1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WEHT: Nikoloz Tskitishvili (UPDATE: Signs with Wolves)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by University Blue, Jul 16, 2005.

1. University Blue

WEHT: Nikoloz Tskitishvili

I hope someone gives him a chance to play, outside the expectations/desperation of an underachieving team.

I won't mince words, I hope Houston gives him a chance to play w/o the burden/spotlight of bringing the Nuggets out of mediocrity.

University (Plan G) Blue

2. foodworld

foodworld Member

He's one of the top five worst players in the NBA. Seriously. The Rockets would be better off signing Drew Carey as a backup forward than bringing him in.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Come on why not give him a chance...we Drafted Boki, and this guy was his backup on the team lol

4. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

He did have a heck of a first summer league game though! :)

5. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

It sure didn't take long for international basketball to get washed up. I'm not saying certain countries don't play together with great chemistry, but there are very few impact foreign players in the league.

If i had the talent and was 17, i'd play international ball rather than college because they're easily more overrated now w/o noticable flaws.

I'm not really sure what this had t do with your post anymore. :confused:

6. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

He's always dominated the summer leagues, so did Zach Randolph, but so did Bobby Hansen.

He's not one of the five-worst players in the NBA, but he's a lot closer to that than Zach Randolph.

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mr. July strikes again and someone wants to sign him.

Have fun.

8. Pablo Escobar

Pablo Escobar Contributing Member

I live in Denver and can personally attest (as a season ticket holder) that Skita isn't good. In fact, he's flat out terrible.

We don't need a slender, 7 footer standing on the perimeter shooting airballs. I don't care what he does in the summer league, he shoot airballs or wounded ducks during the regular season.

He's also in desperate need of some muscle. What a waste of a draft pick for Denver.

9. foodworld

foodworld Member

Lonny Baxter was the MVP of the summer league Skita played in his rookie year.
    Why not sign him? He's just as good as Danny Fortson, he just has shorter arms.

10. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Skita does not excel in summer league! He had one good summer league performance in vegas last year. Ugh. He is still a project.

Here are his summer league stats for previous years. He couldn't even average 14 pts. He shot at at less than .420 FG%.
    Tskitishvili
    ......................................MIN REB AST STL TO..BLK .PTS FG% 3PT% FT%
    2002 Rocky Mountain Revue 23.3 2.7 1.3 0.33 2.0 0.50 07.3 .394 .467 .917
    2003 Rocky Mountain Revue 30.8 6.3 2.3 0.67 2.7 1.00 11.3 .391 .320 .750
    2004 Rocky Mountain Revue 28.6 5.6 0.4 1.00 2.8 1.00 13.4 .418 .167 .600
    2004 Vegas Summer League* 35.0 6.0rebs 25.7pts .571 3pt%

*The 2004 Vegas Summer league was July 13-18 happened before the 2004 Rocky Mountian Revue July 16-24. The Denver Nuggets did not play in the last 2 days of the Vegas Summer League, July 17-18. Tskitishvili’s stats are for only 3 games. He may have averaged 25.7 pts but he had a .571 3pt%. He must have had a good 3 game streak. Complete stats not found.

He made MVP of the Vegas Summer League in 2004, but played in only 3 games compared to 5 games for other players. His FG% are too low for a PF/SF. His 3pt% is all over the board for the past 3 summers. He has improved his scoring and steals every summer . His rebounding numbers were bad every year. . He has never averaged a double double in summer league games.

His stats for the 2nd game in Minnesota are:
    MIN FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA OR DR TOT A PF ST TO BS PTS

P.S As soon as I posted, I found out he was injured.

#10 Mordo, Jul 17, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Now THAT's what we need -- a player who sucks in the regular season *and* in the summer league! ;)

12. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

you think the Nuggets would just throw away their 4th or 5th pick? hell we threw Boki away before they threw Tskivittatjalkgalg away..he has to suck

13. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i think there was another thread on him before and i'll repeat my comments.

we don't need a 7 footer who can't score (from ANYWHERE on the floor), can't rebound, can't defend, and overall can't play! he's may be the WORST draft pick EVER (#5 overall). remember denver thought so much of this guy that he was a thrown in, in an eduardo najara trade after being the #5 pick two years earlier. i think that alone speaks volumes on his ability to play.

14. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Holy crap - is Drew Carey available?

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's great seeing the thread title and knowing without a shred of a doubt that "we should give him a shot" would be in the first post somewhere.

Evan

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Without trying to be combative or insulting,

This time last year I remember a number of qualified defenses of Boki's backup. I don't disagree that he's probably destined to be NBA crap, but he's still only 21 with the same of desirable traits that allowed Nuggets fans like yourself to hold out hope this time last year.

