1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Weeeaaaaaakkkk.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Puedlfor, Feb 10, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Ugh. The Slam Dunk contest is weak, weak, weak. Nothing spectacular, no jaw-droppers - Bender's was ok and Maggetee was respectable but everything else was unspecial.

Ok, that Baron Davis dunk just now rocked.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited February 10, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited February 10, 2001).]

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I wish Kenny Smith would shut up. God he talks more bulls@#$ than Charles.

------------------

3. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I hear you, Puedlfor. So far all of the dunks are at best mediocre. Nothing really impressive. Oh...and the scoring's kinda lame, too. A snore-fest. Kenny Smith is annoying, too.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cold Hard (edited February 10, 2001).]

4. Puedlfor

This could have been one of the better dunk contests ever - T-Mac, Kobe, Vince and the Franchise instead of this. There were better dunks in the Soph/Rookie game.

------------------

5. Puedlfor

Its over, and it sucked. The winner missed more than VC, T-mac and Stevie combined did last year.

------------------

6. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

And you can give baron Davis the award for the biggest acting job ever in a dunk contest. I started to laugh my ass off when I saw him picking at that hole in his headband on his "blind mans bluff" so he could see better. You could hear him say to his friend he was faking like he couldnt see on that first attempt to show he couldnt see. Obviously he didnt know he didnt have a makeover. You could even hear his friend say they could see the hole. Im still laughin at that one. That definitely was weak as hell.There were a few dunk attempts, that if had been made, would have been pretty sweet. Desmond Mason was impressive, as was BD on 2 dunks, but neither of them would of won any other year.

------------------

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think Des Mason made a good point though.

There aren't many dunks that haven't been attempted.

Even the free throw line dunk is old now.

Now that Doc J, Michael, Larry Nance, Brent Barry, and most recently Johnathan Bender have attempted it.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

8. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I agree vj23k, it's getting harder and harder to come up with innovative dunks these days. Even the free throw dunk elicited a "been there, done that" reaction from me.

The XFL game that's on now is way more entertaining than the dunk contest.

------------------

9. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I think comin from a 6'11 guy too, it seemed that less impressive as well. At first, I thought it was better than it was because he jumped off his left foot, but then I realized that was his jumping foot. Wierd, since he's a right hander.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited February 10, 2001).]

10. alaskansnowman

1.) Players too young... get too nervous.

2.) Players are unknowns... not enough hype and excitement. People were more excited about Vince Carter before he even did his first dunk last year than they were after the entire contest.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

anyone else giggle when Mason was standing behind Lewis and bending him over?

------------------

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

righthanders usually jump better off their left foot and vice versa.

------------------

13. Steve_Francis_rules

I agree that the enthusiasm just wasn't there this year.

------------------
    The whole world we travel with our thoughts,
    Finding nowhere anyone as precious as one's own self.
    Since each and every person is so precious to themselves
    Let the self-respecting harm no other being. -from the Samyutta Nikaya

14. wink3

wink3 Member

[​IMG]
    Another r****ded dunk from the red-headed step child that was the 2001 dunk contest.

------------------
    WHAT ARE YOU DO-ING!?

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ya know, I remember when people used to sit other people in chairs, have them bend over, etc. and then jump over them to dunk. That was great back then... but once I heard about people jumping over 6'5" guys during a game and then actually seeing Vince Carter jump over a 7-footer to dunk during a game, all this stuff about jumping over people to dunk means nothing.

Booooring.

I'm waiting for the guy that dunks with his feet... now that would be a new one.

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.