1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We would not have won the 2 championship if....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizard, Apr 24, 2000.

Tags:
  1. wizard

wizard Member

Jordan had played.

According to Barkely last night. I wish they kept the camera on "the jet " a little longer to get his reaction after that comment.
    Cant believe he said that though. since Jordan did play that 2nd time, people tend to forget.Wouldnt matter anyway Dream was a nightmare.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by wizard (edited April 24, 2000).]

2. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

It might just be me but who did the Magic beat in the playoffs? wasn't it the Bulls? And who was on that team wasn't it Jordan?
    That's what I thought, Barkley keep your mouth shut.

------------------
    ~John~
    Hi, my name is John and I'm a clutchaholic.
    Houston NHL

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Nothing infuriates me more than that comment. Not because of whether or not I believe it's true (I do think we would have beat the Bulls) but because Jordan DID play in our 2nd championship year. He was beaten by the Magic, the same team we swept for the championship. It's pretty clear-cut. In 1995, Jordan did play. In 1995, we won the championship. I don't know how you can dispute that.

------------------

4. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

People tend to forget the times when Jordan wasn't successful. Hell I even forgot he played.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

5. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Um..Mj did just come out of a year and a half retirement, so it's not likely he's going to be even close to his best. Playing 2 months worth of games before the playoffs without a training camp is not sufficient enough time to be at the peak of one's game. He also had just quit baseball so his baseball training regimen was not conducive to basketball. You try to play professional baseball for over a year and then play professional basketball after that layoff. But what's the point of dealing in these hypotheticals. Who cares, we won those 2 championships. Don't be some bitter fan with a chip on your shoulder trying to answer all the critics. Just appreciate and be thankful that the Rocks did win those 2 championships.

I'm sure there are Rocket fans out there who are still b****ing that if we had beat the Jazz in 97, we would have took out the Bulls in the finals. So what's the difference between that and bulls' proponents saying that if MJ was there for the whole 95 season, the Bulls would have won. It doesn't matter!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Da Man (edited April 24, 2000).]

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

scarface, he may not have been successful when he first came back, but he was still rated as a top 3 shooting guard i believe. so, he may not have been the best player in the league, he was close.
    I am also tired of the critics who say things like that.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

7. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

Jordan, Quitten, and the Bulls could never handle Dream and our post up ofense. Hey thats twice Pippen couldn't handle the offense. Anyways there is a reason why we always dominated the season series with the Bulls before Barkley came back. I have doubts if we would have beat them the first time around but I know it would have been close. The second time would have been no contest. We would have whooped them up real good, we would have beat any of the Jordan team including the 70 win team. Why? Because just plain and simple we were a team of destiny that year.

------------------

8. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

I think it's a sad thing...
    That although through his greatness and his ability to come back and dominate the game-
    Jordan couldn't turn his back and step away. When a man retires, isn't that the END? If Jordan hadn't come back afterwards and won a few championships, I'm not sure Houston would be getting as much disrespect as we currently do. Jordan's inability to dominate Baseball or other aspects, caused him to return to the game. (I can't say I blame him,...but I say, if you step away and retire, then stay true to your word and do it?) Wow, Pip couldn't do s#it with that bulls squad.. except whine. And what happened in that playoff game when he refused to go back in?

-Elie17

------------------

[This message has been edited by Elie#17 (edited April 24, 2000).]

9. AirFrAnCiS3

AirFrAnCiS3 Member

Hey, who can beat Jordan? No one. Yea the rockets won when Jordan was out, but remember no one won when Jordan was back. At least we are second best to the bulls in the 90's. In this case, being second means a whole lot. We'll always here people say we won because Jordan was gone. Jus tell them, at least we took advantage of it, cause no one can win when jordan is in.

------------------

10. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Again-

I digress, Houston would have STILL won those years. Hakeem was peaking and the Rockets were Incredible in the post-season.

It was just their year.

-elie17

------------------

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Guys we had a great 2 year run. But Jordan won the title in the his last 6 COMPLETE years.
    Sure most people on here are going to say Houston would have beat the Bulls, but most of the Bulls fans would have said it would have been 8 in a row if MJ would have stuck to basketball.
    Jordan is the greatest player of our time and the Bulls were the best team of the 90's. We had chances the last few years to get back to the finals, but the bottom line is we didn't do it. Blame it on the Barkley trade, blame it on injuries, blame it on age, blame it on the Jazz, bottom line is we never made it far enough to play against the Bulls when MJ played a complete year.
    And let me mention it before it comes up, again. The Rockets had a regualr season record over .500 against the Bulls.

------------------

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bulls would not have won
    If Bill Russel had played. ..
    What about Jabbar?
    What about Chamberlain?

How about this. . .they would not have
    won if Ralph Sampson's Knees had not gone
    south . . .
    OR is The Rockets had drafted jordan

If the Rockets had beaten the sonics at
    some point?

Loosely translating
    F*ck that bull****.

Rocket River

------------------

13. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

It wasn't Jordan that kept us from winning championships in the 1990s. They were in the Eastern Conference. The Bulls NEVER beat the Rockets in the playoffs.

It was the dang Sonics, and later, injuries that kept us from taking home more rings than we did.

I wish we could faced the Bulls in the Finals from 1992 to 1998. We may not have won every series, but I bet we would've won more than we lost.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

14. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

How is it that there is an excuse for every Jordan flaw.

No way Jordan scores 55 (one of his highest outputs ever) in a season that he didn't have his game back. Much less 55 against the tough Knicks D.

Jordan did get beat. By the Magic. Who in turn were swept by the Rockets.

Enough with the apologies for Jordans failure that year. If he would of led the Bulls to a title that year, no one would of mentioned it as one of his comeback years.

Damn watching the Astros is getting real tough.