. And then as LBJ+PG ages, Ball/Ingram could take on more of the load. Their team horizon is extended. I could see LBJ liking that horizon pathway.