1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook is the Most Overrated Player in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kingkingston, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Spot On

Rocket River

Blurr#7 likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no question. When they give a player the MVP and it's a player I wouldn't want on my team even if he came for free....yeah, they are pretty clearly about as overrated as a player can be.

Jayzers_100 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nah. He's inefficient but most of his numbers paint him as a pretty good player.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This year is TS% is low, but the last few years he has been league average.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's really damning with faint praise.

His eFG% would be good for 15th best on the Rockets this season (just ahead of Joe Johnson), his TS% would be good for 14th best on the Rockets, just ahead of Tim Quarterman.

Those numbers are pretty much in line with his career numbers.

6. omgTHEpotential

More importantly, will he be able to chase down that triple double season again? Currently at 9.9 rpg. I feel for Steven Adams. He'd probably average 15 rebounds a game if Russ wasn't on his team.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He is the clear definition of flash over substance. It's crazy when you compare his numbers against the other top 20 in the league with the highest player efficiency ratings.

He has by far the worst TS% for any player let alone him being a guard. And also the worst TO ratio by a guard, while having two able bodied ballhandlers on his current team.

upload_2018-4-10_10-11-51.png

I can't see how or why anyone would choose to play with this "Point Guard" going forward.

#8 FLASH21, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We will learn something this summer.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

PG is gone.

here is the funny thing . . . of OKC's former Big Three
    IMO
    Harden is the only one what makes those around him better

Rocket River

dragonwill, RyanB, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  10. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't stand him and can't understand how people would like a selfish jerk who hurts his team and runs off players who go to be all stars and better when they leave him.

RyanB, ReignSupreme, Cash Cam and 3 others like this.
  11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What I don't get is how someone who is constantly a giant ******* to the media gains so much support from said media. You'd think that eventually, given that he hasn't done ALL that much winning (compared to say, Pop and Belichick), the media would get tired of his schtick and start turning on him a little bit. Instead, he gets to parade around like an angry man-child, scowling and scoffing at every question thrown his way, and gets to deflect ALL blame for his team's shortcomings. It's bizarre, and frustrating that a guy like Harden (who has always been respectful, and congenial) has to always swim upstream in order to get support from both media AND fans.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I know where you are coming from, but hear me out.

When WB was injured and KD won MVP, OKC didn't miss WB. It was enlightening and beautiful to watch.

This year, we can clearly see GS can't win it all without Steph and this is used to knock KD. However, if they had Steph without KD, same thing.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When it comes to making others better. . . I think KD is just somewhere between Harden and Russ
    HArden makes people better
    KD allows people to sustain/maintain
    Russ sucks the life out of them

Rocket River

14. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

For some reason, I'm of the belief that the #1 qualifier for MVP is whether the player made his teammates better. This quality of leadership should be measured by team success first i.e. wins/standings, and secondly by individual stats. I think the last time I heard it being discussed by the media was when Nash won his. This is the first time seeing it being mentioned in the last 2 years - the radio host doesn't go into that topic much but I'd like to hear this argument more in-depth when it comes to MVP talk.

Last year, the coverage of this topic was frustratingly empty because they went straight to stats first, team success second, and never brushed the overall topic of leadership and who made their teammates better. They speak of stats in reference to historical accomplishments but never frame it as a measure of something greater, such as the quality of leadership or making their teammates better.

Richie_Rich and DeeMien like this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He's an All-Time great talent, but the b-ball IQ and clutch-ability is beyond laughable...... Maybe all-time WORST for a talent so great.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Only 47 wins but by win differential and srs they are a much better team than last year.

Westbrook should be the primary ballhandler and secondary scorer. Ideally, someone efficient should close games, because he'll just brick. Someone like... Durant.

Funny that durant went to a team with motion offense but he sucks at that.

WB should play like Simmons. Just don't take outside shots.

RyanB likes this.
  17. omgTHEpotential

If WB had a better shot selection (which is a part of basketball IQ) and only took wide open shots, he might be a 36-40% 3PT shooter. That would make him so much more dangerous. He'd accentuate his strengths more, but would still keep the opposing defenders honest. Sadly, I don't think that's gonna happen.

RyanB and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's probably fair. A classic case of a million dollar body and a ten cent brain.

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Didn't he have one of the greatest clutch seasons ever last year? It was the basis by which some said he was the rightful MVP (even those who acknowledged it was pure luck). Also, in terms of overrated, Kyrie says hello, look at how bad the boston offense is and how bad the cavs always were with him.