1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We either get Gasol or Howard next year.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Feb 23, 2013.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Lakers are going to be in Luxury tax hell this coming season. If they resign Howard, they will be paying almost 85 million in luxury tax. If they amnesty Gasol, the bill will be around 15-20 million. Gasol is not worth 65 million bucks in luxury tax especially with the Lakers going no where. If they do amnesty him, we can bid the most for him and he would be an expiring contract that would leave max room for the following year's free agents which includes the Miami big three. So either way we are set this coming season. With the Gasol rental, we are contenders next year. We would also have some room left for for other free agents to plug up any holes that pop up

Lin\Beverly
    Harden\Delfino
    Parsons\Delfino
    Gasol\TRob\Dmo
    Asik\Gasol\Smith

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Even if he's not amnestied, if Paul and Howard re-sign with their respective teams I'd be more comfortable with taking Pau off their hands in a straight salary dump for one season than offering Josh Smith a max deal.

I realize I'm probably in the minority.

3. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Not a bad plan B, pick up Gasol for a few million in the amnesty auction and save our cap room for the summer of LeBron.

4. vida311

vida311 Member

I was thinking that but w/ his age and injuries starting to rack up it would be better to trade our picks younger players for a kevin love or an al jefferson.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'm with you on that....smith on a max makes me ill just thinking about it. That'd handcuff this team to the fringe of title contender status. I'd rather take the Pau rental. Makes sense for a year and gives the team options in a time when options in terms of FA's abound.

6. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

I'm with you,Gasol's expiring contract, should a trade happen, will be very attractive around the trade deadline

I really hope The Lakers would amnesty him, he couldmprovide the much needed help at the 4 and could teach Asik/DMo/Jones/Robinson a thing or two

7. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Rockets should also be looking at FAs JJ Hickson and Jarrett Jack.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am not really keen on him, but I would rather do that as well. Some other team is likely to offer Pau a longer deal, which would be fine with me.

9. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

or or, we could just absorb his massive contract so the Lakers would not be in Cap hell

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Makes good sense. I don't see the Lakers paying $85 million in luxury tax for a team that missed the playoffs.

My guess is the high bid will be around $10 million.

11. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

While definitely a great idea in a vacuum, I'm afraid this option doesn't sound too ideal. Gasol is getting older and older, and will he be able to grow with the rise of Harden into superstardom? By the time Harden is primed to put up MVP stats, Gasol might be plagued by injury problems or a rapid decline in production due to age.

I'd rather sign Paul Millsap or Josh Smith to a long-term contract. Any other year I'd be more than open to a Gasol rental, but this free-agency is hit or go home for us.

The final question is whether we would want to wait til the 2014 Free Agency. If we have plans for that, then I could definitely see a Gasol rental working out.

But will any of LeBron/Wade/Both/Anthony/Gay want to come to Houston? From the looks of things, they'd prefer the pampering of the big cities rather than come to Houston.

I think if we can get Dwight Howard this summer, you do it. Otherwise a Gasol rental wouldn't be a bad option if we strike out this summer.

Problem is I don't see anyone outside of Bosh being a good target in 2014.

Iguodala is probably the best bet for the 2014 option, but I really think we need a power forward much more than a SF when we have Parsons.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm with you except for one thing - I'm not sure if Pau can run with this team at his age. Josh Smith can.

I still like Pau better.

13. PureElement

PureElement Member

Love this plan B. Gasol would be a great fit. He really has all the skills you want out of a big man.

14. cw3k

cw3k Member

Gasol is 32. Are we going the Knicks' route? Go OLDER!!!!!!

15. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Not sure if you're thinking the same thing the OP is suggesting. Pau wouldn't be around past the next season since he expires. The point being he's a 1 year rental that expires to clear space for the next summers FA class.

I think Pau would only be around if he's resigned for cheap.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Gasol off waivers is an interesting idea if Dwight takes the money and stay in LA. I think having him come off the bench as the backup C and play that sixth man role while either D-mo or T-Rob starts would be optimal.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You have to understand what Pau is these days. He is a center just like when LA won their two most recent rings. The Lakers problem is that they have had a better option (Howard) or an unavoidable option (Bynum could not play any other position). Pau's pace of play is about the same as Asik's. Slow. So, unless we are bringing him in mainly as a back up center, I would have to say no. The Rockets ship sailed this year without Pau. However if he was cheap - like $5 million I would take a chance.

Smith - just say no. At $11 million probably. I would not want to pay him more than Harden that is for sure. I vote for letting the coaching staff and Morey roll for another 4 months with the power forwards we have. They are just now getting around to a full assessment. They felt comfortable shipping off both of our rotation power forwards. That generally means that they feel comfortable that D-Mo is at least as good of an option. And if either D-Mo or T-Rob turn out to be on the same trajectory as all of the other players, then strengthen the bench and wait for 2014.

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I agree. We can't sign Josh Smith. That would be the end of hope. We should keep max offseason cap space until we can use on another superstar.

19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

If Smith is willing to slightly less than a max deal I would sign him, and the Rockets don't have to do a sign and trade.

Athletic wings like him don't come around too often. He would be the perfect 4 on this team. Runs the floor, rebounds, weak-side shot blocker, as some range to his jump shot.

He's what we hope Robinson can become in a few years.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

The problem with Gasol on this team even as a one year rental is that he can't run anymore.