1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"We are a better team than last year," says the Tillman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

By the time the playoffs roll, nobody will want to play against the Rockets, including the Worriers. As you stated, things are still progressing, so I trust Morey will improve the team throughout the regular season.

D-rock and mockster like this.
  2. smp

smp Member

To be better than last year only means one thing - win the championship. Everything is only through the lense of the playoffs. I dont care about regular season awards or records. Those things dont mean we have improved or regressed. For example, if we win 60 games, Harden doesnt get MVP, but we win a championship, that means we improved. If we win 72 games, Harden gets MVP, CP3 and Melo are all stars, but we lose to GS again that doesnt mean we got better. Things we need to happen in the playoffs in order of importance:

Keep CP3 healthy
    Better production from Harden
    Better production from LMM/Ariza position by way of Melo
    Better production from Ryno via trade
    Better offensive production from Capela

That's what we need in order to get better. It's definitely possible but I think this is our last realistic shot at it for the next 3 years. We will have to reload after this year.

That's my take on the upcoming season anyway.

solodolo11 and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

When Morey says the Rockets are better than last year is when I'll believe it. He hasn't said it yet.

HP3, LUK3 and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I hope he hasn't said it yet because he's not done. #NewMath #Sleeves #ManofDeal

LUK3, hakeem94, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Fair enough. I honestly just take some of the context clues and the fact that we went all out to sign Melo 3 times that the FO highly valued his skill set.

DreamShook likes this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Because adding melo and Ennis doesn't make up for the loss of Luc and Ariza. at the very least we are worse defensively.

HP3 likes this.
  7. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

Agree, especially with the 3 year window. The rockets made a decision to compete with GS instead of tank and wait for their era to end. We have taken risks and we have improved year after year. Melo is just another risk they are willing to take and hopefully it pays off. Kudos to the Rockets org for maintaining flexibility as much as possible, taking risks, and choosing to compete.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I beg to differ. Luc gave u absolutely nothing in the playoffs so if ennis can jist dunk the ball without busting his shoulder he is better

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

A lineup of Capela, Melo, Harden, Gordon and Paul is just bananas... nobody is stopping that offensive attack. I don't give a F what the naysayers say.

hakeem94, Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Underrating Moute big time, he's one of the best wing defenders in the league. He was coming off an injury in the playoffs, he clearly wasn't his self. He showed clearly he was a defensive monster during the season AND hit 3's a respectable enough clip and %.

I like Ennis, but he's just a neutral defender, he is in no way the defender either Moute or Ariza were for us.

Melo... is similar to Gerald Green at this stage of his career. He has to be hot offensively to deserve playing time, or else he will be a big net negative due to his defense. I'm not saying Melo is the same as Green, prime Melo was a very consistent offensive star player, but now towards the end of his career, his defense is worse than ever, his offensive efficiency and consistency are dropping.

The only way for Houston to improve is through a combination of A. getting a good defensive piece for Anderson (M.Williams, J.Johnson, Bazemore)B. Melo/Ennis having great years. C. one of Melton/Hart/Qi developing into rotation guys.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not saying Morey doesn't think the Rockets are good with Melo. Morey doesn't say stuff like "We are a better team than last year." with the the frivolity of Tilman.

I remember when Morey said the Rockets were going to be a good team after he was burned by Bosh and Parsons. Clutchfans and the media laughed him; the Rockets went on to the WCF. Morey said last year was the best team he ever assembled. Clutchfans and the media laughed at him; Rockets were one hammy, away from a championship.

Morey hasn't said Rockets are better than last year (yet), Rockets won 65 games last season, but that doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't think the Rockets can't win a chip despite that.

I'm just waiting for Morey's assessment of the team.

hakeem94, D-rock and Nook like this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Does it matter if we are better or not? I mean the Warriors are Way better, so even if we are just barely better or slightly worse, outcomes the same.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

We might be a better team...let's see what Melo, Ennis and MCW bring to the table...

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

70 win team. Book it.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We are not better.

AND Melo has never been a team player and has never done everything it takes to win. Tillman is a dope if he thinks their conversation outweighs Melo's entire pro career.

Zboy likes this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Just feed him at your restaurant instead. That's all he good for now.

BTW, never played with real guards? Total diss at Billups and Airemy Lin.

17. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

I can't wait to bring up some of your responses at the end of the season

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad we got a real Houstonian an owner

BamBam and hakeem94 like this.
  19. bj3175

bj3175 Member

We have loss some of our defensive continuity but the combination of Ennis Melo Green Melton and yes MCW when you got CP3 and James Harden dissecting teams defenses will be a killer. Not to mention EG these guys are going to be killing people. The first order of business is to establish a style of play Offensively and defensively that will suit this team. They are a better squad than last year

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the better looks on offense you get the more shots you hit the less defense you need

ApacheWarrior, bj3175 and ryano2009 like this.