1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was last night's game "the corner"? serious question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Did we turn the corner in last night's win over Golden State?

1. Just one game, brah, stay calm.

50 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. Yes, dammit, it's finally happened. The corner has been turned.

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. What corner?

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Nope, we're still running around in circles.

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. The correct answer is, "more Brewer"

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Media conspiracy.

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  7. James Harden is G.O.A.T.

16 vote(s)
    19.8%
  8. If DMo were playing we'd be invincible

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. I thought you said this was a "serious question"? liar.

14 vote(s)
    17.3%
  10. Two corners diverged in a yellow wood, and I, I turned the one less travelled by.

18 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well . . . I'm just wondering how people feel about it. We've had a lot of fun with the snarky and sarcastic "we just need to turn the corner" bit, but after last night's win over GSW I'm actually starting to believe this team (as currently constructed) may just be for real. Not yet we're-a-lock-for-the-WCF real, but up there higher in the final seedings than I originally expected.

maybe I'll add a poll to take the collective pulse

FTW Rockets FTW and Pen15clubber like this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was just one game we could have easily lost as much as we won it. Don't read too much into it.

This team has to show consistent effort on the defensive end and still stagnates terribly on offense at times. Until those things get more consistent I don't think we'll see a long winning streak.

jbasket and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't know if that was "the corner", but I do know that I had a lot of a fun. Good enough for me.

Pen15clubber and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

@Os Trigonum at it again... inconspicuous "I'm not being snarky this is a real thread" sarcastic thread...

Unlike.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. jogo

jogo Member

Well I don't know. GSW probably still beats us in a series.

But maybe not? We beat GSW playing their style of bball. I thought we'd go big and Capela would romp but that wasn't the case. We went pace and 3 pointers, led virtually the whole game, and beat them at their house. That's pretty good. Hmmm....I thought we shot great last night but only 31% on 3's. That gives me hope.

I think we need our defense to step up consistently. Our defense was really good last night, we need to see that be the norm. We have shown that we can win tough games when Harden has a poor FG%. That's important because teams will focus on him and are already doing so.

I think this win gives confidence and boosts chemistry and those are big for this team. We had none of that last year and hence the implosion. We look like a 4ish seed this year and that would be fine by me.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. Mr Chuck Norris

I don't understand people downplaying this. GSW only lost 3 games at home the past 2 seasons and came into this game on a 12 game winning streak. This win was huge.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It only was the "turn the corner" game if James Harden has now learned to trust his teammates.

Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon showed their balls last night.

8. CertifiedTroll

I thought we have looked pretty good all season. Live and die by the three as they say.

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Yes we have turned the corner down a long dusty road.
    Now we have to reach the top of the hill.

10. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Rockets played well.

Rockets have already played well this season. Turning the corner means they play well for weeks at a time, and avoid sloppy, undisciplined messes like the Jazz game or the Hawks game that have, thus far, come in close proximity to wins like the Spurs and Warriors that could have otherwise been signs of contention.

So I doubt it, but I'd love to be wrong.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure, but an exhausted team at altitude tonight in Denver may just turn it again, so basically we will be sitting at .500 in terms of corners turned in 24 hours.

Going to do my best to ensure my household is calm, regardless.

JVL713 and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Don't get the whole turn the corner thing. They are the fourth seed right now in the west. It would be shocking if they passed any of the three teams ahead of them. There is no corner to turn.

Good but not great team with a shaky defense any a strong offense.

The only way we are turning a corner and getting higher is by trade.

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i dunno about you guys but b2b turnover records is too much. not to mention his shot is back to normal inefficient chucking mode after his hot start. if dmo were here, and brewer was starting in place of harden, rockets would be better than jordan's bulls.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Felt like they had room to grow last night, we could have played better, however, this team is not that good. You can see the flaws. All anyone has to do is guard the three point line and we are done. Every starter outside of Harden is limited. While they are capable of exploding, which is no small thing, it won't be consistent. I still see them as .500 team. If they can sneak a 4-5 seed they could get to the second round but it will still be a chore. The team is just too guardable outside of Harden who is unguardable.

15. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

This game proved we can beat anyone in the league. It sets the bar high for this team and should be a boost to their confidence throughout the season.

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

While we could have played better (Shoot better than 32% from 3, 19 turnovers, bad fast break defense, too many missed layups, etc.), it was a game where some of the things that needed to happen for us to win took place.

Before the game, I said that for us to win we needed:
    - Harden for get 35/12/8 and he exceeded those numbers with 29/13/15
    - Gordon needed to get 25, got 23
    - Either Anderson or Ariza get at least 18, Anderson got 29 with Ariza chipping in 12
    - Hope Curry and Klay shoot under combined 35% from deep, they shot 27%

Curry in foul trouble then fouling out was a huge blessing. Also, Warriors bench unit sucks unlike previous years. They pretty much have to go iso-KD with that lineup. Warriors defense is not anywhere close to were it has been, especially in late situations.

But this was definitely a game to remember if things aren't going out way in future games. We beat a scoring hot Warriors in a playoff-like game on the road, not playing our best. We were able to get the stops needed and score when it was absolutely necessary.

Games like these in previous years would have saw us keep pace until the 4th with us getting totally outclassed from then on.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

love this from the game thread:

Jayzers_100, JVL713 and Cashmoney like this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hard to say.

Part of me thinks we hit a lot of shots we won't normally make and Warriors missed a lot they don't usually miss.

On the other hand we played hard the whole game and showed good chemistry which may be the more important thing

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's pretty simple. The difference between this year's team and last year's team is that we:

1. Actually have REAL 3 point shooters for once
    2. Have a coach who, if needed, can diagram an offensive play. McHale and JBB couldn't draw a square.

20. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I'm hesitant, because I thought we 'turned the corner' last year when we beat San Antonio on Christmas.

If nothing else, we've shown that we can hang with anyone on any given night. Consistency and health are they keys going forward. It's hard not to worry about Gordon and Anderson in particular in terms of injuries. If they're healthy when it counts, we can make some noise this year.