1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We were holding back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I realize Tucker has his limitations, but he's had this problem for a while with hot-potato-ing the ball because he seems nervous to do anything on offense except take a corner 3. It often puts his teammates in a tough position when he passes instead of trying something himself.

D-rock and dc rock like this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Some may call it a spot, but I digress

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It was weird in winning time for Harden to defer to EG so many times. He even pointed at Clint to give the ball to CP3 on a play. I agree with others who say Rockets weren't holding back, but winning time was so weird.

vlaurelio and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

They learned a lesson. They will beat OCK in 6 if they meet in round 1.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

QFT. They wanted it bad!

6. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Anybody explain to me your best guess for why Harden didn't want the ball after checking in in the 4th? No defensive adjustments. Just let Eric handle it. The game looked to be BOTH wanting the win and sorta wanting it. The 4th quarter came, and it felt like they were just fiddling with a basketball as opposed to actually attacking the basket - until the very end when Harden went to the line. I'm more or less inclined to think that they just wanted the game to be close and barely eek it out. For what reason, I don't know.

Also, Tucker's closeout on PG's 3 was pathetically necessary. He should have been on his hip the entire way. He banked on Russ going to the hoop for the tie ala Texans. Instead, PG and Russ were on the same page: "let's win this".

Coach Bz basically settled on not fouling them. Atrocious management. Was Coach Bz just being lazy? He could've taken advantage of that and given himself an opportunity for his defensive prowess to shine out of a timeout.

Also, I always get nervous when Harden gets to 11 or 12 FTAs. He's bound for a miss. In that play, I was hoping for CP to demand the inbounds.

All of these things can help bolster OP's case. They can also bolster the case that we're just poor at execution in high stakes games - coach down to the player.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

All you can say if we see OKC in round 1, is that four of those games will be in Toyota Center.

If you are up against OKC and you hear the announcers go, "the refs are really letting them play tonight!", that's codespeak for "the NBA wants OKC to win tonight." Same as when Jerry Sloan used to employ the foul-every-time tactics knowing that the refs would get whistle fatigue. OKC's brand of basketball requires physical play to be allowed.

D-rock, hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. alethios

alethios Member

I don't think they were holding back, but I also don't think Gordon was having any fun.

D-rock, tmoney1101, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  9. today

today Contributing Member

Lol, not seeing Dumpert on the court was the best part about last night.

hakeem94 and pippendagimp like this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I haven't minded him so much. Granted , the last couple games were blowouts ... AND I think rivers is better . But , I think that having him as depth and as an option to use when other guys aren't hot is great .

11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

No. Rockets coaching staff is just too dumb to understand the value of Faried.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

And if Shumpert is high energy, then so am I.

snowconeman22 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

my god we were balling with him at the 4 i just hope the coaching staff is keeping him as a secret weapon or he isnt healthy 100% yet...

D-rock likes this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think what I should have said is that the rockets were not locked in .

I understand sometimes a good opponent can knock you off your rhythm , but you can still maintain mental focus and team unity .

The point I guess I was trying to make is that I think the rockets have agency over their own preparation and focus .

Even before we squandered the lead we weren't playing particularly great . I think the shooting variance was a bit in our favor. When that started falling off then it wasn't like our defense was shutting them down .

D-rock likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because @Clutch
    has been watching every single Rockets game for over 20 years

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'd like to see someone tell PJ Tucker it looked like they were holding back last night.

It was obvious that the Rockets were all in. Faried didn't play, but I suspect his knee may have been a little sore, so they may have kept him out.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The Rockets were absolutely holding back.... their shooting percentage.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

**** man , it was an honest question . No disreppecc meant

Hey I've been around for 10 myself lol

Hakeemtheking and tinman like this.