I wonder if your reaction stems as much from your disapointment in what the Nuggets got for what they invested, as much as his current unworthiness to play in the NBA.

Tskitishvili could be the poster child for the new CBA rules around sending players to the NDBL durring the 1st 2 years of their contract. He certanly didn't get any real playing time in Europe, and precious little time in Denver.

If he eventually goes somewhere where he gets lots of PT and develops into a decent player, stranger things have happened.

Dale Ellis averaged about 8 ppg during his 3 years in Dallas, but someone figured he was a jump shooter not a post player, and spend many years thereafter as a 20+ ppg scorer.

Chauncy Billups was bounced from Boston and Toronto before being essentially thrown away by your Nuggets before becoming the quality point guard for the T-Wolves and Pistons.

Our own experience with Eddie Griffin and the beginnings of success in Minnesota are a case that rings home here.

In otherwords, Tskitishvili has a number of traits (young, posessed with many
    physically benificial basketball traits, and inexperienced) that suggest at least an outside chance that he could become servicable. Don't let the negative experiences between him and the Nuggets make you bitter.

17. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I'm not bitter. He sucked for us. Oh well. He allowed us to get Melo inadvertantly. I'll take that scenario happily. That said, he was never motivated, he never played hard, and he always looked lost. As for Nuggets fans "holding out hope" last year, most of us were just hoping he would be a servicable back-up. I posted that very comment on this board last summer.

There's a difference between bitterness (my hatred for Kevin Garnett) and the truth. Skita is an AWFUL basketball player. I saw every minute of his Nuggets career, and unlike Darko (who will occasionally show a flash or two) he just looked constantly lost.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=knight-_WWW_12192546&prov=knight&type=lgns

Nikoloz Tskitishvili agrees to deal

BY RICK ALONZO, Pioneer Press
    July 22, 2005

The Timberwolves on Thursday agreed to a contract with free-agent forward Nikoloz Tskitishvili and have made offers to free-agent forwards Eddie Griffin and Mark Madsen.

Tskitishvili had 25 points and 10 rebounds last Friday in his summer league debut with the Wolves. :eek: He broke a bone in his right hand in his second game and will be out about four weeks. Terms of the contract were not disclosed. :confused:

"However they want to use me, they can use me," Tskitishvili said of his role with the Wolves during a phone interview. "I can do everything. I can be a rebounder. I can be a low post player if I work on my post moves more this summer. I can be a shooter. I'm ready for everything."

The Denver Nuggets picked Tskitishvili fifth overall in the 2002 NBA draft. He averaged three points and 11.9 minutes in his first three seasons. In February, Denver traded him to Golden State in a package that involved Eduardo Najera.

Tskitishvili, 7 feet, 225 pounds, is most well known for his shooting ability. He is only 22 years old, and the Wolves believe he has talent and potential. Rex Kalamian, who helped coach the Wolves' summer league team, spoke highly of Tskitishvili last week but said being consistent has been his biggest challenge.

"I really like all the coaches," Tskitishvili said. "It seemed like they really cared about me. I loved the way the fans were excited about me when I was playing there."

The moratorium for signing free agents has been pushed back indefinitely. NBA teams can reach handshake agreements with free agents but can't sign them until the moratorium expires, possibly Aug. 1.

As for Madsen, the Wolves are working toward a contract agreement as they attempt to hold off the Washington Wizards and the Utah Jazz, who have shown serious interest in the center-forward. San Antonio and Seattle also showed interest.

Madsen reaffirmed that he loves Minnesota.

"I think it's fair to say, right now, we've had some great conversations with Minnesota, and we're in serious talks with Minnesota," Madsen said Thursday evening.

The Wolves had not formally reached an agreement with Madsen, who declined to discuss contract terms.

The opportunity to play for Utah would appeal to Madsen, because he has family there. But Madsen said he enjoys playing for Minnesota with Kevin Garnett.

Wolves owner Glen Taylor confirmed the contract offers to Madsen and Griffin but declined to discuss details, citing NBA rules against such disclosures.

The Wolves would be able to use the "Early Bird" salary cap exception to re-sign Madsen, who made $1.65 million last season. That means the Wolves would not have to dip into their mid-level exception or lower exception to re-sign him.

Zierden can talk to Detroit: Taylor said he would grant Don Zierden permission to seek employment in Detroit under former Wolves coach Flip Saunders, who was introduced as the Pistons coach Thursday.

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Did Kenny Smith predict that there would be an influx of sh*tty foreign players?

20. lytruc

lytruc Contributing Member

He's sign a deal with Minnesota.