1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are good - surprisingly good. Rockets defy expectations. How can continue to improve to be legit?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Dec 18, 2016.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

I haven't been able to watch as many games as I'd like to this year - what are some things we need to do to make us legitimate contenders?

goose likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Beat the legitimate contenders on the road.

Deuce, Ramo$e, hooroo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Honestly, I've thought about how we could improve our team through a trade and we really can't. Every player is doing his part. There isn't a better power forward out there that will do what Ryan Anderson is already doing as a stretch 4, or a PG like Bev or C like Capela or Gordon as 6th man. I mean obviously Deandre would be an upgrade over Capela or other players than the ones I named but I mean realistic targets or available players.

But right now thats a good problem to have. We just have to continue to improve within; further improve our chemistry and see more development from our youngsters Capela, Dekker and Trez.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

The youngsters need to improve on D for sure.

Zoplicone likes this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

- Penetrate better when 3pt shots are not falling. Looking at you Harden!
    - Continue to play great defense when key stops are needed
    - Play just enough defense until our offense to take over
    - Stop playing Brewer unless it comes down to him vs playing KJ, Brown, or Ennis
    - Possibly find a defensive stopper in the middle. Cap is just too easy to push around...

6. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

As I have said before, Morey has a really hard job to determine how to improve this team. Any potential move has to consider the current chemistry. The only pieces to reasonably trade, unless for a superstar, are Brewer, KJ, Ennis, Brown, Wiltjer, Onauku, overseas stashs and picks. That's not going to get you a superstar, but may get you an upgrade in a backup role player, or injury insurance also. Players like "maybe" Rudy Gay, Tyreke Evans, or any of the other good but not superstar players from the bottom teams.

Getting a superstar and moving out rotation players is where it gets tricky for Morey. Then Capela, Harrell, Bev and maybe even Ariza come into play. I don't see Morey moving of course Harden, Ego or Anderson...and probably not Bev with the way he is playing over the last 15 games or so, even though I wouldn't have said that before then. If a superstar trade happens, it will be out of the blue and probably someone we didn't expect Morey was going to be able to get.

If DMo would have been here, that would have also changed our trade targets drastically as well as the backup rotations. Maybe then Morey would have only made a very small trade, or not at all for the first time. But I do expect him to do something by the trade deadline if not very soon since a lot of players are now trade eligible.

Ramo$e and ramotadab like this.
  7. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

Things that jump to mind is rebounding and turnovers. We may be able to improve on rebounding with the personnel we have just like we're doing with our defense. Doing the work early such as proper positioning, second effort and boxing out.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Do we even play any real contenders over the next 20 games, though?

#8 J Sizzle, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    hakeem94 likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We need a taller CENTER - preferably a Mehmet Okur type with a 3pt shot and a lane clogger.

DD

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just beat other contenders i'd say. We only played three over 50% teams in these 10 games, the other seven were very bad teams so, while a 10 W streak is always great, if you look at the teams we played eh, it's not that impressive. Extend the streak with a win against the Spurs Tuesday though...that would be a very solid statement imo.

11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Raptors. Grizzles will probably give us trouble too. We are really bad against steams with skilled bigs that can post up.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Beat playoff teams

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Like who

14. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

There really isn't anything they can do at this point. Morey needs to be in a wait and see frame of mind. We really don't know how this team will perform later in the season as the grind of the schedule starts taking its toll, let alone how they will play in the playoffs. No trades need to be made until the offseason, after we see how this team performs.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

To improve, we should try to get Lull to come over. That's the only thing I can think of. Also, we should sign Ryan Anderson and see if he can get his buddy Eric Gordon to come with him.

hakeem94, ramotadab, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  16. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

na dude, I like capela the way he is, he's there waiting for harden pass and dont have to worry about standing at the 3s. This is why the rockets are deadly, they can score at any location. If you get a center that just camp at the 3s this team will suck.

Ramo$e and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

It's easy to just look at the schedule and say "we should beat that team", but on any day, any of these teams can take down a contending team. Just look at the Clippers lose to the Wizards. The Pelicans gave the Warriors a fight just a few days ago. Winning 10 games in a row, no matter the opponent, is incredibly impressive.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Ibaka, Cousins, Embiid, and Lopez (will lose all rebounds though) come to mind. All of them can step out and hit the three. Out of all those though, I rather have Ibaka or Embiid.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I just thought about something... we're in the running for every major award I think

Most Improved - Dekker
    MVP - Harden
    Defensive MVP - okay not that one unless Beverly gets his nose in there
    6th Man - Splash Gordon looks like a lock right now
    GM - Daryl has a chance with the 2 smart offseason signings and getting a coach in here that improves the team (All Les moves but whatever)
    Rookie of the Year - Wiltjer is a lock to not even be discussed in this competition

Point is, we're playing really well. As an entire organization.

All that going full boat stuff is starting to make sense these days.

[​IMG]

20. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Also needs to have ball handling skills along with elite court vision..

Ah don't forget he also has to shoot 95% from free throw

hakeem94 and T for 3 like this.