1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Blake Bortles worth a top 5 pick?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by what, Jan 2, 2016.

1. what

what Member

Just wondering what the board thinks about Bortles draft position realative to his worth 2 seasons in the books?

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's made huge strides in year 2. I'd say the Texans made a mistake not taking him #1. He needs to cut down on the INT's but that should come with experience. I believe Jacksonville is set to be a much better team going forward. They have pieces now. If they strengthen their OL, they will be more of a challenger on the AFC South next year.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Doesn't hurt that Bortles has Allen Hurns and Allen Robinson to throw to. Good-and-almost-great wide receivers can only help a young QB's game.

4. what

what Member

but was he worth a top 5 pick, in your estimation?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Takes about 3-5 years to determine a QB's true value.

You could just as easily ask if Matt Stafford was worth a top 5 pick, and he was drafted 8 years ago.

Bottles, Marriotta, and even Luck will all be judged based on what they do in their prime years... there are guys that stay on the bubble till they finally break through (Newton), then again there are guys that break through who seem to always be on the bubble (Eli Manning).

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's definitely better than I thought he would be. A lot better. In a re-draft Mack, Carr, Beckham and Donald all go before him without question. Then it comes down to need. I could see him going outside of the top 10 actually, depending on circumstance. A healthy Benjamin, Evans and Clowney would probably all have higher stock in general, but QB is important.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think so. He's a franchise QB who improved drastically in Year 2, so I'd say he was worth the Top 5 pick. Wish the Texans had him. He really needs to cut down the turnovers as his next step in development, but he has a chance to be very good, especially if the Jags upgrade their offensive line.

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Would I rather have him over Clowney? Absolutely.

9. what

what Member

I read a stat somewhere that said it took Tom Brady and Drew Brees 7 seasons to get to 35 TDs. Bortles has it in 2 seasons. That's freakin amazing.

And he may get closer to 40 than 30.

10. what

what Member

Carr, maybe. The other guys, very doubtful. The only way that happens is for need-based teams that already had a qb.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Those teams weren't playing from behind as much and rules are as passer-friendly as ever.

At the end of the day, throwing 35TD's, but your team being only 5-11, isn't really all that impressive.

12. thejav

thejav Member

Lol.. delusional texans homer..35tds in a 2nd season is very impressive..

13. Major

Major Member

Passer-friendly rules or not, he is 2nd in the league in TDs so far this year. And the only players with 35+ passing TDs in a season over the last 4 years are the Hall-of-Famer quartet (Peyton, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers) and 1 season by Luck. That's pretty impressive company.

They have the 2nd worst defense in football behind New Orleans. I'm not sure why that would affect how we view a QB.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So you don't think teams throw more when they are consistently behind?

He's been impressive... but he's getting a lot more recognition now more for his numbers than for his wins (a fantasy effect). I've also directly watch him lose games this year with his arm... making mistakes that just can't be made if that team ever wants to win consistently.

Passing numbers nowadays are vastly inflated.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure any Texans fan would be impressed with a 5-11 season, regardless of who was the QB.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Top 5? Looks like he should have been #1 pick. Turns the ball over a bunch but that will change. Reminds me of Luck

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Mack and Donald are arguably the best at their positions in only their 2nd seasons. I think Mack has higher redraft value as edge rushers are considered more important than defensive tackles.

However, there is definitely skewed value in finding even an above-average QB in the NFL these days. The bust rate on QBs is so high, and unless you have a stacked defense and a great run game to rely on, you've got to be able to move the ball.

While Bortles raw numbers are impressive on the surface, he has put up a lot of his numbers in garbage time this season, which means he hasn't been able to use his arm to keep his team in games early.

I still think Khalil Mack goes #1 to Houston if the draft was held over again today. He's been elite against the run since he stepped on the field, and this year he's elevated his pass rushing skills into elite territory there as well.

Mack on one side with Watt on the other would just be unfair. The Texans could have had one of the most dominant defensive lines in NFL history for the next decade, which was exactly what they were trying to accomplish by picking Clowney. Mack could turn out to be the most complete edge rusher the league has ever seen.

I could see it going like this:

Houston: Mack
    St Lous: Bortles
    Jacksonville: Carr
    Bills: Beckham Jr
    Oakland: Donald

18. thejav

thejav Member

The guy threw 35tds while playing for the jags..not the greatest franchise..thats impressive in its self..jags record can be attributed to more than just the qb..defence was pretty awful..doesnt matter if ur coming from behind or maintaining a lead..he will only get better..jags have their franchise qb..heck all of our division has their qb..except for you know who..smh..

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Bobby once said he'd rather have a really good quarterback and go 3-13 than have an average quarterback and make the playoffs.

Does that count?:grin:

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, he's been impressive... but at the same time, once (if) he learns how to protect the ball, and the team is in better position to play with leads or be ahead in games... its very likely that he won't be throwing the ball as much and accumulating those sort of stats.

Not saying he's the sole reason they're 5-11... just saying to use some context when judging the value of those numbers.

Again, what he does in years 3-5 will impress (or not impress) me more than what he's done in his infancy. At the very least, he's on a better track record than their last two first round QB's.