1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WCF - Go Back to Original Lineup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bro2044, May 22, 2015.

1. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I'm not saying TJ is playing great bball, in fact his butterfingers and inconsistency are maddening, but the Josh Smith thing that worked against LAC - that was good - is not working the same way.

The man can't take 7-8 first quarter shots (making...maybe 2?), ball hog it up on the road, while not only not passing but while HARDEN is on the court.

Then TJ came in and made a couple baskets right off and I'm like UGH why can't you guys just figure out what you are positively and work that way in ANY kind of consistency!

I love what Smith did against LAC in 6 and 7, but I think you go with what got you here to start, and then adapt if you need.

Howard/Capela
    TJones/Smith
    Ariza/Brewer
    Harden/Terry
    Terry/Prig

We barely lost these two games, just barely... and on the road... but dear god if Smith and Prig didn't ruin it for us early on. Those 3 Curry "runaways" that happened in the first, and then Smith going all bonehead had us fighting uphill long before it needed to be that way.

I dunno, maybe then headband of brothers can make another appearance, because in G2 they were all invisible.

2. ibm

ibm Member

maybe let capela start? idk. sometimes i feel tj and js both better play from the bench.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I wondered why we didn't go back to the original lineup when this series started. I chalked it up to trying to maintain our success and Josh's confidence.

I can't imagine what it would do to his confidence if he gets sent to the bench following two losses

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't know if the lineup needs to change, but Josh Smith can't shoot you out of the game in the first quarter. Good grief that was ridiculous.

It's a testament to this team that they fought back after getting down, but if Josh Smith hadn't gone 2 for 13 or something like that in the first half it wouldn't have required such an effort.

McHale gives Smith way too much leash. Prigioni blows a defensive assignment and he gets yanked for a rookie. Smith shoots under 20%, blows defensive assignments, turns the ball over, refuses to give the ball up when he's coming up court and you do nothing?

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We would have won both of those games if they were home games. Built on what you have and correct a few things. I would not change anything much and risk losing our rhythm. Roll with it, but have a shorter leash on bone headed plays.

Now if Smith, like he did in the regular season, came to McHale and said, put me on the bench, you'll do it.

I personally think we need Smith against Green. It's a better match-up then Jones against Green. Jones against their 2nd unit allow Jones to do his thing. Jones against Smith is a lost Jones.

6. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Did someone mention Butterfingers?

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I like the energy Jones brings off the bench. I think he should continue to come of the bench...and in the 4th go with the forward that is playing better: Jones or Smith....

8. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I just want McHale to keep him out like in this game when he stinks it up. You cannot just go back now, Josh should be able to take Green, TJ simply can't. Josh is stronger, bigger and has more ways to punish Green.