1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Was this the greatest game 7 ever?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Jun 20, 2016.

?

Was this the greatest game 7 ever?

1. yes

65 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

To me the greatest ever Game 7.

And when you add in all the other stuff, it makes it a once in a lifetime game.

Best regular season team ever with the reigning MVP being up 3-1 with HCA against the best player of the current generation and definitely IMO a top 3 player in NBA history when all is said and done with a point to prove.......

The whole story, drama, saga leading up to the game will be tough to eclipse.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Or dribble dribble dribble trying to get free from Love on the perimeter. I LOLed when he did that because that crap cost Warriors any chance of getting back into the game.

Should have just attacked the rim for easy 2. Selfish player and makes some dumb ass decisions when he loses his confidence.

3. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Yes, and it's not even close.

And that block was the greatest play ever in NBA Finals history.

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

I found it to be a pretty boring game with a lot of sloppy play and jacking up stupid 3's. When you think of all 6 games before it being boring blow outs, you tend to feel more into it when it's finally a close game from start to finish. Someone has to pull up the history of game 7's in the finals. I'm pretty sure it's not the greatest game 7 ever though. IIRC There were several epic game 7's that went to overtime or ended in buzzer beaters.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Umm. Jordan game winner at the buzzer to win? Magic's sweeping hook to win? The Jordan layup after 13 consecutive points. DR J's insane layup from under the basket?? Tons more.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I can see how the importance of the chase down block on Iggy could be considered greater than some of those plays just to be honest, mainly because it was late in the 4th quarter (2 mins left?) tied game, prevented GSW to take the lead, and ultimately shut all confidence down from GSW (they didn't score the last what, 6 mins?) and it's Game 7. If LeBron doesn't make that block, I could see GSW taking the momentum and winning the game from that layup.

7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

This.

But that's just my opinion :)

8. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Plus, I think everyone watching the game on TV or at the arena thought it was a sure 2 for the Warriors. LeBron came out of nowhere and everyone was like WTF :eek::eek::eek:

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Wait? So the importance of a chase down block with 2 minutes to go is higher than the importance of stealing the ball and going down and taking and making a game winning shot with the clock expiring to win the championship?

It was a monster block and play no doubt. Not the greatest single play in NBA finals history. But, i guess that's just our differing opinions.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't know if it was the greatest. But I LOVED the ending! And that counts for a lot.

It's funny, while there was only really 1 close game (the last one) the series as a whole had a lot of drama. It kept building up. And if you are like me, someone rooting against the Warriors, then the ending was quite satisfying.

12. BleedsRocketRed

No, 2nd Greatest game 7 ever.

;)

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

93-89

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I've never felt so miserable watching a game. It was only until the last minute (Kyrie's 3) when it dawned on me they might not blow it and I let myself think they might have a chance to win.

Considering all the storylines leading up to this, it seemed like the Cavs winning under these circumstances would be too good to be true. Who would believe after such a long draught Cleveland would win a title in such dramatic fashion?

But they did, and I'm thrilled so many people felt this was memorable too.

1 person likes this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Member

I just rewatched the game myself. Borrring. Ugly, ugly basketball. Just so damn sloppy on both sides. A bunch of dudes just jacking up ridiculous shot attempts all game long. Even the finale felt boring. Nothing epic or iconic. Partly from the announcers not doing enough to make it memorable. I love how Silver was trying to build it up "you have just witnessed one of the greatest games in the history of the NBA." Please...i've seen the first game of the season be more exciting than that.

The whole series was a bore. A lot of it also is just LeBron's style of play. He dominates statistically but is just one ugly basketball player from a purely aesthetic part of the game.

Oh well, that Thunder series was epic. Hopefully the Rockets can give me something to feel excited for in the coming years.

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

That was no where close to being the greatest game 7 in history. There was one basket scored the last 2:30 of the game total.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The great thing is beating 73-9 team against all odds, Vegas/NBA/Media etc etc. And then doing it coming back down 3-1 on an away game in the Finals as the first and only team to do it. Loved watching fans in disbelief.

One thing to take into account though... Is that until recently format was 2-3-2 (until 2014), but regardless pretty amazing. I'm just wondering if we'll see it happen again vs the sample size of 2-3-2 games that it didn't happen. Game got sloppy but I was happy with outcome, reminded me of Houston finally getting 1. Haha, but I'm biased, Rockets chips are best :)

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Because of 2-3-2 change and some other factors, no not the greatest. One of the most nailbiting, drama filled and tense endings? Hell yes!