1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WC First Round] (1)Golden State vs. (8)LA Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 10, 2019.

?

(1)Golden State vs. (8)LA Clippers

Poll closed Apr 13, 2019.
  1. Warriors in 4

37.0%
  2. Warriors in 5

31.5%
  3. Warriors in 6

9.6%
  4. Warriors in 7

2.7%
  5. Clippers in 7

8.2%
  6. Clippers in 6

2.7%
  7. Clippers in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Clippers in 4

8.2%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's on them sounds better than It's on Me.

2. SemisolidSnake

Just speculating because I didn't see the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is that successful teams with well-established styles of play can be thrown for a loop by younger, more energetic, less predictable teams.

We saw it happen with the Rockets multiple times this year. Teams that, on paper, should have been steamrolled by even an injured Rockets team just completely flummoxed them and sometimes pulled off stunning upsets. If the Rockets or Warriors get to play the game the way they want to play it, they're probably going to win. But throw in some young underdogs with a lot of heart and nothing to lose, and that's enough to throw more methodical teams into chaos. Energy and unpredictability aren't long-term success strategies on their own, but they can be surprisingly devastating in the short term, especially against opponents with poor adaptability.

Again, this is me just speculating and projecting based on this phenomenon that I saw many times with the Rockets this year.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This thread has nearly doubled in length over game 5. LOL.
    I don't think anyone would have predicted it would hit 87 pages, and it will probably go 100 if game 6 is exciting.

ROXTXIA, BigShasta and RyanB like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That makes sense. It's just weird when you look at GSW box score. KD was awesome, Steph and Klay were good. Yet somehow they lost (in the playoffs) to Bev, Lou, and Trez. That shouldn't happen.

If I had to guess, I'd say that they also had the attitude of "we should win" and when KD got rolling they just expected it to happen. When LAC didn't just roll over and accept their beating, it threw GSW a bit.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

6. JW86

JW86 Member

How does Klay’s attitude not catch more flack? What a loser! I respect KD more than him in this series, seriously.

BigShasta and Deckard like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

their defense also isn't what it used to be either. It's not just for the playoffs either. that's been true for the entire season. a lot of teams have adjusted and implemented in their own right to how the rockets exploit them.

BaselineFade, B-Bob and RyanB like this.
  8. SemisolidSnake

Oh, I don't doubt that as well. That plus what I said all contributes to "inevitability of winning" syndrome. Every team is still an NBA team. In fact right now, every team is at least one of the top 8 teams in either conference. In fact, the Clippers are the 8th best team in the Western Conference, the hard conference.

The Phoenix Suns had the second worst record in the league this year (19-63), but here's a list of eventual playoff teams they beat with their seedings listed:
    Spurs (7W), Bucks...TWICE, home and away (1E, best in league), Celtics (4E), Magic (7E), Nuggets (2W), and finally Warriors at Oracle (1W). And they came close to beating the Rockets 2/3 times.

Champions treat every opponent with respect.

RyanB and daywalker02 like this.
  9. MystikArkitect

We’re officially in the “Are the Clippers a tougher test than the Rockets?” timeline.

Also is Lillard a top 5 player after getting past the first round?

If there’s one thing we’ve gone backwards on, it’s responsible journalism. Clicks drive everything and nothing gets you clicks like crazy hot takes.

Also when all else fails...slander Harden.

beardsanity713, jcf, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Count me in as one of the idiots that went to bed after the Rockets (and Astros) and almost fainted when I saw the score this morning on my phone....

Never would have predicted this.

hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I stayed up for it, but there’s a price to be paid, and I’m paying it now. ;-)

DaDakota, ROXTXIA and BigShasta like this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clippers played with all heart and the arrogant Warriors didn't. Loving this defeat on their home court.

RyanB and hakeem94 like this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I watched the second half. It was a FT parade for KD, Curry and Thompson did their thing, but Harrell destroyed them on monster dunks over and over and the Clippers were poised and attacked and hit their shots.

I think points in the paint and bench points were the big factors for LAC.

RyanB likes this.
  14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Ditto. Can confirm, have fallen asleep on 3 conference calls today.

Deckard likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Guess I’m luckier than you. I’ve been retired for several years now. I can’t take naps, though, and the older i get, the earlier I seem to wake up. So I’m hurtin’ regardless. Still worth it. ;-)

hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  16. Mr. Space City

Warriors have no Rim protection!

Bogut is washed!

Harden gonna feast without Gobert shutting down the paint!

MiddleMan, Hakeemtheking and RyanB like this.
  17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, I stayed up too despite having to wake up around 5:20 this morning. I just got a power nap at lunch, but I'm still exhausted. And I've got tickets to Endgame tonight at 6, so I'll be in a darkened theater for nearly 3 1/2 hours. Although reportedly there are no post-credits scenes, so that should shave off an extra 10 minutes that I'd otherwise have to sit through.

Deckard likes this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dude. I have a cold and should have gone to bed by the time Fallon started, but when I saw the score of this game I had to tune in.

In a way I'm lucky because I could drag ass a little later in to work (but not much). Any time the Dubs lose in the playoffs it is a reason for rejoicing. All those douchy GSW fans and bandwagoners......(Otto from "A Fish Called Wanda": "Dis-ap-POINT-ed!!!!")

Deckard and hakeem94 like this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

YASSS! Get ready for the posters, Andrew, if you even get past the Clips. LOL.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

To be fair, refs also helped a bit. Foul on Iggy when the ball bounced off of Lou's leg was a backbreaker. Another foul called on Iggy when he didn't even touch Lou while he was shooting. Clips might not win without Marc Davis, but as I said on twitter, it's karma for all the opponents' injuries and moving screens Warriors' championships are based off of.