1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need to find the Clippers Series X-Factors, 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, May 11, 2017.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

As pointed out in the 538 thread, and various others, the 7 man rotation sputtered at the end of game 5 and I definitely don't want to see D'Antoni risk it for a second game, especially an elimination game.

First let me say that I was disgusted by Harden's late 4th and OT play in game 5. Some of it can be chalked up to fatigue but I think it's indefensible; you can't be too fatigued to pass. Nevertheless... success from here will be based less on Harden and more on Josh Smith and Corey Brewer - whoever they are in 2017.

While D'Antoni is reluctant to play "unknowns", the way Houston beat the Clippers in 2015, famously, was the insane play of the bench players. Even Pablo Prigioni had some big moments with key steals and 3 pointers.

We need to find those players this year; and we can't if we don't even try. Whether it's Sam Dekker or Montrezl Harrell, someone can play that garbage-man / energy role that we desperately need in the front court when one of Anderson or Capela is sitting.

In other words, we need one of Sam/Montrezl to be the Smith role, and Lou Williams or Eric Gordon to step up into the Corey Brewer role. Something no one has ever said before. :p

Heck, at this point I don't even care if it's Troy Williams or Bobby Brown. Remember when Troy Daniels got thrown in a playoff game and nailed some big shots?

saleem likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trez is the X-Factor

3. napalm06

Great - let's call D'Antoni and get him on board. Anyone have his cell number?

4. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Who will step up and be our Josh Smith this year because Harden clearly isn't getting it done?

5. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

How about just asking Josh Smith? He's already at the game

[​IMG]

Easy and napalm06 like this.
  6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Idk why we didn't pickup Josh Smith, I'm sure he would have taken the vets min with us....... would he not?

napalm06 likes this.
  7. napalm06

Well #1, Harden is playing fine - for 3 quarters.
    #2 It's less about someone stepping up and more about D'Antoni putting people on the floor (and giving rest to the weary).

I got burned at the stake for suggesting this a couple of times during the season. He'd be an excellent emergency post defender and garbage man. Been saying that all along!

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

We don't need an X factor. The Spurs aren't exactly destroying us. It boils down to execution early on. The Rockets keep having these slow starts and that comes from attitude. If they start stronger (which comes a lot from James pushing the pace and taking care of the ball) we have this. If they don't, it's a bare knuckle fight that often devolves into an 8 vs. 5 brawl. We won't get those calls down the stretch, so just avoid them all together.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

And clone Corey Brewer.

TMac'n likes this.
  10. bigred77

bigred77 Member

napalm06 likes this.
  11. CertifiedTroll

Cool. Another Bobby Brown thread.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. napalm06

Absolutely true, I hate the way our starting 5 comes out and has lazy first quarters. But I wonder how much harder they would go if they knew that Corey Brewer would come in to build the lead in the third quarter. :p

What the heck do you know, Keith Jones?

13. Mr. Motiejunas

Lou Williams needs to have an epic game soon. I'm talking 30+ points.