1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Reddick's Contract Worth It?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CometsWin, Nov 7, 2019.

?

Was Reddick's contract worth it?

1. Yes, won a title

34 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. maybe, maybe no

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. No, easily replaced

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I was discussing this with some friends the other day. He signed for four years $52 in 2017. One year for $13m left on his deal.

2017 OPS .847
    2018 OPS .718
    2019 OPS .728

His playoff numbers in Houston were mostly awful. Was it worth it?

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Reddick has been a consummate professional since he’s been here.

He’s been an above average defender for his entire stint here, and his bat has been better than most would give him credit for. He’s been an above average, or average, hitter his entire stint in HOU. Plus, we don’t win the WS without him. Lets not forget his oppo game-winning or game-tying hit at BOS against Kimbrel in 2017 playoffs.

OPS is not the only stat to judge a player. He had over 4 WAR in 2017, 1.8 in 2018 and 1.2 in 2019. Slightly underwhelming if anything but definitely worth it IMO.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Easy to say no, but you also have to consider the market and replacement options. There really isn't anyone better who could have been taking that spot -- Tony Kemp is perhaps the most arguable and while he's a good contact hitter, his OPS numbers aren't much better and his fielding is far worse. It also hasn't hampered our ability to sign our own guys or others, though of course the Cole situation lingers.

Ian Desmond was also a FA at the time with an OPS of .721/.729/.789 that last 3 seasons. Received a comparable contract with one additional year. In Colorado no less.

Reddick was also an upgrade over Colby Rasmus.

awc713 and msn like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The name that came up was Ramon Laureano. 2017 may have been sketchy but he's outplayed Reddick since then.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Great question; difficult answer, and that's because 2017 is such a game-changer. Without a championship, I think the answer is pretty clearly no. But he was SO GOOD in 2017 *and* had a series clinching RBI - against Kimbrel! - in the ALDS that year, rendering almost anything after that season gravy. I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't win without him - but he was certainly a key contributor.

This year, his contract (and, to his credit, glove) kept a likely more productive player out of the everyday line-up. And he was flat-out awful in the postseason (though he had some terrific defensive moments). He wasn't very good last year, either - and was, again, flat-out awful in the ALCS.

I think it's going to come down to what they do with him this offseason. If they can unload him and *not* eat the rest of his contract... he was probably a break-even addition. But if they have to eat his full contract in '20 - and, worse, keep him on the roster - then I think that tilts the answer to no.

punkoholic likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He’s put up 5.5 fWAR in 3 seasons with 1 season (and $13M) remaining. Given 1 war costs $8M-12M on the free agent market, he’s been well worth it even without considering the ring he helped win.

Do I wish they’d have signed him for $39M/3yr instead? Sure. But his deal has been fine and if Tucker wasn’t around nobody would be calling for him to be traded. He’s still a very good defender who doesn’t strike out much and hits for enough power to keep pitchers honest. Plus he’s likeable. There are probably 20 teams who would love to have him hitting at the bottom of their order, and if he were a free agent he’d probably be looking at a 1 year deal between $6M and $10M. So he’s probably only underwater by about $5M.

I expect a rebuilding team to acquire him and put him in CF then try to sell him at the deadline.

awc713, msn and Joshfast like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This. He's easily been worth his contract even though Astros may currently be upside down on his contract compared to the league as a whole. Being on the Astros makes things look worse for him considering he's probably their worse bang for the buck player when every other significant contract has positive value when compared to other teams.

awc713 likes this.
  8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The Astros had a young group of talented players in 2017 and they wanted to bring in some veteran leadership in Beltran, McCann, and Reddick. They won the WS that year so it was definitely worth it. However, if they signed him to one year less on his contract it would have been a lot better.

punkoholic and CometsWin like this.
  9. HTown2017Champs

We never know what happens in 2017 if even the slightest difference occurs. I'll take the real life results 11 times out of 10, knowing we came away with a ring. You never know. After the go-ahead clutch hit off Kimbrel, he was never consistently productive, but the title alone makes him worth it IMO. But, definitely time to trade him this offseason. Of course, his contract is NOTHING compared to Desmond, let alone even bigger ones (like Chris Davis).

punkoholic likes this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, I think so. Of course now we’d probably all love to be out of it, but he’s been a major part of the team during some very good years.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

We have a 2017 ring. I don't butterfly effect us into losing 100.

12. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

At least on defense Ramon several times a year screws up a routine play, I assume to not concentrating, can't remember Reddick doing the same.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The correct answer is absolutely yes. You don’t change any roster move that led to the 2017 championship.

punkoholic and payaso like this.
  14. conquistador#11

I voted yes even with Beltran. If you change anything you will disrupt the space time continuum.

punkoholic likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

16. Buck Turgidson

Reddick out, Tucker in.

Just like they planned it.

eta: I'll always love Josh, just like McHugh/Peacock/Harris/Marwin/etc....