1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watching Rockets at Astros game

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Haymitch, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hi All,

I'm going to the Astros game this Sunday at 1pm. However if Utah wins tonight then the Rockets will have a game on Sunday at 2:30pm.

Do you think they will have the Rockets game on display anywhere in Minute Maid Park?

Also: is there free high speed WiFi at Minute Maid Park? I have a DirecTV Now subscription and could just have the game streaming on my phone if I have to.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They have free wifi at MMP. Not sure how well it will work for streaming video, though.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think the only place that game MIGHT be on would be in one of the bars in the club level.

4. Buck Turgidson

Major League Baseball's 75th Annual All-Star Game at Minute Maid Park was the first time the All-Star Game was played in a venue with Wi-Fi capabilities for fans. Now fans bringing their Wi-Fi compatible devices to the ballpark for Houston Astros games are able to surf the web when they purchase a four-hour time block for only $3.95 per game.

Fans who subscribe to TWC's Road Runner high-speed online service and bring their username and password will automatically receive a 15-minute, no obligation, free trial subscription at every Astros home game they attend this season. Speed Zone visitors do not have to be Road Runner subscribers to take advantage of Road Runner's fast, simple and secure Wi-Fi hotspot service.

Road Runner Speed Zone clients experience the same standard download and upload speeds as Road Runner high-speed online subscribers: 3Mbps down/ 384Kbps up.

In order to transform Minute Maid Park into a Road Runner Speed Zone, Time Warner Cable deployed nearly 100 wireless access points throughout the ballpark using equipment and support from Cisco Systems, Inc., Colubris Networks and NetNearU Corp.

Toll free Speed Zone technical support is available year-round, 24/7 at 1-866-75-SPEED (77333).

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/ballpark/wifi.jsp

Larry's Big Bamboo used to show other sporting events as well as the Stros game. No idea if any place does that now.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I saw that but that's from 2004. I doubt it's still current, and if it is the infrastructure from 2004 then I don't know if it can stream live video.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well we're in the cheap seats up high so no luck there.

7. Buck Turgidson

Ah, gotcha. Didn't look at the date, that's just what I got from google.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The wifi has improved a ton since 2004. And its free now. Still not sure if its live streaming capable. I don't think the Larry's big bamboo exists anymore.

Road Runner... man, what happened to that company?

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn. Sounds like I might be effed. I really hope OKC somehow wins tonight in Utah, but I don't think that will happen.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Is it for sure the Rockets would be at 2:30?

I actually bet the Cavs get the 2:30 game, regardless of whether its game 7 vs indy or game 1 vs Tor.

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

It’ll be on somewhere I would assume. I’ve been at rockets games and watched the Texans/Astros play before. They know it’s a big game for the city.

12. Buck Turgidson

Nah, Larry's is gone, I was just saying that they have shown other sports there in the past.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's what they said on Twitter

tmoney1101 likes this.
  14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

More importantly.....how does Ryan Anderson make the cut, and not Capela?! Who's running things over at TC?!? :eek::eek::eek:

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I was at an Astros game last year when the Rockets were playing the Spurs in game 5 that went down to the final shot. The stream on my phone was great, I assume I was signed into their WiFi. The game was being shown on the TVs around the center field bars. I remember there being a delay on the stream vs. the TV. I was on the opposite side of the stadium but you could hear the roar of the fans late in the game when the Rockets hit a 3. When the Rockets had the last possession we knew they didn't score since there was no roar...10 seconds later our group saw it on our streams.

16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

This was me on opening night vs @swyyyguy ’s mavs.

It was the same night as astros/yankees game 7 so in between quarters id be goin to the halls to check out the astros game on tv.

I walked up literally right as gattis hit the homerun to make it 1-0

17. jsdub525

jsdub525 Member

They totally redid the WiFi before last year. It’s fast, even on the upper level!

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll give it a shot. As a backup plan I signed up for a free 7 day trial of YouTube TV. It has a DVR feature (DTVNow does not). So I'll just try to avoid the updates (probably not possible) and record it.