1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was McHale really that bad? or was he too savage?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ekiu, May 14, 2017.

1. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

For all the hate he recieved... McHale would have never gone out like that. He benched anyone who played lethargic, from Budinger, Lowry and Martin to Harden.

He would of have trust in Dekker, Montrez & had them ready to play just like he did with Bev, Parsons, Dmo

Most importantly he is the only coach we had in recent memory who trolled Popovich and was at least .500.

Sweep the leg!

McHale was too savage.
    [​IMG]

I actually only miss the Mchale interviews....Mike Dan Tony voice sucks

TheFreak likes this.
  2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

He had his moments, for sure. However, I don't think he and Morey were the right pairing, nor do I think McHale are Harden were the right pairing.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is a savage guy from Zephyria.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Say what you want, but gluing Frauden to the bench was one of the most ballsy in game coaching decisions I have ever seen,

cheke64, RESINator, fattz and 4 others like this.
  5. threepointshot3

Horrible coach. The only reason we won 56 wins in 2015 was Harden going into beast mode.His in game adjustments were just bad. Bad coach period.

topfive and OmegaSupreme like this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Which coach is the right pairing for Harden though? Right now it seems like McHale was too harsh and had to leave because of it, but his approach seemed to bring in better results than what D'Antoni is doing.

There's no point in having a happy Harden when it leads to pathetic performances like this game 6, I'd rather see the coach tearing him a new arsehole.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Mchale is an idiot.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

56 wins and Western Conference finals with a roster that was inferior to this years roster.

He wasn't soft on the players like some people think he was.

Never had a roster that matched the style of play that Morey insisted they play.

Surprised McHale and Harden were able to coexist as long as they did since McHale as a player played with great intensity and heart.

TheFreak likes this.
  9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

That roster wasn't inferior. Good Dwight played in 40 games that year as well as the playoffs. Josh Smith and Brewer were both good NBA rotational players at the time. Remember what broke Dallas in that first round series? It was the Smith-Howard double big pick and roll. Josh Smith gave Dwight like 10-15 alley-oops that series. We were a much more talented team than this year's group, and somehow everything went south the following year so we forget it.

And no McHale is not underrated. He was a doofus who had zero chance to even outcoach a Billy Donovan (or a Terry Stotts). We wasted Harden/Howard's best years on him.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I never said McHale was underrated. But, I don't think that roster was better than this years roster. Especially when you consider that team was poorly constructed to play Moreyball.

So, we disagree. Have a good day.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Are we wishing for Kevin McHale back as head coach? :eek::D

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Kevin McFail was turribol

A totally incompetent coach. He was just a "clap clap" "play harder" "i don't know what to do" "juice" and "sticky" coach

Vivi and RasaqBoi like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

McHale had his problems but Mike Dan Tony could not coach a guy like Howard at all. See the Lakers.

In fact he joined us because of Kobe and MDA.

Carl Herrera likes this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The team is doing fine with the coaching department. We can use Kevin McHale the Power Forward from 30 years ago, though.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm honestly not the biggest D'Antoni fan, but I will say that he exposed to the league how bad McHale really is as a coach and virtually made him unhireable to the NBA moving forward because they see what the Rockets looked like before and after. Switching from McHale to a normal competent NBA veteran coach made a world of difference.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Nooooooooo we ran 0 plays with McHale.

17. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

All our recent coaches have had their areas of expertise, McHale really taught our bigs a lot but wasn't the best at D or overall O.
    MDA has a great O strategy with 3s & layups & free throws, but he is too rigid, he should have a plan B for when 3s ain't working either because shots not falling or getting defended too well, he also has a defensive coach that is pretty good.
    JVG had great defense but I didn't see much scoring, he didn't care if we scored, just hold the other team to less than 80. Fairly successful but not very exiting to watch.
    Rick Adelman had the 22 game streak, it looked very promising with Tmac & Yao but that didn't turn out very well.
    Bickerstafff don't count.
    K Sampson filled in good when McHale's daughter got sick . I hope he can bring back the glory to the Cougars.
    I really miss Rudy T of the 90's.

18. anchel

anchel Member

Yes, he was that bad.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and remember that time when he benched all starters? however its not enough to do it just once

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This recent Clutchfans outrage has been fun, but the best part certainly has been the revisionist history formed by many.