1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We Should Have Already Won The Division Title?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Apr 14, 2009.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

It appears that the refs bailed out the Spurs and allowed a shot that should not have counted to beat the Kings. :mad: They were bailed out and if this shot would not have counted, we would have already won the division title and not need to worry about playing for the Division Title against the Mavericks...

New York Times

League to Discuss Using Replays on Shot-Clock Violations
    By HOWARD BECK
    Published: April 13, 2009

The N.B.A. may consider using instant replay to judge shot-clock violations in response to a missed call that helped San Antonio beat Sacramento on Sunday.

The N.B.A. may consider using instant replay to judge shot-clock violations in response to a missed call that helped San Antonio beat Sacramento on Sunday.

“I’m open to consideration of the subject,” Stern said Monday during a conference call. “We are, of course, moving perhaps too gradually for some, to more and more review, instant replay.”

He said that any change to the rules would probably not be implemented until next season.

The N.B.A. uses replays to judge shots made with no time left on the game clock, at the end of quarters or overtime periods; to judge whether a shot is a 2-point or 3-point attempt; and to determine the severity of a flagrant foul.

Ronald L. Johnson, the N.B.A.’s senior vice president for referee operations, acknowledged that the refereeing crew in the Spurs-Kings game missed the call, adding, “I can tell you, the crew chief laid awake all night concerned about it.”

2. astros148

astros148 Member

stop crying and grow up.

:rolleyes:

3. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

This team has had to scrap and work hard to earn every win they've gotten this season. I'm confident they will bring home the division title with another hard fought win on wednesday.

They're not focused on anything other than their own play, and that's why theyve persevered through all of the adversity to improve and put themselves in position for the number 2 seed.

We're a better team than San Antonio, and I know we'll eventually prove it on the court. Let the Spurs have their cheap win.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Old news, there was only like 5 threads about Finley's shot.

As for the possibility of a review of shots at the buzzer (shot clock violation) there should be. They have it at the end of the quarters. They should have the same for scv's.

5. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Pshh...my ass :rolleyes:

6. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

I doubt he lost sleep.

If he was awake all nite, he was up counting the money he won from betting on the game. :p

7. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Even if the Spurs had lost, we could still lose the division.

Since that wasn't a division game, and we'd only be up by one game at this point, we could still finish with the same record as SA, only with a worse division record - which is the second tie-breaker.

Rockets loss to Mavericks = 53-29 overall, 9-7 in division.

Spurs loss to Kings + win over Hornets = 53-29 overall, 10-6 in division.

Besides, for a few days now, it hasn't mattered what the Spurs do - only that the Rockets take care of their own business.

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

The game was tied at 92, I wouldn't bet against the Spurs winning anyways.

9. yao123

yao123 Member

and who the f0ck say that the rockets going to lose to the gay ass mav?

10. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Maybe but don't put the game in the referees hands to make that judgement. It would be very simple for them to implement a review rule for the playoffs but Stern isn't doing it. Just makes you question the integrity of officiating even more...

11. yao123

yao123 Member

agree...whatever happen to common sense these day....they are trying to bring back the caveman period while today we have all these technology and **** and still fail to use it...this is why you dont get a old ass b**** to be your commissioner because he dont know **** about technology...too dam advance for his old @ss

12. Precision340

Precision340 Member

yeah, but there was still time left for sacto to maybe take a shot and win the game.. the erroneous 3 forced them to go for the tie.. who knows how that game would have turned out.. and instant replay was not needed to make that call.. finley's shot clearly shouldn't have counted.. but oh well we need to focus on the mavs.. go rockets!! :D

13. wang69

wang69 Member

the only way we could have won the division by now is if SA lost to both sacramento and golden state, which, even the biggest SA detractors would have to admit is close to improbable. the outcome of the kings game wouldn't have changed ANYTHING for the rockets, it still would have been imperative for us to win out.

i see the finely fiasco as being a good catalyst for some rule changes with the officiating, but i don't see the connection with the rockets whatsoever.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

we beat the mavs and this thread is even less relevant.

15. tsunami

tsunami Member

shutup! He's not crying, he just told the truth...

16. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

I love how football allows the coach to throw a flag for a review and if they are wrong it costs them a timeout. They should do the same in basketball.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

As fans, we should enjoy the biggest game of the season tomorrow!

Just like Game 7 in the finals. Enjoy!!!

18. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

that's a tie game. So, how does OP know the Spurs were not going to win in OT? It's a bad call and bad NBA rule. Refs can review if the foot is on the line but not shot clock violation? WTF!

19. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i agree the refs blew that call and it may or not be to our detriment. all i'm saying is that we have one game left against an inferior mavs team and we just need to take care of business. then, the division is ours.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah a) super old news.. enough complaining about it. we knew the ramifications already when it happened b) tie game..can't assume "we would already have the title"