1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need to pick up Patric Young!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Samdogg36, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

I know there is a draft thread with Patric Young, since the draft is over thought would start new with his status now undrafted. Feel free to merge if necessary.
    I had read into his process and all signs pointed toward him jumping up in the draft so how does he fall completely out when he was at worse a mid second round pick? That doesn't matter now but we have the opportunity to pick up a solid contributor and should act fast. Young is the ultimate hustle big guy who is built to bang and play with heart. As a Gator fan I have watched his game progress and can say he is better than numbers suggest. I always felt they needed to get him more involved but he never complained and just played his part. His calling off the bat is defense (defensive player of the year in sec), pick and roll, setting some of the best screens and like said earlier hustle. Young is a guy who who is going to boost the morale and stay clean and be loved by coaches for his work ethic. Not only is he a beast he has smarts (obviously 3 time scholar athlete of the year).
    The best place to pick up a big is the draft, because we can get them cheap. We blew that but are in a position to get a very solid one in Young if we act quick. Sorry but DMo won't cut it on D. We need a beast like Young to anchor the second unit.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Would be nice, but Rockets are not in the best position to lure top undrafted talent, given that they can't guarantee a dime. I'd really love to see them convince him to join their Summer League team though.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Maybe Chandler can convince him to sign with us

;)

4. bmd

bmd Member

I'm having visions of Thomas Robinson.

5. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Thanks for the info Clutch. Hopefully they can convince him to join the Summer League team then. I agree with that Shasta. The potential of playing with a friend like Parsons and a winning team could be enough to get him to take the risk of unguaranteed contract. I just believe regardless we are going to have to go after a big anyways with Asik gone.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I can't believe he didn't get drafted. Reminds me of Joey Dorsey, would be a nice enforcer.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

ESPN's Kevin Pelton weighs in on Patric Young from his chat today.

8. Casper

Casper Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Perhaps biggest shocker of undrafted guys: ex-Florida big man Patric Young. Rockets said to be highly interested, unclear if deal reached.</p>&mdash; Sam Amico (@SamAmicoFSO) <a href="https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/statuses/482383331867492352">June 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Will they have exceptions AFTER their sign their 'big fish'?

Rocket River

10. BigTex

BigTex Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A0xoH5zCru4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

seems like a good guy

1 person likes this.
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Texans should be looking at him.

12. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Thanks for the read. He never was asked to be the man at Florida, he was just meant to play D and set screens with him occasionally getting the chance on offense with a more perimeter offense attack the Gators used. He will stick as a defensive player in the league and could have put better numbers on lot of other teams but I feel by him going there he will have a better chance moving forward. I am not worried about the rebounds personally, he moves around so much and alters shots that lot of times he would not be in position to rebound. Its about the type of role and where they want him at. He can rebound and has against some of the best if coach wanted him patrol the paint more.

13. Fantasma Negro

His rebound numbers suck but he plays defense well enough to disrupt. I'd love to see him and T. Jones fight for mins. I think he could benefit from the daily sessions with Dwight and Dream

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Can sign anyone for the minimum at any time....

Can we not give him minimum salary now (like the special Morey non guaranteed 2-3 yr deal for summer league)? Isn't minimum salary the cap charge for an emoty roster position anyway?

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Young and D-Mo's games complement each other very well & would be a nice pair coming off the bench.

16. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

"I'm glad Kentucky didn't when it all. It would have been a kick in the mouth since we beat them three times this year."

Dammit, reminded me of the Spurs.

17. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

He seems way more level headed than Robinson.

18. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

he on the pelicans summer league team

19. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Crap!

20. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

They can guarantee his (or any other undrafted FA) whole first year without cutting a bit of cap space this year and could guarantee as much in subsequent years as they want. Just like they did with Covington last year.