1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Westbrook press conference?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Did I miss something? Why are people talking about Luc? Has he been linked to HOU? Dude is done...

macho GRANDE and mike2k132 like this.
  2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

This is a Westbrook quote. Also, this is a day of warmth and positivity. Don't reply to me with cold negativity until tomorrow at the earliest.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It has potential to blow up in the future, but I'm getting a little more confident that it can work well in Year 1. Teams won't know how to gameplan for it as much, and they seem very intent on proving that it'll work, so I think they're going to go out of their way to show they can adapt. That's the hope at least.

I'm glad he's excited to be in Houston. That's cool.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I like to get the two names mixed up and hope to see much more of that through next season.

5. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Cant believe we have a superstar in his prime next to harden finally.....God is good. Lets get this chip.

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

DELETED.

#346 ElPigto, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    amaru likes this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

Have you seen some of the hot takes on this board?

Fulgore and 34to11 like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Probably because @Le$$ wanted to sign him to a 2-year, $10M deal :D @YOLO

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Again these are good points, I’m not denying them. But what I will say is

I would definetly take a risk on a guy who was one of the top 5 maybe even top 3( I’m not exaggerating) defenders in the league and a guy who had highest net ratings in the league on a 65 win team.

He doesn’t have to be that if he can even 60% of that it’s a win for us on a vet min. What’s gonna happen if it fails you cut him, is the owner gonna suddenly become more stingy because of a minimum signing?im really asking I don’t know enough about this lol.

It’s whatever man, Morey clearly agrees with you, I’m just telling you what I would do haha.
    All good points.

Well for one I Believe the knee is healed because of Clutch’s tweet, if it’s like that then most likely he’s looking for a better offer. I’ll take him on the vet min and no more than that. But I definitely think there is a team out there that will him that vet min contract so why not us? These are minimum signings so I’m just.... like I’m probably misunderstanding, let’s say this fails right. Do you think this will make the owner less willing to spend? I’m asking, I feel like maybe I didn’t consider this

joshuaao, topfive and steddinotayto like this.
  10. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol I'm curious how would it blow up...I'm just trying to understand people takes.....first inshould ask do u concerned cp3 n harden blown up....cause that may be were jm getting confused at cause I know players gotta move on so I dont think that blown up. Like we was pretty successful with cp3. I considered that worth it. N if we get to the finals idc of he leaves lol. Cause players wanna do other things. I dont expect russ to retire a rocket lol. He will do 2 years here unless he wins a chip. That's normal to me

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

If it's guaranteed, it would put us over the luxury tax line, regardless of whether we keep him or cut him. A non-guaranteed contract could be terminated at any point, and only the prorated amount we've already paid the player would count at the end of the year. At least that's how I think it works.

It's all moot because I think Luc wants more than we're willing to give him.

HP3 likes this.
  13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You're clapback would be cool if James said that but he didn't. So your talk is cheap and mistaken apparently. So.. talk is cheap. Show it in the forum, txtony.

34to11, amaru, Blatz and 4 others like this.
  16. SORF

SORF Member

I never despised Westbrook personally, I despised how well he played against us. Now that he is a Rocket, I LOVE how he plays basketball. :D Go Rockets and Westbrook. Welcome to the team.

17. Why not?

Why not? Member

Dude sounded legit af... especially for being "cantankerous"

SF3isBack!! and macho GRANDE like this.
  18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

we didn't attach a FRP to dump anderson we sent out Melton who was a second round pick. In fact most people around here lauded the move to get out of Anderson contract without having to attach a future FRP to it and getting back 2 smaller contacts that could moved easier. I believe the move was done not to get out of the tax but to not as as much by having two smaller sized contracts that could be moved easier.

So did you want to keep Brandon Knight (and Marquise Chriss) and have the privilege of paying a huge tax for doing so? It was unfortunate a future pick had to be attached to this trade but for those wanting to get better players paying the tax for a guy like Knight is going to do more harm in the immediate future (next 2 seasons) than help. So which would you have preferred? Keep Knight and the pick but then be in the tax and have it be harder to sign other guys back like House and Rivers or give up the pick and be able to keep the productive talent from last season in House and Rivers without worry?

Melo and MCW were not producing on the floor - why would any sane owner pay so much to keep them. No one should look at these moves as a reason why Tilman was cheap. They were both low risk low reward guys. How many teams are clamoring to get Melo? MCW found a spot in Orlando of all places.

Ennis - he had some talent and played decently for the Sixers post deadline, but he wasn't working in his role in Houston. Blame D'antoni and his staff for that one not Tilman. Again Ennis isn't a guy that is going to be a difference in making the finals or not.

The House grip is a legitimate reason to be upset. Hindsight though its probably better that Tilman did sit him at home because he didnt really play much in the playoffs anyway vs Golden State and probably would have cost the Rockets a lot more to retain this offseason if he still had kept up his regular season numbers. Granted I think we would have been the 2nd seed easily if we kept House.

edit - BTW I am part of the camp that feels that Tilman tried to make the team better but wanted to shed unnecessary tax last season but when they were close to being under they felt it was the better move long term. Now Tilman has said he would pay the tax going forward to build around James. I will wait to see that first before passing judgement. I also understand that it would mean getting a legit rotation player not just signing a guy like Steve Novak just to say you made a move and get into the tax.

#358 The_Yoyo, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

Ohhhhhhh, alright. Ok, see I didnt know that. Knowing it puts us over the luxury tax line, effectively kills this for me and now I am sad.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sorry I ruined your day. :confused:

HP3 likes this.