1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're not that talented.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sane, Feb 22, 2004.

1. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Wow. The streak continues. I still don't agree with Sane on anything. You would think in his 5000 messages I could find something.

Compared to most in the east the Rockets are the globetrotters, compared to the west - we are 6th seed, which implies we must have some great talent.

2. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

We DO have individual talent, but just not in the right system. You'll be amazed by how good players look in a good system, just look at the old Bulls, the Jazz, the Kings, and the Spurs. When the Rockets eventually get all of their players comfortable within the current JVG system, then every player will look like an all-star!
    :D

--daoshi

3. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Well forgive me for bringing it up again. The removal of Posey who some are calling, Most Improved Player, was a gigantic error.
    I cannot hear one voice anywhere saying that Posey is overpaid at this point. I still cannot understand how perfectly sober men like CD and JVG could have made such an error. Now we have a glaring understanding of the caliber of errors they are capable of making, it makes you wonder if their decision to not make any moves last week was another big error. All this would lead me to believe that they probably did not even pick up the phone to call Baker's agent.

It is good to finally see JJ dunk the ball last night. We have way too many undersized and slow players to be considered talented.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Maybe the Rockets should leave Steve open in the expansion draft...

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

9 games over 500; It can't be because of the talent.

6. ckfol

ckfol Member

insane, what do you called talent? Yao and Stevie are both two time ASG starters. Only the lakers can claim that. I do think our role players suck and our bench is extremely thin though.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

We have among the most talented backcourts in the league (thouh there clearly are more effective ones) and the 2nd most talented C in the league. We also have the undeniably the least talented group of forwards in the WC and among the least talented group in the whole league.

Thus we are talented, just not a very complete team. Having E Griffin flop and losing our next best youngish players for nothing (KT and JP) hurt though, it just means we have another extra piece or two somewhere we will have to find to be a contender.

Personally I think we should take some of the backcourt talent and parley that into frontcourt talent without losing too much in backcourt effectiveness (bring in a stud 4 preferrably plus a less dynamic but solid 1).

8. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

I like that idea:

I prefer a stud 4 and 5
    or 5 and 3

over a stud 1 and 5.....

This seems to be a better championship approach over the last 10-15 year, sans Detroit.

I think we are just a couple years of tuning away....add a FA here and improve Yao's sealability factor and improve Steves offense execution and assist-turnover ratio and this team could be quite scarey..

9. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Man Eg really messed things up for us.. poor guy, if he only realized what big plans we had for him and his future.

I think if EG was still on this team he would be a potent scorer this season freeing Yao up inside to do his damage.

EG was kind of a mix of Mot and Cato we've been looking for.

Plays good defense and has some decent range.. we really took a step back when EG left.

I hope we can find some better pieces.

J

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Portland TrailBlazer Budget:

Bail: 14 million
    Drug Rehab: 36 milllion

11. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

I'm sorry, outside the top 5 (obviously), I simply don't see how any other team has more TALENT than us. We have Memphis, who's best player is Gasol, who's not doing better than Yao despite having single coverage. Who's their 2nd star? Bonzi comes close but no ball.

Seattle has Allan, who's legit, then they have Lewis, who's up and coming, but they fade rapidly after that. Remember Flip? Does anybody still talk about him any more (after that great start)? Their record even after Allen came back proves that.

Portland was yesterday's news (and wasn't great news at that) that just got worse after trading Sheed.

Detroit basically has two scoring options, not two great ones at that. They are basically a starless team. Yet somehow they have a better record. Why? I'll come back to that.

Indy, JO and Ronron, who else do they have? Tinsley? Who can't hit a shot to save his life?

Even San Antonio, they have a bunch of mediocre role players surrounding the best player in the league.

Talent wise, aside from the top 5, we can give anybody a shot for their money, the problem is performance. Ask yourself, why is it that Detroit, that starless team can have a better record (EC or not). The reason is teamplay and execution. When the Pistons play, you can see clearly directions. They know exactly what they have to do to compete. For all that talk about their great defence team, we are actually better (on most nights). The problem is their offence is FAR more efficient. Note: NOT BETTER, just more efficient that they can get more with less.

We have no chemistry and we have no directions, so we suffer in terms of teamplay. Hell, we don't even have an identity. Are we Yao's team or Steve's team? Do we play ISO or half court set? Inside out or swing around the perimeter? This is one of the few teams where the total is less than the sum of its parts, a sad fact considering this team is so much more talented than other teams in the same position (eg. the former "teams" known as the Hawks and Clippers).

12. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

I think we are taletented, the problem is attitude & consistency. You take a look at all the games this season where we come out and the whole team is on fire and energised. There have been so many where we just come out, and it doesnt matter who we are playing we flat out kick their @ss.

The players and coach b!tch and moan about what isn't working and why we failed and fell down. There are too many individual mind games going on in the court and its distracting us from actually playing and playing well as a team.

I have always like JVG and I am not doubting his coaching ability, but I am wondering what kind of affect he his having on the team's morale. I mean look at him, he is always sad and misserable and never happy with what the guys do. I'm not sure that his approach is working. We know he want Steve to change his style of play and become more of a traditional PG. Ofcourse that is affecting his game, but maybe the constant critisism is holding him back too?

I dont know, I am ramplbing a bit now, but I DO think we have a talented team and with the right attitude we can go far.

13. Strathead

Strathead Member

I think it's not totally impossible since the Rox has to take on AD and JYD's contract as well. AD is not really doing anything for the Bulls now. SF and Taylor would actually make immediate impact on that Bulls team.

The backcourt of allstar SF and Crawford could lead the Bulls to the 8th spot in the East right away.
    I believe the Bulls are anxious to get back to the playoff with the weak competition in the East.

It makes sense for both team.

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I'll say it again, we have the talent. The 94 Rox don't even come close to measuring up to the top 5 WC teams of today. But they would still have won.

A championship team is a unique blend of many different things...talent being only one piece.

Chemistry, veteran leadership, team IQ, talent and pure luck are all part of it. I'm sure I missed something else.

Don't count out luck. One bad call by a ref or one injury or one <enter what you please> ... can ruin an entire season.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

what he said.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So 1-6 the Rockets are as talented as the kings?
    Vlade - MING
    WEBBER - Cato
    PEJA - Jackson
    Christine - Mobley
    Bibby - FRANCIS

JACKSON - Mo T

hhhmmmmm

I don't think we are as talented
    and the talent gap at the 4 and 3
    are FAR GREATER than
    ours at the 1 and 5

Rocket River

17. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

The difference between the Kings and Rockets is the Kings have peaked and fell short..The Rockets still are putting together a scheme ..that who knows? It may work, may not..The talent is here. Is it championship quality? If you know, go to Vegas and bet on it.