1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We beat the Jazz!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treeman, Apr 9, 2000.

1. treeman

treeman Member

Wow, what a week to be a Rox fan! Blazers, Sonics, and - the cherry on top - the Jazz. Personally, we could have lost the other two, but beating the Jazz would make up for it all. Last time we beat them was in 98 playoffs if I remember correctly, this win is soooo sweet.

One thing I really loved about this game was that the Jazz got called for their usual dirty play - Stockton was pissed (that put a smile on my face). And Stevie played him hard - beat him actually.

This team has shown glimpses of brilliance throughout the season, but this past week it has been nonstop. I'm content now with them not being in the playoffs this season, because I see now that there's a lot to be optimistic about next season. (I know a lot of you might disagree, but I think they'll make the playoffs next season). What a shame they aren't there this year; they've proven they can beat some of the top teams (the Blazers and Lakers in particular), it's just that they took a little too long to gel. But next season should be alot of fun...

The Jazz suck.

------------------

2. RocketsFanFromLa

Seems like the Rockets play good everytime they're on NBC. Lakers. Portland, now Utah. Maybe if Fox Sports Network became NBC Sports Network, the Rockets might be in the playoffs.

------------------

Really a member since March 1999.

3. treeman

treeman Member

It's odd; NBC games have traditionally been a curse for the Rox, but this season they've done well in nationally televised games. For example, last season they lost virtually every NBC game, I believe (I'm too lazy to look it up, but I know it was bad).

I think the kids just love to show off, and on NBC they have a bigger audience...

------------------

4. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

More stats- in their last TWENTY THREE games on NBC the Rockets have won three. Which three? Lakers, Portland, and Jazz. All by your NEW Houston Rockets in Y2K.

------------------

5. treeman

treeman Member

That's about what I thought. What a nice change of pace...

------------------

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What are you people talking about! We never should've beaten the Blazers, Sonics, or Jazz, because we screwed our future in the process! Look at the Clippers...they never would've won those games, because they're smart! They know you're not supposed to win games like this when you're not going to make the playoffs! Look to the Clippers (or Nets, or Wizards, or Nuggets, or Mavericks, or Warriors, etc.)! They will show us the way! Stop winning, Rockets!

------------------

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Woo. TheFreak is coming over to the DarkSide... yes! [​IMG]

------------------
    <this space for rent>

8. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'm sorry guys,

But I'd rather win than tank.

We need a big man, and there really arent any big men in this draft that are going to turn around this franchise (no, not Stevie).

Look at teams who lose season after season and are in the draft every year...Like the Wizards, Mavs, and Clips.

Just because you draft high doesnt mean you are going to find a guy who is going to be a future MVP.

Re-sign who we have now, and I think with a spot anywhere in the top ten we should be fine next year.

------------------
    COME BACK CHARLES!

9. treeman

treeman Member

Freak:

In rational terms, you're right. The more we tank, the better our position in the draft. Emotionally speaking, (these words are not printable).

But what are we going to get from the draft this year? My best hope would be Nadjera, and (tho he's good and he would help) he's not going to shift the scales heavily.

We are not going to get Martin, and he's the only really decent prospect this draft.

This draft year is one we shouldn't worry passing over.

BTW, I'll bet that you could give the Clippers (or Bulls or Griz) the top pick and they'll still suck next year. And whoever they pick will want to leave as soon as possible anyway... Guaranteed.

So in my mind at least, this draft is not worth tanking for. I say win it all from here on out: show us that this team can win. Don't forget morale (the Curse of the Clips); this team knows it can beat anyone now - all the more reason to keep it together and make only a few minor additions and subtractions in the offseason (unless Rudy pulls some more of that offseason magic that we're starting to get used to).

I say that showing both the Houston fans and the other NBA teams that THIS IS A GOOD TEAM is more important than gambling away the future on a mediocre draft pick.

I say WIN! WIN THEM ALL FROM HERE TO THE END!!!

F' tanking. Teams that tank are teams that have no motivation, and therefore - no matter what talent they have - they will always be losers.

