1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Weathering this injury run, O slump, Super 2, tough schedule perfect storm

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Tuk88, May 26, 2019.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

First the wild run of injuries... Altuve, then Diaz, Springer, Stassi, then Diaz again. I wouldn't count Stassi as detrimental to the offense, unless Stubbs does even worse.

Then the related offensive slump where we've scored 3, 3, 5, 4, 0, 4, 4, 1 in the last 8 games.

Then a continuation of how heavily weighted the front end of the schedule is with winning teams, from the Red Sox to the Cubs next, then the A's, until the Mariners on June 3.

Add in the 26 games in 27 days gauntlet of a schedule, finally ending after the Cubs.

Then there's the Super 2 deal, where the Astros aren't about to wager away $20M to bring up Alvarez a couple weeks before his Super 2 status (coincidentally, also around June 3), or Tucker two months prior to his. They're two of the hottest bats in the minors and pretty much the only additions to even think about making up for Altuve and Springer (and even Diaz, batting .362 w/ 3 HRs in his last 15).

If things get ugly between now and June 3, posting this is going to serve as my coping mechanism. Maybe Altuve is immediately back to his old self, Fisher outperforms and the guys find a way to get out of their offensive funk, but if not, it's going to be a long week. I look forward to being completely wrong about having any concerns.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

How are you getting June 3 as a Super 2 estimate?

3. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

We took 4 of 6 from the Red Sox who are back to their old selves and split a 4 game series against the white Sox who aren’t THAT bad. Why are we freaking out?

BigM likes this.
  4. Tuk88

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/5/17/18629475/what-in-gods-name-is-super-2

Not freaking out this past week, just prepping (coping) for potential disappointment, as well as people freaking out this coming week.

[IMO It just means the team is going to have to dig a little deeper this week.]

5. Amshirvani

CheezeyBoy22, lnchan and Tuk88 like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Gotcha, you're going super conservative with the 120 days. We'll see what the Stros do, they're tracking all this stuff in real time a lot better than we can.

7. Tuk88

110% agreed on FO.

2017: 123 days
    2013: 122 days
    2010: 122 days

We’re at 128 days now I believe. It hasn’t been lower than 122 days in 10 years. When will the FO make that $20M bet :)

8. Buck Turgidson

10 year average: 132

All they'd have to do is find an excuse to send him down for 10 days later this year..."uh, we need an extra bullpen arm/infielder/whatever?" I'm sure he'd love that.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Ha! That’d be awful if he was tearing it up- I can’t even imagine us going there outside of performance. Tucker obviously gave them back that year he’d earned last year by ******** the bed. It’s why I hated his call up last September. I get it, but it’s cost us three weeks this time around.

10. Elienator

Elienator Member

The Astros have a 6.5 game lead and their pitching has held up reasonably well. They may have lost the opportunity to have an all time great offensive season, but even if they play .500 ball over the next few weeks they’ll be fine.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Astros could weather a lot better by bringing up their top 2 Prospects who are ready at AAA. Instead, they are worried about an extra year 5-6 years down the line.

12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I will preface this by saying I am not a baseball purest in the sense that I don’t know history and trends and statistics etc. to the degree some do.

That said is a 6.5 game lead a comfortable lead given the shape we are currently in? I know in basketball 6.5 is a decent lead. But one series head to head in baseball and that 6.5 can be chopped pretty good.

13. Amshirvani

This is even after the As have won 9 in a row. That’s gotta be demoralizing for them

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

There's nothing to "weather".

tellitlikeitis likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

6.5 games can certainly be made up - and fairly quickly. But at the end of the day, the Astros are a far superior team - teams go up and down but the best teams almost always come out ahead in the end. People had all the same concerns and freaked out all summer last year when Oakland went nuts and actually caught the Astros from being 10 out or something. The Astros still won the division by 6 games.

16. Tuk88

This sums it up perfectly: https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/...rdinarily-lucky-post-injuries-astros-trending

It's just amazing what Luhnow, Hinch and the players have been able to overachieve, primarily in wins, at a time when everything indicates that we shouldn't be. We're certainly not out of the storm yet, and the trends show we may not weather through the rest of it nearly as well, but just wanted to give some appreciation to date.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros have been lucky to win with as few runs as they have scored. Astros are unlucky to have scored as few of runs.

Provide Mayfield doesn't bat much, offense should be slightly above average.