1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

We should support James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, May 11, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

To me there is just no other way to say it

James played a freaking FANTASTIC series . He wasn't as dominant on offense as we are used to seeing during the regular season , but expecting that is just unreasonable .

James was guarded mostly by : KD , Iggy , green , and Klay . (With some switches on curry and other to be sure .... but primarily those 4)

Those are 4 REALLY REALLY good defenders . They are all bigger than James.

Furthermore , James was incredible on defense this series . Eric and PJ had stellar series defensively as well , but James was right up as our best defender .

It is a shame that he made some mistakes down the stretch in this game . But , as others have pointed out .... we should have been up 20 . James was the only guy to show up in the first half . Outside of a couple of Gordon sightings and PJ hustle and CP3's second half .... he was pretty much the only guy that showed up all series .

So can we stop piling on him for a second?

stop focusing on the "clutch" and start thinking about what led to that situation anyways .

in my opinion James played about as well as anyone can play this entire series . He dueled KD to a standstill and was more impactful overall because we rely on him to create too . His defense rose to a level I've never seen before . And in the last game he was the only reason we weren't down 20 at half . His body just couldn't make it to the end .

Perhaps instead of criticizing him for not being in better shape , maybe think that we shouldn't have relied on him to score 36 a game for 82 .

Maybe think that "give the ball to James " is a good strategy , but shouldn't be our only strategy .... and one we use for 82 games , then the playoffs .

Reeko, Nook, GotGame15 and 11 others like this.
  2. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Harden and cp3 are unable to put the ball into net for important time. Tilman needs to pay more tax to get a more reliable player in the team.

juanm34 and chadyang like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Agreed. He's been good to us.

Reeko, mikol13 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Only because we have to.

5. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

All he does is shrink in the BIGGEST games. I cant support a player or players with no heart.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's very good no doubt, we're not here without him.

But to win a championship and be remembered as a true great he needs to be a bit better. He has to outplay curry and other stars, not be outplayed

snowconeman22 and waytookrzy079 like this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I do agree that James had a good series overall, and you can argue that with Chris playing like last night in more games, with Capela doing something, with Mike making some better decisions and without the rig job of game 1, we could've won this series, just like last season if Chris doesn't get hurt. But the way he closed out the game last night...eh, that was not good, for some reason he also missed a ton of free throws, was that a coincidence? When was the last time he missed like 5 fts in a game?

In the end i still support James, sometimes i feel like there are more expectations on him than on anybody else in the league, Westbrook and Durant never had the same pressure and they never did better had better results than him, same for a ton of other guys, probably only Lebron had the same pressure to win after he lost multiple times with the Cavs and before he left for Miami, but regardles, James really needs to be mentally stronger in these kind of games, it's like he's just not playing at his best, i think this is pretty clear at this point, those two sloppy/careless turnovers he had last night in the last minutes were just inexcusable.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I’ll support James Harden til I die. One of the greatest we’ll ever see wear a Rockets jersey.

I’m just done giving him a pass. I’m done giving him moral victories like “If not for him, we would get swept!”. He doesn’t step up when his team needs him in the playoffs most, and that’s a fault he’ll always have to carry, until proven otherwise.

Watching Curry go nuclear these past two 4th quarters because he knew that’s what his team needed, while Harden remained passive and showed no sense of urgency...yeah...that’ll stick with me for a while.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If we win Harden gets all the praise and rightfully so when we lose he should take the brunt of the criticism. He could have done more.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

This. I’m fully aware of how good he is in the regular season. That’s a given. That can’t be taken away from him. He’s been incredible there

Come playoff time I’m just at that point of yeah he isn’t good enough to be that true elite player to close out games and flat out outplay the competition in order to get the W when it matters most. He just doesn’t have that killer instinct in him. It is what it is. Unfortunately, that just puts the rockets in a significantly tough spot

everyday eddie, smp and ilovehtownbb like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That’s what sucks. He *is* good enough to be that player.

Just doesn’t want to be. Doesn’t want to seize the moment.

12. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

James Harden is the best Rocket ever, besides Hakeem. He might go down as a top 5 Houston sports figure of all time.

He just can’t beat the Warriors...just like everyone else not named LeBron and even he lost 3 of 4

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The thing about Harden that bugged me is the pace at which he plays. He looks too leisurely out there, and I think it gives the defense an advantage. I guess he’s trying to play cat and mouse with the defense, but I think it bogs down the offense too often.

That said, Harden was good this series. Much better than against the Jazz, and definitely better than his series last year against the Warriors. That is encouraging.

14. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Tillman’s the one that needs to support him.
    As in provide him with a better supporting cast.
    James needs to forget about the regular season cause those achievements done mean s***!!!

Stepping Razor likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah but isn't that true of every star without a ring? Barkley, Malone, Stockton and Ewing just couldn't beat Jordan and Hakeem

16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

We should support Harden. Harden is not the reason we lost this series. Capela and CP3 were no shows. We needed them to play to their potential and they didn't. Not one player in the history of the NBA could knock out these Warriors by themselves.

I think as Houston fans we're so used to Harden doing these sensational feats that we forgot we were playing the greatest team of all time. We needed the WHOLE team to show up and they didn't. House became unplayable, Faried was on the bench, Green was a liability on defense, etc. The better team won.

Stop looking for a scapegoat. Harden isn't the reason we lost.

17. Asian Sensation

33 assists to 23 turnovers and a whole lotta dribbling. But he averaged over 30 points per game so it was worth it right?

Never gonna win with his style.

18. ksny15

ksny15 Member

This sums it up perfectly. Watching Curry show everyone why he is a 2 time MVP the last two 4th quarters and seeing Harden shy away will stay with me for a while. Love the guy. But playoff Harden just doesn't work.

joshuaao, Mr. Clutch, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Opportunity was there even after the botched chance in game 5. Like you said when guys like curry and even klay just go nuclear when the game comes down to the end is just a massive disappointment. They couldn’t careless what was going on before that. Not even on the road. All they want to do is make it count and send you home if they get the chance to.

20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Stop finding excuses.
    Harden is just a loser in playoffs.

You won't know we are playing elimination game from Harden's body language. He looks like he does not give a shiit about W or L.