1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watching League Pass with VPN (Need help)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DavidRocket, Oct 8, 2013.

1. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I know there was a thread a while back that discussed using a VPN whilst watching League Pass online.

It's been a while since I've seen that thread. Would someone please explain to me how to watch League Pass (Rockets games mainly) via VPN?

I remember something about turning on the VPN first and then loading League Pass blah blah? I've never streamed League Pass before and if I do purchase it before the beginning of the season, I would like to be sure that I can watch Rockets games via VPN.

Please explain the process again. Thanks!

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Are you in Australia or Houston? I can't remember.

3. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I'm in Houston. I have dish network and read about a way to watch league pass online via VPN. Do you know the process.

4. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, you turn on VPN, log in on LP, then you can turn off VPN.

5. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

1 person likes this.
  6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Turn on your VPN service (Verify it changes your external IP address. You can just google the term "what is my ip" and Google should tell you. Make sure it's different after you connect to the VPN). After you've done that, just clear your cookies. I personally use ccleaner to do that for me.

After that, sign into nba league pass broadband and houston games shouldn't be blacked out.

If you don't have a VPN service, just sign up for something like http://privateinternetaccess.com , that's what I and other CF.net members use.
    It downloads as a program and you just select the location you want to pretend to be from. Just choose something far away from Houston.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

So VPN will allow you to log into a network that is not your home network. So, if you VPN into something, it would have to be a server outside of the Houston area. That VPN service will give you an IP address that says to League Pass that you are elsewhere and then you have access. VPN is slow compared to being on a home network, so I imagine the bypassing is done thru the login and actual game time video is streamed thru your local network.

Long story short, you will need someone running a server outside of the Rockets network area that has a VPN service. VPN requires a domain with a static IP address (I'm 95% sure), so it can't be a friend playing around with Windows server/Mac Server/Linux Server. They have to have a server where they are paying for a specific IP address, IIRC.

Do you work for a large company with offices around the country? A lot of big companies have a VPN service. Otherwise, Scionxa has a promising alternative.

8. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Can't you also just use a hotspot shield?

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Yes, corporate VPN tunnels usually do work that way.

However, for League Pass, a 3rd party consumer VPN service is best. Especially those that have applications where a user doesn't have to do any work like entering IP addresses and whatnot. Plus, I'm sure if someone did have access to a company VPN, streaming games all season long would probably be a no no lol.

10. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

as far as streaming League Pass Games, I use Clear Internet (wireless). It's decent but then again I've never tried it out on high quality streaming. What's the minimum requirement speed to have decent streaming?

I used to have ATT DSL (3.0 mb/s).....how would that fare with League Pass Streaming?

11. dvr4me

dvr4me Contributing Member

I installed Hotspot Shield on my computer and it messed my computer up. I downloaded it from their web site too. My virus protection warned me about page but I installed it anyway. I removed it and now I think I have spyware on my computer. Has anyone else had problems with Hotspot Shield?

12. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Try AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy to detect and get rid of most if not all of the spyware/malware.

That's always a good start.

13. dvr4me

14. dvr4me

I tried to download Spybot Search and Destroy and it said it couldn't download because the file was corrupt. My virus protection warned me against it too. Any other suggestions?

15. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

hmmm which virus protection do you use? and more importantly where are you downloading Spybot from? Some sites require you to use their download manager which could include "unwanted stuff".

You can also download Lavasoft AdAware for starters. That usually detects and removes a bunch of stuff that virus scans dont' pick up.

16. RedNickNY

RedNickNY Member

I bow down to all expats and international fans willing to do whatever it takes to get their NBA fix even if it means watching over a VPN connection. How many fps can you achieve? It must be worth it.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I used NBALP plus a VPN last season on a >= 3.0 mb/s DSL connection. It was definitely watchable, but not ideal.

18. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I'm local and am compelled to go this route because of the CSN Houston racket....

19. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Does League Pass online offer a "free" week trial before purchasing? I don't want to commit unless I'm sure it'd be worthwhile.

20. RedNickNY

RedNickNY Member

Well then, you have my condolences. Forgive my ignorance but would a slingbox set up in an area that isn't blacked out serve your needs?