1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Were You Paddled In School?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gifford1967, Dec 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I was in Jr. High at Pershing and in Highschool at Lamar we could be paddled by teachers, coaches, or principals. And I'm talking about hard paddling with a big wooden paddle. I graduated from Lamar in '86. I can't imagine that this is still going on and I'm curious about when this practice was stopped in HISD. Did other people here go to schools where paddling was allowed?

#1 gifford1967, Dec 15, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Johnston Junior High 1973-1976.
    Bellaire Senior High 1976-1979.

And I got red-assed at least once each year, usually for getting caught smoking during gym class. Once for setting off bottle rockets in the hallway (freshman year at Bellaire).

I can still hear Mr. Gregory's voice..."what the HELL is the matter with you, boy???"

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I was routinely paddled in middle school. Mr. A at Parkview intermediate and Coach Allen seemed to enjoy this ritual. Longhornfan spent many afternoons trying to sit on one cheek after meeting the hand carved paddles they owned.

Good times.

4. gifford1967

Supporting Member

What years?

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure. Graduated 1 year early - 83. It was reasonably effective. Bring it back.

Go ahead and put all the no waiver kids in exile. You don't want them.

Can you attach a poll?

6. gifford1967

Supporting Member

Yeah it was usually about once or twice a year for me. Usually for skipping, though once I was paddled by the football coach for getting an F on my report card. There was a line going out the weight room door. One whack for each F.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was threatened by a teacher to be paddled with a big ass paddle with holes in it once for saying the word "crap" in class in middle school. My response was "if you hit me, then I'm going to hit back". I was sent to the principal's office where he had me report to his office each day for a week during that teacher's class where he had me do stupid tasks that I didn't really do. I got to get out of her math class and basically do nothing while supposedly being punished.

I would never allow a teacher to hit me in any fashion whatsoever unless they expected to get hit back. I just don't see that form of punishment as one that should be rendered by anyone other than one's parents. Strangers paddling people unrelated to them is equivalent to assault in my book.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Coach Shugart, Coach Freeman, Mr. Sanchez, Ms. Webb, Coach Stafford, and Coach Moseley all paddled me at John Marshall Middle School.

I think Mr. Harris did, too.

In High School, only Coach Stafford paddled when we missed a layup or when we looked down while dribbling, both during Basketball Practice.

9. gifford1967

Supporting Member

I don't think I can attach a poll now that the thread has been started.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I got paddled once by Richard Quick at Spring Branch Junior High School in 1967-- some harmless junior high restless (I forget the details).

Oh, and we called them SWATS.

For the uninitiated, Richard Quick has recentlly been the USA Women's Olympic Swimming Coach. He was my youth coach at Dad's Club YMCA from 1967 to about 1970.

Could I sell the blister on EBAY?

11. Buck Turgidson

I think of all the education that I've missed

But then my homework was never quite like this...

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

August of 85- May of 88, I believe. I've thrown down many beers since then, so the memory just kind of....

What are we talking about again?

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I was paddled at Sugarland Jr. High (81-83) but I don't recall every getting paddled at Katy High (84-87)

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's just insane right there....being paddled for a "F" on the report card. Is that an alternative to sitting out the football games where you can then play if you get paddled?

I think your coach just had a thing for young boys and their butts.

Parents should care about a "F" but the coach should just sit you out or whatever. How that translates into a paddling? What is he like going:

"You hurt the team, mister. Now, I'm going to lay some hurt on you."

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I got my fair share in elementary and middle school '65-'73.

If my two year son ever gets pops at school, I will probably go to jail after what I would do with the paddle and the teacher who gave the pops.

16. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

often.
    i graduated from Kingwood High in 89. i wasn't "paddled" in high school, though. however, i was a pretty devious kid at Creekwood Middle School and received "swats" pretty frequently (82-86.) they were administered by either the assistant principal or a coach. that freakin' wooden paddle with holes drilled in it hurt like crap! i remember getting to choose between "swats" or some form of "detention." i always chose swats because i had better sch!tt to get into after school and on saturdays.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Paddled in elementary and Junior High, from 72-78.

Travis elementary and Baytown Junior high.

In fact, my math teacher used to offer voluntary paddling for those of us who needed an attitude adjustment.

He taught excellerated math for 6-7th grades, and when I got to 8th, I used to go to his class once or month or so to get my voluntary swat.

DD

#17 DaDakota, Dec 15, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  18. gifford1967

Supporting Member

If I remember correctly If your parent did not want to allow you to be paddled they signed a form that said they understood you would be suspended for any infraction for which you would have been paddled.

19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Middle School - Wunderlich Middle School

I got swats a few times....never did like it, but it was effective.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I went to Pershing in the early 80's and got paddled...The good ole' wooden paddle...I'm sure they're scarce now adays...

Anyway, a good whippin' never hurt nobody...