1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warren and Harris try to out left each other, back reparations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dachuda86, Feb 22, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

http://archive.is/qTTco

Archived link to the article. Idiot Fake Native American Warren and hypocrite Harris, who must have time traveled to smoke a J and listen to Tupac, are throwing a hail mary and trying to out left the other. Trump 2020 coming to a White House near you if the Dems can't get it together.

#1 dachuda86, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    BruceAndre and mick fry like this.
  2. mick fry

mick fry Member

That’ll work, I got more African American heritage than Warren has Native American. I want my reparations!

Cohete Rojo and MiddleMan like this.
  3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Pretty much anything that Democrats can come up with will be nothing when compared to what Trump is doing. Trump the greatest gift from the GOP to democrats.

MiddleMan likes this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They said that the first time he ran...

/spoiler]

luckystrikes likes this.
  5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I will not be surprised if Trump wins again, but I have high hope that the non 30% will wake up and kick the dear leader from the white house in 2020. We will just have to see.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm looking hard for a direct quotes from either regarding reparations, and I'm simply not finding one.

From the Times:

Last week, Senator Kamala Harris of California agreed with a radio host’s recent suggestion that government reparations for black Americans were necessary to address the legacies of slavery and discrimination. Ms. Harris later affirmed that support in a statement to The Times.
    “We have to be honest that people in this country do not start from the same place or have access to the same opportunities,” she said. “I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities.”
    sweeping universal child-care proposal that could strongly benefit minority communities that often have limited early childhood services.

So, AFAICT, Harris said she supported reparations during a radio interview, but we don't have a direct quote or recording. Not doubting it happened, but I want to see the context and the discussion in its entirety.

"Change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities" could mean many things, none of which may be reparations.

As far as Warren is concerned, the closest thing I see is her supporting a form of government home-buying assistance program for those impacted by Redlining.

That's not really reparations. Not saying I support it, but it isn't reparations.

This all seems quite misleading/dishonest to grab attention on the part of the publisher.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How do you know Trump's election was a pattern rather than an outlier?

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What I came to say. From the quotes mustered, you can perhaps call it an endorsement of a form of affirmative action. But, it's not "40 acres and a mule" kinda reparations. To be called reparations, it needs to be a direct transfer of wealth, imo. "Investments" yield returns. If someone has a quote with 'reparations' escaping Harris' lips, I'd like to see it.

Deckard likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there was apparently this exchange on a radio program last week:

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) said in an interview Monday she supports “some type of” reparations to black Americans for slavery. In an interview with the “Breakfast Club,” a radio show on New York City’s Power 105.1, host Charlamagne tha God asked Kamala Harris about reparations.

“Where do you stand on some form of reparations for black people? Here you see Mayor De Blasio saying the mar1juana economy could be a form of reparations. Marianne Williamson says black people should get a hundred billion in slave reparations–like, where do you stand on it?” Charlamagne asked.

Harris responded:

"Well look, I think that we have got to address that again, it’s back to the inequities. There, through–look, America has a history of 200 years of slavery. We had Jim Crow. We had legal segregation in America for a very long time. The Voting Rights Act was only strong for 50 years and then they wiped it out with this United States Supreme Court in the Shelby decision, to the point that 22 states immediately thereafter put in place laws that one court found were crafted with surgical precision to have black people not be able to vote.

"So we’ve got to recognize, back to that earlier point, people aren’t starting out on the same base, in terms of their ability to succeed and so we have got to recognize that and give people a lift up. And, there are a number of ways to do it. Part of my initiative again around the ‘Lift Act’ is that same point–you lifting people up who are making less than a hundred thousand dollars a year. What I want to do about rent is the same thing. What we need to do around education and understanding disparities, what we need to do around HBCUs. But we have a history of racism in America."

Charlamagne asked again, “So you are for some type of reparations?”

“Yes I am, yes I am,” Harris responded.​

http://thejacksonpress.org/?p=92868

DonnyMost and JuanValdez like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If Kamala runs with this notion, she will win.

That's the real color issue in today's America.

Not black, not white, green.

Aaaaaaaaaand fail.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Programs like Affirmative Action are much different than Reparations. That said whomever announces this as part of the of their policy will take a hard L immediately. Can't even go there for obvious reasons, less obvious reason, the ultimate reparation is leaving the country and given it back to Native Americans.

12. JuanValdez

Thanks. The "Yes I am" will probably haunt her (though the story doesn't seem to have really caught fire). But the policies she seems to be advocating are not reparations. It reads to me like she was trying to execute a pivot to use a question about reparations to talk about her LIFT Act (which is just a middle-class tax cut, for goodness sakes!), but then didn't want to quibble when pressed about reparations. I swear these Democrats can't get out of their own way. Let's see the policies she mentions: a middle class tax cut, a tax credit to offset rent expenses, grants to restore historically significant HBCU buildings, and maybe a reference to her endorsement of free public college education for people who make less than $125k. Apart from the HBCU grants, it's hard to say any of those target assistance to black communities. Maybe she has a secret agenda (like the gay Muslim corporatist communist African Nazi globalist we had earlier) that she's going to bust out after she's elected, but I doubt it (Trump didn't even do that -- he telegraphed what he intended to do).

mdrowe00 and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree... here's what she said:

I don't see anything objectionable with any of this.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Which tribe? How about the tribe's who got slaughtered by other tribes? Common man, what a stupid statement.

15. JuanValdez

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If you stopped for a minute you would notice that he was making an argument against reparations.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Get out of my yard!

Yeah , call me down for that ultimate reparation.

ipaman likes this.
  18. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Me too I’m 2% black. And 58% percent native from the Apache territory. Can I get double reparations?

mick fry likes this.
  19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Sure why not. And maybe even some UBI if you don't feel like working.

BruceAndre and MiddleMan like this.
  20. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Can’t wait for the debates. Trump had no filter. But now he will not wait for televised debates he will continue to use twitter to land jabs and pounce on his counterparts. Hide your kids hide your wives it’s going to be entertaining.

BruceAndre and dachuda86 like this.