1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Tom Savage 'not going to let anyone' take starting gig

"My mindset is that this is my team. And I'm not going to let anyone take it," Savage told ESPN's Sarah Barshop.

"Now, I can't control what happens. I can only control what I can do. And I said it before. It's a pretty simple equation I think a lot of people overthink, especially in this league. If you go there and you win and you play well, they can't pull you. And if you go out there and you lose and the offense doesn't look good, they can pull you. So the goal is to go out there and play well and win games. And that's all you can really control."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...age-not-going-to-let-anyone-take-starting-gig

Its kind of arrogant of savage. Its not his team. He isn't a franchise QB.

A team doesn't spend 2 1st round picks on a player if they don't expect for him to eventually be the starter.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

What else do you expect Savage to say? That he is just a place warmer until Watson gets up to speed?

I like the confidence. Should make both Watson and him better in the long run. May the best man win.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Doesn't seem at all arrogant to me. He's QB1 at the moment and doesn't want to lose his spot. What else is he supposed to say?

More so looks to me like he see's the writing on the wall and isn't going to go down without a fight. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#144 zeeshan2, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    macho GRANDE likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Was that it? They hyped up this roundtable discussion and all it amounted to was that?

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

It's a live discussion so it's still going. Here's Stephanie's response:

7. StevieCrossover

I want to see savage start 1st half, and have Watson 2nd half. Win win

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Fixed

StevieCrossover likes this.
  9. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think he's being arrogant. He said it's his "mindset." I want all our QB's to be confident in their ability to be the starting QB. I don't want Savage to just roll over and give the starting job to a rookie. Savage has been here longer than any of the other QB's, and BOB has him working with the first team. Is he really supposed to throw in the towel and accept being the backup? I hope not.

donkeypunch likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Braddock's response in that roundtable:

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No offense but Steph could have saved her analysis. OTA/minicamp Deshaun Watson compared to going on preseason game #2/training camp Deshaun Watson are most likely two completely different players based on his advancement in knowledge from then to now.

Tom Savage would most likely be pretty level besides possibly knocking off rust in terms of development, but she really could have kept her input at home.

The other two guys (Starr/Meltser) were basically reiterating what we've heard on the Jonathan Harris rundowns.

12. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Edit, duplicate post

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Truthfully neither is likely to be very good.

First year starters rarely are, especially behind a bad OL

Cstyle42 likes this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Here's what Savage did to earn the #1.

1) Brock got traded
    2) Romo retired
    3) Texans drafted a rookie

Basically he's done nothing to earn the #1 and it's not his team. I somewhat admire the self belief but it's a bit cringy. Nothing wrong with accepting your fate as a journeyman level backup QB.

Fulgore likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, this is flawed, since he was competing and won the #1 job midseason from brock before any of that happened. He lost it cause he got injured.

Im still in the boat of having him start the season and as of right now it is by de facto, 'his team'. Hes got more knowledge in it and more experience in the NFL. I will however say that his leash is extremely short and I am becoming very warm to that fact, because of the poise that Watson has shown. So many of yall are such fan boys that it seems to blind yall on whats best for the team. Jayson Braddock has some very good points as to why Savage is the best option at QB overall to start and succeed. Watsons time will come.

16. ipaman

spin it all you want but the fact is the 3 reasons I listed are why he's #1 right now. he didn't earn it from things he did last year or we wouldn't have gone after romo and draft watson. all the facts show that he was given the #1 by default and yet he's acting like he "won" the job and it's "his" team. give me a break. he's good enough to start the season but not good enough to hold off watson imo.

just for the record, i also want him to start the season and put up or shut up. that said, i'm not very confident that he'll get out of the preseason healthy and if he does i'm not very confident he'll stay healthy very long. i don't wish him injury at all but he's a statue and he holds the ball too long so it's on him if he does get hurt.

FLASH21 likes this.
  17. donkeypunch

So, the fact that he actually did win and take over #1 status when crock was still here doesnt mean anything? Im not spinning anything, those are just facts. He probably wins #1 status the year before that with all the injuries as well. He has definitely put in his time and did earn this opportunity. Were there better options out there to start the season? Of course, but that one has a big ol vaj.

Billy O and ricky smits have come out and said that he is the starter before the and after the draft, so why wouldnt he come into the mindset of this is 'his team'. Any qb coming into to camp that has a possibility of starting should have the same logic of thinking, even if it is by de facto. What was he supposed to say? That hes gonna submit to a rookie. Every man has pride and should carry themselves with it. I dont see any arrogance or cockiness with his statements.

18. ipaman

are you kidding me?!?! you think he won the job away from brock!?!? brock LOST that job with his horrible play and savage was the only option. he didn't WIN the job at all. i stand by what i said in my very first post. savage hasn't done anything to earn a starting qb job in the nfl. he has it for now by default and there is nothing wrong with admitting that.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stand by you earlier post all you want. It's still wrong and flawed. You don't like savage...we get it. But it's obvious that he has shown something during his tenure to get an opportunity otherwise he wouldn't be there.

20. donkeypunch

You dont think Bill wanted to start him with the **** he saw with brock everyday? You dont lose the starting qb position to anybody if that option isnt a better option. If it wasnt for that awful contract given out to him, savage would have been playing in more real live games cause he did EARN that job. He wins it by being the shortest midget but he was still the better qb on the teams roster. I dont get how you define the word earn? By definition earn is to obtain in return for labor or services. He earned it by putting in the labor everyday in practice to show that he was a better option than brock and now with the labor put in has the experience to start the season. Flawed logic is flawed.