1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook leading the league in not contesting jumpshots

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hakeem94, Mar 25, 2017.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I thought it deserves its own thread. Among players playing 30 minutes the only two guys in front of him are Whiteside and one other dude whose name I cant remember. Even deandre jordan has contested more 3pters than Russel Westbrook!!

TheFreak, roslolian and durvasa like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Pen15clubber, BigMaloe and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Word needs to spread and criticism should ensue.

Harden's MVP chances on the rise.

Pen15clubber and Lawlruschang like this.
  4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

It was shown in that game versus Warriors. Didn't chase Curry over picks and allowed a open three to camp the paint for a rebound lmao.

5. Wylo

Wylo Member

I genuinely believe Harden is a better player than Westbrook is. Even during last season when everybody was so down on Harden, I maintained that Harden is better than Westbrook. Better scorer and better passer. Period. Also, Westbrook's defense has been embarrassing as of late, so D is really not a factor in this comparison. Westbrook's only edge is in rebounding, which we all know is highly inflated.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Interesting find by Colin Cowherd.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is something that fits the eye test when you watch the Thunder play. Westbrook regularly abandons his man to attack the boards.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Definitely matches the eye test, but ultimately not very relevant. All that is relevant for Westbrook in the media is that he's averaging a triple double. That is the beginning and end of all Westbrook MVP discussion in the media. Even the media themselves is starting to admit as much.

9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

what's up with that lady in the video with him...it was cringe worthy of her to keep bringing up the same excuse

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's why I don't care much about guards getting tons of defensive rebounds. Whether it is by team design or by the player himself, it usually means giving up something on perimeter defense. Offensive rebounding is another story.

roslolian, Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I LOVED the lady in the video because her counterpoints were horrible! It made it all that much better when the only arguments you can come up with is "everyone does it" (untrue), "he's not winning a championship anyway, so why not?" (not a strong case for an MVP), and "he's just grabbing a couple extra boards" (which he shut down with stats showing it's his whole "mindset" this season)

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't like Colin Cowpatch at all, but this is interesting. WB's defense has been overrated for years. It's been a very long time since he played consistent defense. His athleticism and occasional hawking of the ball fool people into generalizing.

Watching him for years at OKC, it would frustrate me to no end when WB cheated/gambled/was lazy on defense and gave up uncontested jumpers (not necessarily 3s). That is part of his nature. Backing off 3-point shooters to pad his stats this year makes total sense. There is no way he would be averaging 10 rebs/game without doing that.

#12 A_3PO, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Pen15clubber and roslolian like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

give her some break its hard to be smart and beautiful

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Definitely. With 0.5 APG or RPG less he wouldn't stand a chance, which tells you enough about how they seem to award the MVP...thank god the players will fix this even if that will make less noise.

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't wait to hear Westbrook's response to this. :)

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wish people just stopped using triple double as a legit statistical achievement. It is such a meaningless stat. The only reason why the 10th whatever has any significance is because we live in a world that uses a base-10 number system. 10 rebounds is a huge jump from 9, yet 19 rebounds is on the same level as 10? Getting 10 points is as much an accomplishment as getting 10 assists? Give me a break!

If you want to acknowledge a player's excellent all-around game, at least do some kind of weighted combined numbers according how much each category exceeds league-wide average. Getting 10 assists is harder than getting 10 rebounds. And both are way harder than getting 10 points. What about other stats such as steals and blocks. Those are even harder to achieve. And I am not even talking about positions.

This fascination of triple double is getting nauseating.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I like it.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I said it before, if you are a PG in NBA 2k17 and trying to get a triple double you do the exact same thing Westbrook finds himself doing.

You get 10 assists...then you jack up a few shots...all while you roam around the paint scavenging for rebounds.

All Westbrook has done has cheapen the triple double stat.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's really impressive when he's in full swing some nights but you can tell he's trying to do to much some games. I remember catching a game on NBATV where he was doing the laziest passes for assist I've ever seen.

He was running and jumping back first into his teammates defenders, and throwing the ball back to his teammate for a jump shot. Not sure if I painted that picture clear enough but it was cringe worthy to watch. It is indeed some 2k my player ****.

hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the marsha brady lookin chick's arguments made my head hurt