1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Want to build a gaming PC for $500-550

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by epicbeardabe, Feb 8, 2014.

1. epicbeardabe

epicbeardabe Contributing Member

I want to build a gaming PC for around $500-550 and I have very little knowledge about computers and what parts I should be picking. I'm not super interested in the current gaming consoles (PS4, XB1) outside of 3rd party games so I want to be able to run most of those games on my PC at a good frame rate and want them looking similar to the current gen consoles. Do you guys have any suggestions on parts or websites I should be looking at? And is my budget too low to achieve what I'm asking?

Thanks in advance.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

As long as the price doesn't include monitor, keyboard and mouse - you can build a mid-level gaming PC based at current hardware levels for about 500-600 bucks. Your video card is going to eat up the biggest chunk of the pie, followed closely by your processor. Memory is cheap, as are platter hard drives. If you can afford it - I'd suggest a solid state drive, it makes a world of difference in gaming.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Build A PC subreddit is pretty great - http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

EDIT 2: When shopping for parts, use PC Part Picker - Their "Price Drop" and "Complete Builds" sections give good insight at some values to be had.

EDIT 3: A month ago this guy was able to build a pretty amazing PC for 1080p 60fps PC for $410 (minus the Windows 7 license). Some of the parts are even cheaper now. http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1td9iy/build_complete_500_including_os_1080_ultra/

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Total: $389.90

#2 Svpernaut, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. epicbeardabe

epicbeardabe Contributing Member

Cool, I'll check out the subreddit

Edit: And thanks for all your edits and help!

#3 epicbeardabe, Feb 8, 2014
  4. Svpernaut

Sorry, I ninja edited you. Check out the part picker list I just edited in above. Sub-$400. You could slightly raise/upgrade the CPU, memory or motherboard - but that rig will run most games 60FPS at 1080p. Not bad for $390.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I really suggest you join Eggxpert.com and chat with us in Eggchat. There's many up to the minute with guys in there eyeing discounts that will gladly help you with a superior pc build for the money. Drop on by at any time

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Go to Directron on Harwin. Overall their prices are as good as anyone on the net and you don't have to pay for shipping. Plus you can ask to talk to someone technical who knows what they're talking about. Okay that's kind of hit and miss but if you walk over to the repair side those guys are usually pretty knowledgeable.

7. rawool

rawool Member

I remember that place. I tried to get them to sponsor my Counter-Strike team 10 years ago, lol.

8. Svpernaut

Terrible idea. Their prices aren't competitive when compared to the big guys online (especially if you can order tax free), and I'm sorry - but they aren't know for their customer service. I've been there many times for hardware in a pinch, and great service was never their strong suit.

9. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Where is the video card?

Edit: Microcenter has some very good deals on CPU/Motherboard combos pretty often that is a good start to a homebuild. Right now they have a deal on AMD CPU's. You can get the AMD A10 7850K 4.0 GHz Black Edition Boxed processor for $129 plus $40 off a compatible motherboard and a free game. AMD CPU's aren't nearly as good as Intel but the free GPU is actually pretty decent on this thing and will help keep the cost pretty low on the build.

#9 Xenon, Feb 9, 2014
  10. Svpernaut

LOL! Good catch. I somehow lost it in the conversion to BB code. No wonder it was so damned cheap... guess I shouldn't browse from bed.

To stay in his range, I'd opt for a Radeon 7850 which you can find for about $150. It can play games like BioShock Infinite on Ultra. If he had to save a few bucks he could drop down to the 7890.

I'm an Nvidia guy myself, but if you opt for AMD CPU, stick with the ATI.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Look at directron prices at directron.com . I never had a problem with directron.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Buy your stuff from Microcenter.
    Buy your CPU and Mobo combo first.
    Know what you are doing.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What is a GOOD Video card these days?

I am just in the planning stage , , , , ,
    Usually dealing with NVidia

looking for a new Video Editing Computer

Rocket River

14. Svpernaut

Completely depends on your price range. Nvidia has been edging ATI for a while now, but if you are running an AMD processor and chipset I'd probably opt for ATI.

You can get some really great cards in the $150-200 range. If price is no object, the Nvidia GTX 790 Titan Black is due any day now. The $200 cards right now can run just about every game on the market at ultra settings, there's really no reason to go insane.

In the $200 price range you could get a Radeon HD 7870 or GeForce GTX 660.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No video card? :confused:

Nowadays, I'd recommend a Solid State Hard Drive for the system drive and physical drive for storage of por--er, I mean personal files. :eek: I just bought a Samsung 250Gb SSD at Micro Center for $169.

16. Svpernaut

See additional responses.

17. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

7870 2GB or the lesser 7850 would be a good mid level card to be had sub-$200.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Cool. Didn't see one on the initial build specs and recommendations. I was wondering why not.

I'll be adding a Quadro series video card to my 32Gb i7 soon... I do a lot of video and photo editing and would like a good handful of Cuda and memory on the GPU to help me out.

And stop sending people to "subreddits"... there are plenty of knowledgeable peeps here. :p

I'm about to add a CPU Cooler with four direct contact heat pipes to mine. I've never done that... it will be my first time.

19. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

In the market for a PC for my dad, just to browse the web and check emails...is it worth building my own (deal wise) or just look for a deal on a ready made

Thanks in advance

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

If he is only going to browse the web and check email buy him the cheapest thing you can find from a reputable brand and you will be hard pressed to come out ahead making it yourself. Plus at least for the first year or so he will have a warranty and a store to return it to if there are any problems rather than you having to come fix them.

Of course if he JUST checks email and browses the web he might want to consider an Ipad instead.