1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wang Meng: Yao Ming's New Assignment From Rick Adelman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Oct 2, 2007.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

For posters/readers who have followed the Houston Rockets preseason training camp, has Rick Adelman openly talks about this new role/assignment of Yao Ming ?

Or as usual, some mock-up stuff from Wang Meng ??

#1 pryuen, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

seems like old news

we all expected this

but we need yao downlow drawing the fouls and what not and pressuing the other team

with such a good player maker on our team ie tmac

i dont knwo whether its wise to let yao handle the playmaking

3. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Now! Do we have a point center or a point forward? Interesting concept. :D

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Thanks for the translation pryuen!

Idiots regretted the change "inflicted" on Yao Ming. He would have been MVP last year if he hadn't got hurt.

5. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I love that this article sort of bizarrely calls Adelman "the old man."

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As the default, Yao will be on the low post. On occasion, he will play out from the basket. If playing the high post is successful, it will continue. If not, it's back to the low post. Adelman has the logical view. If moving Yao away from the basket actually helps the offense, great. Obviously his lack of mobility is a big concern but maybe his shooting touch can overcome that. It's worth a try.

7. declan32001

declan32001 Member

pryuen, this is fairly good synopsis of Adelman's remarks yesterday (audio posted on the homepage yesterday), but there is zero news here.

Thanks as always for the translation, I know it's time consuming.

8. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

largest point guard ever?

9. WNBA

WNBA Member

now Adelman = idiot.

thanks, genius.

10. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Yao will be even tougher to cover if that was possible. Imagine him mixing and matching he's game. he will now kill you on the primeter and in the low block. our offense will be so much harder to combat now. i expect 1 or maybe 2 triple double type games from big yao this season.

11. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

The translation from Chinese to English to = "old man" will be tough on RA's pride.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

"inflicted" as in forced him to the sidelines with injuries because he's banging and bruising all the time instead of playing to his strengths?

Even though Yao is a great low-post threat, perhaps this new style will allow him to stay on the court longer. That's what I feel anyways.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Impressive effort, pryuen. Adelman seems to want to Vlade-ize Yao and I, for one, think this can add to his effectiveness.

The O should be coming from any and every part of the court. preparing for the Rox should cause headaches for all.

Now, let's hope this translates into W's and a deep p/o run.

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

This is good. I expect a lot more cutting and penetrating by our guards and hear a lot of.. Yao to Francis!/Yao to T-mac!/ even Yao to Scola.

15. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

If this works, there are a lot of benefits:

1. Yao's game is varied, making it harder for opponents to defend. If they put a big guy on Yao, Yao goes outside and become the playmaker. If they put a smaller more mobile guy on Yao, Yao will go inside and dunk all day.

2. It makes it hard to double team Yao. Once he gets used to distributing the ball, double team can be defeated easily by passing out or in

3. If Yao decides to shoot from the outside, there aren't many players who can block him from his height.

4. If he grabs the ball from 15 feet and shoot from there, he doesn't have to dribble and put the ball lower, reducing turnover

5. He is so tall he can see the court like no one else. We all have seen how accurate a passer he is. His height and accuracy should allow him to pass the ball to practically anyone.

That said, there are still a lot to be done. This offense will be based on movement. Yao has to know where everyone is moving to at anytime, and that won't be easy and certainly won't come naturally until the team gets the chance to gel, probably late in the year.

Woot, exciting season!!

16. rockingsoul

rockingsoul Contributing Member

RA is not old, RA is gangsta, RA slashes throats and woo b****es!

17. abcdef

abcdef Member

I didn't like this when Adelman was hired, and I still don't like it. Yao is too slow and he dribbles too high to drive, thus greatly limiting his effectiveness on the perimeter. The effective high post guys (pre-injury Webber, Duncan, Boozer, etc.) all have the ability to beat their man off the dribble. Yao doesn't. All this will have him do is shoot contested midrange jumpers, the most inefficient form of scoring there is. I hope that Adelman will find that this doesn't work, abandon it soon, and resort to packages with Yao setting up in the low post.

18. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

I firmly believe this is the one two great accomplishments JVG had in his tenure with the Rox.

1. Getting TMac to play some solid D, and morphing his game to an all around playmaker.

2. Forced Yao to be a dominant player by putting him in the post where he belonged and fed him the ball.

Im not one to say I know more than a B Ball Coach. But it does indeed seem that Yao initiating the offense out of the high post is a terrible idea. Yao is to slow, and is unable to dribble to create any kind of space. He is a solid shooter, but putting him at the top of the Key or on the elbow and waiting for someone else to create a shot for him is not what Yao needs to be doing, nor do we need to take our 7 foot 6 center away from the basket launching 15-18 footers, missing out on rebounds. No one is denying that Yao isnt a good passer for such a large guy, but he is NOT Tracy McGrady when it comes to finding an open man, nor is he Steve Francis, or heck even Mike James. Please oh Please dont put Yao on the elbow for long stretches.

19. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Nobody may have liked Van Gundy ball, but you can't doubt that his way of coaching certainly made Yao a tough inside center, not a 7-0 clone of Dirk who has no post moves at all. I'm glad, in a strange way, that Yao was tutored under Ewing not to be a mid-range shooting center but one who got all his points in the paint. And now this means his low post skills will still be useful while learning the high post.

20. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Nobody said anything about Yao Dribbling the ball on the high post. He's just passer, and not backing down his man.

Also I think with T-mac on this team, we can let him create half the time and Yao on the high post the other half. I think it's a good idea.

The only thing I'm really worried about is Yao's high turnover numbers...I'm afraid he'll lose the ball before he passes it, but time will tell.