1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need a moderate Republican President and a Democrat Congress

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's the only formula that seems to have a chance at working.

A moderate Republican who can appeal to both centrist democrats and most Republicans outside the insane right and a democratic congress to ensure moderate court appointments and keep a president in check.

Democrats show they can compromise. Republican congresses can not. All Republican house and Pres and they muck everything up. And a Democratic President is just going to get stonewalled by a Republican congress until they elect a Republican president.

This country was at its best when we have a Democratic Congress - and if that means we have to have a John Kasich as president to keep Congress blue, I'm all for it.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We need a monarchy with a kind and thoughtful royal family.

No Worries, Amiga, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Republicans are no longer a viable party.

We have need of none of them in any form.

#3 larsv8, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Meh this country needs Chris Coons to run for President.

5. Buck Turgidson

Huh, I just checked...water is still wet.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A moderate Republican is called a Democrat.

7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

John Kasich?

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Democrat (per Trumplican)

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Eric Trump, is that you bro?

Haymitch likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I ardently disagree with the premise of the OP. We need a strong Democratic President to go along with a Democratic Congress in order to not only get needed things done for the country, but in order to repair the damage the current Republican majority in Congress, in lockstep with the wildly bizarre and incompetent trump administration, has inflicted on the United States and on our relations with our allies and friends around the world.

The developing world once viewed us as a model worthy of copying. Under trump, much of the developing world is being sucked into having huge debts owed to China, as that authoritarian regime works to expand their influence at the expense of the rules based international order promoted by the Western democracies, which has played a large role in keeping the world from being sucked into yet another world war since the end of WWII, while promoting democracy. Mr. trump, meanwhile, continues to bellow his admiration of autocrats like Erdogan of Turkey, Putin of Russia, and the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia. The damage internationally caused by Mr. trump's incompetence, supported by the GOP congress, is immense, in my opinion. Repairing our standing around the world will take up a considerable amount of time for the next Secretary of State, post-trump.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The no 1 issue for any president needs to healthcare. Economy will go up and down it's not something anyone can really control.

KingCheetah likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

John Huntsman - I think at this point though he may be considered a far left liberal like McCain and Flake.

Air Langhi likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What you don't realize is that as soon as you have a democratic president and congress, they will have 2 years to get something done before you get a Republican congress and ultimately a Republican President to do even more damage. We have these back and forth cycle and that's not accomplishing anything. Trump undid everything Obama did with the exception of the Health plan.

I'm not the liberal I am painted to be on here, I'm more of a pragmatist and don't see a Democratic house and presidency sustainable for more than 2 years.

But with a Republican president (moderate one) democrats can gain control of congress and the state legislatures and ensure that right-wing judges never get appointed. They would force a Republican president to compromise and things could get done.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I'd have to say it's climate change and promoting renewable energy. I'll support either democrat or republican if they back this stance.

15. Senator

Senator Member

Yup. Sustainable energy and agriculture as one. As a consequence, this ties in with much better health for Americans and you will see healthcare costs dramatically go down when they move away from industrial, chemical laden agriculture to sustainable methods with enriched soil.

Industrial lobbyists always used the argument decades ago that this was not profitable but you are seeing how much more money it costs America to do things the wrong way.

Being sick is not normal... unless you are American.

I'll be on the ticket in 2024 and am still waiting to see which side is more willing to go to common sense instead of wasting energy on issues that effect 0.1% of the population because of emotional pulls.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Maybe a speeding ticket.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.