1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should trade Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsfan1217, May 2, 2012.

1. Rocketsfan1217

There have been rumors that the Portland Trail blazers are interested in Goran Dragic. I think the rockets should resign goran and try to ship kyle to Portland considering they have a desperate need at the one. I was hoping we could trade for the new jersey pick(to
    p three protected) or maybe get the blazers pick straight up for kyle lowry1`.

2 people like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why would Portland trade something significant for Lowry at draft time when they can later try to sign Dragic without giving up anything?

3. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam???

Jesus, there are 30 threads about the same thing.

4. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Why would th Rockets trade the only PG on their roster?

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

6. jacoby

jacoby Member

He meant we should trade Lowry after we resign Dragic.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Why does the person driving in front of me ALWAYS spray their windshield wiper fluid on the freeway RIGHT after I wash my car?!

8. Rocketsfan1217

2012 free agent point guards
    Deron Williams – most likely would not sign with Portland
    Steve Nash – looking to win a championship at this point in his career
    D.j. Augustin- is nowhere close near lowry’s talent
    Chauncey Billups- is looking to go to a winning team and Portland most likely does not want an old point guard
    Jameer Nelson- I think lowry is a better player and will have a much better contract

I would only trade lowry with the knowledge of goran resigning. I do believe lowry is a better option then most point guards that are available in free agency.

I think it would take both of our picks (new york and our own) plus lowry to trade for the new jersey pick. This allows Portland to have a point guard and have 3 picks in a stacked draft to help them rebuild.

9. allanivan

allanivan Member

The question is if the rockets tell Dragic that they will trade Lowry and keep him. At the same time, rockets will pay as much as Portland will do. In this case, what are the reasons that could lead Dragic to sign with Portland instead of rockets?
    If rockets decide on Dragic and Lowry decision, the words will be spread out in the league and chance of any other team getting Dragic will become very slim.
    I think that is how rockets should handle the situation.,:)

10. allanivan

allanivan Member

it depends on that pick is a 4, 5 or 6 or even lower. I would do the trade for Brad Beal only, and I think that's too much, two picks and Lowry for a 5 or 6th pick? How about that Rudy Gay trade for Battier. Was Battier better at the time or the current Lowry?

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The problem is all about timing here. A draft day trade will be June 28th. Goran cannot commit to Houston officially till July 11th. So obviously Portland would rather just sign Goran in free agency than trade for Lowry on draft day. Thats who they really want in the first place, so why settle early.

However, there is a possibility of trading the rights to the players drafted after the fact on July 11th if Goran ends up signing with the Rockets in July. Similar to the Ron Artest deal involving Donte Green.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lowry will be traded, the team has moved on. They are after Gogi and will match all offers and include max raises, I put the chances of Gogi signing here in Houston at 73.89%.

DD

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Because a trade guarantees that you get yourself a veteran pg and they would likely save some cap space by trading for Lowry instead of signing Dragic.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

But, Dragic will probably only re-sign with the knowledge that Lowry's been traded. It's a bit of a catch-22.

Portland has said they aren't rebuilding via draft. They want to use the draft pick to get veterans to retool. And, Lowry would be good for them and all, but they can use that pick to fill a different position of need, knowing they have a couple of bites at the apple regarding point guard. They can first try for Deron Williams (why have all that cap space if you're not going to chase the one max free agent left on the market?). If they strike out there, they can try Dragic. If not him, maybe Hinrich or Nash or Terry (if Williams goes to Dallas) or Jeremy Lin. Free agency seems like a more promising channel for getting a point guard than it is for other positions this offseason.

And, really, if I was Dragic choosing between Houston and Portland, if it wasn't for Houston's incumbency I'd probably go with Portland. Houston is looking all over for a franchise player; Portland has Aldridge. I just don't see Portland making a trade for Lowry unless and until they strike out with other starting-quality PGs.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There are several other worthy FA PGs, including Steve Nash and Deron Wiliams, in whom Portland has also been reported to have interest. One would assume that, given they are careful to have substantial cap room this summer (almost $11 million even after accounting for all cap holds, and almost $18 mil more if they would renounce Hickson and Craig Smith ), it is reasonable for Portland to at least get into the free agency chase rather than prematurely bow out of it.

Lowry is a fallback option, certainly in comparison to Deron Williams. You don't go to your fallback option before you tried your top option first.

Lowry may or may not be traded, but a Lowry to Portland draft night trade just ain't gonna happen.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

There's also the Deron Williams option, along with another long shot at Jeremy Lin.

Following are Jose Calderon, Mo Williams, and horde of passable point guards.

They could also draft Kendall Marshall or Damian Lilliard.

Why would they need to trade for Lowry, especially with a draft pick? I'm not entirely sure, I would want to give up any high picks for Lowry. Never been an all-star and not one of the top 7 or 8 players at his position. Recovering from a serious illness, and couldn't even get minutes, once he came back.

Lowry is good . . . but I'm not sure he is worth such a high pick.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I believe tjhe rumor mentioned Portland possibly wanting to trade out of the 1st round all together if they were able to get a good deal including a good PG coming back. They still have two back to back 2nd rounders as well.
    Personally, i feel if the Rockets were not able to trade up into the top 4, they should focus on trading Lowry for either NO's #10 or Portland's #11. Probably #11 so as to not have to send a pick back. They would probably have to take back a player( W. Mathews, J. Crawford). Maybe even Scola and Martin to NO for Okafor and #10?

Go into the draft with:
    #10?

Might even be able to do the old #14(Rivers)+ (player) for #21 and #22, but that would be way over doing it.:eek:

My point is, there are way to many other good possiblities other than chasing after people who don't want to be here. Possibilities that actually make sense once Gogi is resigned.;) That would help everything to fall into place, so to speak

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can get Lowry for 2 years at a undervalued contract, or you can overpay for Dragic.

I think a trade is likely.

DD

19. Mariachi ROCKET

LMFAO @ the plate smasher!!!!!!!!!

20. Granville

Granville Member

The off the court stuff with Lowry this year raises some red flags. Dragic outplayed him this year so if one of them leaves, I'm hoping it's Lowry.