1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We ain't got enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 4, 2018.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yeah, if we only had Anthony Randolph, Nerlens, or Jason Smith. SMH.

It's one game. Double Durant and rotate off Draymond. Make him a jump shooter.

2. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Wtf is enough? Who the f×ck is enough? You can add Lebron to the Rockets or AD it doesn't magically give us better shooters than the 3 best shooters in the nba on one g0ddamn team...

3. Soneca

Soneca Member

Yeah, but every great defender arguably have that allowances. Garnett, Rodman, heck even Jordan and Pippen would get away with cheap shots. However, I wouldn't say he becomes mediocre. His positioning, his helping ability, we shouldn't be blinded by his dirty game. He is a great defender, unfortunately. I hate him though, really hate him, and hope we can somehow beat his ass down.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  4. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

I saw Luc play perfect defense on Durant and Durant splashed it on him..

HakeemOnlyFan, topfive and amaru like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Jesus it was one game.......

6. noppeper

noppeper Member

So all the defensive lapses by our role players, blown layups by pretty much everyone, Ariza picking up silly fouls, our coach looking like deer in the headlights and demoralized in the side line, the WHOLE Warriors team packing the paint and leaving PJ, LMM, and even Ryno (during his brief) appearance open, and yet, it is Capela's, erm "the bigs" fault?!?

Capela (and to a lesser extent, Nene) was one of the few silver linings I took from the game. He played with grit and never backed off. You never saw him intimidated, and on the contrary, you had GS being intimidated of going in the paint (he even forced Durant to miss a layup just by his sheer aura).

On offense, yes, Draymond can hover in the paint because of Capela, but this is as much due to Rockets iso scheme and lack of ball movement as anything. But you also have to give credit to Draymond, as he is one of the few that can stick to Capela while still being fast enough, and having good reflexes and anticipation to cover the penetration. But even if he was pulled into a Ryno in the corner, he is fast and crafty enough to still alter perimeter shots. So yes, he is a special talent. But you know what? So is Capela, and Clint keeps showing it every game. If he was not there, Harden would not dare go into the paint against Draymond. We've seen it in the past before the coming out of the lob threat, so we know it's true.

On defense, Clint can't guard Durant, while manning the paint, while staying in front of Curry, while also not forgetting where Klay is. It has to be a team effort. Clint did his job, the rest of the team needs to follow suit, and even then, they are facing difficult odds against one of the most talented and balanced teams ever assembled.

D-rock, BigMaloe, Richie_Rich and 6 others like this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well said. That's my takeaway as well.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean they had some dumb turnovers sure, mainly Harden with his 4.

But bear in mind, Harden feels like he has to do so much because no one else can do anything... which is partly because the GSW player amazing defense, which is mainly because of DG.

And yes, DG isn't guy #1 to stop for GSW, but he still put up his usually 9 assists, and its not like they are all easy just pass to the open HOF type. He had a beauty of a pass to a cutter in the second half. He makes the right passes to the right open GSW almost every time - like the quick pass back to Klay for the three in the 4th. He sets solid picks. He fuels up his teammates.

And he disrupts the Harden-Capela PnR, which is in many ways the engine of this offense, which has ripple effects to the rest of the role players playing like crap.

In short, he was +19 last night. His +/- is almost ALWAYS as good/better then the teams as a whole. It's been that way every win of theirs in the playoffs except for one. KD was amazing. His +/- was 11, so less than the final margin.

If I could attack the GSW only one way, it would be any way which gets DG out of the game. They're worse offensively and defensively with him out of the game.

But... to your point, that won't happen. So... sure... tighten up the defense. Which is way harder than it sounds. Because it "sounds" "relatively" simple. Make Iggy or Draymond himself the scorers. And sure, role players need to f'ing step up.

9. JayZ750

This is just team fandom speaking.

CLEARLY, Draymond gets away with some allowances... principally in how he jaws with referees. But consider we really don't know what the f he's saying. He gets t'd up a fair amount, but he jaws with the refs a lot and doesn't get t'd up. Unless there is some kind of grand conspiracy to let Draymond Green of all players talk **** to the refs with little consequences, I can only assume he's being animated and loud, but not saying anything overtly offensive or anything... for the most part.

And as much as he gets away with ALLOWANCES on the court, be it hard screens, short grabs or whatever, EVERY team gets away with their own allowances. That wasn't a foul on Draymond on his hard pick on Ariza. CP3 DOES run into other players all the time. Harden does initiate and sell a ton of contact - even if its legit contact.

95%+ of Draymond's impact defensively is because he's just really really really good defensively. Amazingly good. And he's got a tight dribble, a competent enough scoring game when needed and his bball IQ is off the charts.

I mean... heck yeah, I hate that guy!! Lol. And you put him on the Suns and his impact is way way muted. But he's not on the Suns.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You put him on the suns . . . .and he does not get those allowances. . .. and he is not even mentioned as a DPOY
    That is a fact

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  11. JayZ750

Is he DPOY? Maybe not. Does he make a huge impact defensively? Absolutely. Does he still get a ton of "allowances". Sure.

There is NO CONSPIRACY to turn Draymond Green into an all time great NBA player and defender "just because". There was no conspiracy 4 years ago to turn GSW into an all time, all time great team. NBA executives didn't get together and say "hmmm... how about the Warriors, big market, let's make them good. And that guy Draymond... give him some leniency".

He's just a great defender. He does all the little things well.

And to the extent he gets away with some stuff defensively, it's basically exactly the same as the Rockets star players getting away with some stuff. It happens.

HakeemOnlyFan, BigMaloe and durvasa like this.
  12. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Spewing negativity all over the board and self-congratulating his almighty powers of basketball soothsaying isn't enough for OP. No, he has to quote himself in a five-month old thread HE authored, to necrobump it to the front page of the GARM.

Sure hope Mr. Holic doesn't dislocate his shoulder patting himself on the back -- I'd hate to see his performance fall off like Luc's has.

HakeemOnlyFan, D-rock, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  13. basketballholic

non-factor

14. illwil29

illwil29 Member

Only if we had a prime KG to put the clamps on Durant.

15. basketballholic

That would work. Need a super long athletic defender that knows how to defend.

This is precisely why I said we should have been developing Qi and giving him minutes. He has the body type, length, speed, quicks, and moxy to be a defensive difference-maker........specifically on Durant.

If we go down 0-2, I see no reason not to give him a baptism by fire in game 3 and see what he does.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Jeebus. Thank GOD you're not the coach.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought you were concerned about our half court D? That was an early offense layup before they got into their set. Clint stuck too close to his man on the perimeter and Curry took advantage of Harden’s inability to contain the dribble.

Video of all GSW FG attempts within 8 ft:

http://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=3...0&section=game&sct=plot&CF=SHOT_DISTANCE*LE*8

Clint was fine. His defense wasn’t the problem in game 1.

HakeemOnlyFan and BigMaloe like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I like drafting such a guy. I am not all hate. This is the undersized guy everyone needs.

No more 2pat, Mook or Royce White.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D

20. fattz

fattz Member

The players you named were late lottery picks. Where we are drafting now we are better of just trading our first round picks because they are really just high second round picks with a guaranteed contract. We would should just draft in the second round by buying picks and let DM do what he he does.