The Rockets seem to be virtually alone among the "weak" teams in not tanking. I for one am happy to see that, because that tells me that THEY WANT TO WIN - something lacking in the other "weak" teams.

And I guarantee you that whoever wants to win more than the other guy is the one who wins more often than not.

------------------

10. WHAM!

WHAM! Member

treeman

that was awesome. i'm kind of teary. but, you did hit it right on. tanking is bad. period. the game is just as much a mental one as a physical one and overcoming the losing mentality is much more difficult than overcoming the physical shortcomings of the team. the clippers and mavericks actually have some good players and shouldn't keep on sucking. be thankful for our coach, or players, and most importantly our heart. go clutchcity.

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

TheFreak is just having fun. He was vehemently against tanking several months ago because the losing attitude of a struggling team is something that is often hard to overcome.

We argued against several other posters on this BBS that wanted the Rockets to tank to get a good shot at an impact frontcourt player (high draft choice). The feeling was that a 6'3" PG would not be able to control/impact games and Steve would have to eventually end up playing second fiddle to a dominant 4 or 5. There were threads done on the championship teams over the past 20 years and what position did the dominant/main player on the team play.

Look at the confidence the team has now and reflect on the past threads on this BBS:

Threads about Walt needing to go (I am guilty of posting in those)

Threads about Cato

Threads about Cat

Threads about KT

Threads about SA

Threads about Rudy

Threads on just about any player that the Rockets have on their roster.

They have overcame injuries to veteran players who were supposed to guide them through their initial year of being together.

It is still a work in progress, but closer to the dawn than anybody could have hoped when
    Charles went down.

Give a moment of silence and thank your
    maker that you are a Rocket fan.

Mango

------------------
    A Ranking Official in the Serious Police

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited April 10, 2000).]

12. treeman

treeman Member

WHAM:

Exactly. Why stop now???

Mango:

Freak is Freak. In my opinion, he's right more often than not, but on this one I disagree. But to me, tanking is NOT an option. I want this team to WIN every game from here on out (and looking at the sched, it's possible).

There's also the upcoming vote to consider: will Houstonians buy a new arena/stadium for a losing team? Ask Bum Phillips...

If we don't get a new arena, there will be no Houston Rockets. If they win now some fans might be more inclined to get up off their computer chairs and go to the nearest voting booth... Unlikely, but tanking won't help the voter turnout either...

------------------

13. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

uh, Treeman, you are dead on, but I don't think you caught Freak's sarcasm in his post...

------------------

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What sarcasm? lol!

------------------
    <this space for rent>

15. treeman

treeman Member

I deserved that.

Recognizing sarcasm - that's all fine. I missed one. But I'm still right... Tanking is NOT an option - at least, not a good one - at this point.

Morale is more important.

------------------

16. Houston Rocks

Houston Rocks Member

I was there. Damn proud of it too. Even if the Rockets kind of sucked for most of the season-I have been waiting to watch FowlBoy Malone and Johnny Flopton lose to the Rocks for years now. Now the pain of that loss in the playoffs two years ago has diminished completely. ( The series we would have won if Barkley didn't get the arm injury ) Being there in person was cool. Stockton cant handle our boy Stevie. I think I caught Steve saying "Call me Daddy" to him at one point in the game. [​IMG]

---------------
    ROCKS

"Key-Grip" of the S.F.B.W.C.
    and many more.

------------------

17. treeman

treeman Member

Now THAT is good morale.

------------------

18. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

WIN!! WIN!! WIN!!

thank you

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

19. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Tanking is in no way an option. And by the way, I think I caught that "Call me Daddy" comment during the game, too. It's great to see the Jazz finally falling after many years of "Western Conference" greatness. Jazzfanzzzzzzz don't seem to realize that if you don't win the Title, you don't win JACK. That's something incredibly satisfying about seeing a game in the Delta Center: looking at their Western Conference Championship banners, and realizing that they'll never have anything more. Didn't y'all love the way that Stockton fell down three times in the first five minutes of the game, and didn't get the call on any of them? Justice can be sweet.

------------------
    Jazzkiller