1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walt Williams for Anthony Mason.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TraJ, Dec 9, 1999.

1. TraJ

TraJ Member

Yeah, I know that someone in Charlotte would have to have received a strong blow to the head in order to make a deal like this. But I think Mason may want out of Charlotte, and I believe the salaries might match up (they both have five year deals worth $20 million). I don't really even know that I'd want to do this deal, not because I wouldn't like to have Mason more than Walt, but because I'd kind of like to see what we have in guys like Kenny Thomas and Carlos Rogers.

I know that some people don't want to talk about replacing Charles at this point in time. But I really don't think Charles would have that attitude. I think he'd say, "It's unfortunate but the Rockets have to move on."

2. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

I would do that deal in a second. I was thinking about bringing Anthony Mason in here too. He would brings strong defense, a killer attitude (badly needed), he can handle the ball well and he can run decently.

This whole Charles Barkley thing is like a bad dream to me. I can't believe it happened.

Does anybody know, that if we win a championship (theoretically) this year. Would Charles get a ring?

3. TraJ

TraJ Member

I think Barkley would only get a ring if he were on the playoff roster.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, we shouldn't get Mason. After losing Pippen and Barkley, I think we have no choice but to go into full rebuilding mode. Mason is good and even worth more than Walt and would fill a hole with Barkley gone. But he's 33. Our core is now aged 21 to 28 and we should make sure new additions fall in that range. Besides, Mason's a punk.

5. University Blue

I don't think it would mean the same to Barkley if he didn't contribute to the championship...on the court.

IF Houston goes on to win a title this year, it would be the ultimate irony in an otherwise phenomenal career for Charles.

6. popeye

popeye Member

Couple of Things:

1. If you are talking about rings, the team decides who gets a ring. In the past the Rockets organization felt it was important that everyone in the organization be considered for a ring. For example: Bill Worell has a Rockets Championship Ring.

2. If you are talking about a playoff roster, then the league states the roster has to be set by a certain date, etc...

3. If you are talking about sharing in the playoff money that again is afforded by the NBA league as a set amount per team, but the Rockets players and coaching staff traditionally vote in a share to anyone they want to receive it.

4. If you are talking about another power forward ... the one replacement player that has not been mentioned, and yet is probably the closest to being considered, is Mr. Maurice (MO) Taylor.

Cheers.

[​IMG]

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Tony Massenburg , Sam Mack , and Kenny Thomas for a quality PF that is consistent . Like Harrington .

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

I hadn't thought about Taylor. I'd much rather have him than Mason. He'd be a great fit for the new look Rockets. Who do you think the Clips might be interested in on the Rockets (besides the obvious answer -- Francis)?

And thanks Pops for the clarification on the ring thing.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I am more and more unimpressed with Maurice Taylor as the season goes on. Antawn Jamison lit this guy for 40!!

It would definitely take atleast Mobley to get him. I say, throw in some more and make a run at someone else.

I'll pass on Taylor.

10. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Do we really have a realistic shot at Mo Tayler? The guy is a real player, he knows how to put it in the hole. Sounds like something that has to move major pieces like Francis.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DO NOT GIVE UP KENNY THOMAS IN ANY DEAL, this guy is going to be a big star.

DaDakota

12. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Ok Francis is too much to get him, Taylor is not playing well this season, but the guy can score, and playing for the Paperclips long enough suffices to kill a guy's fire. I can give up Mobley for him, but that way our backcourt is gonna be empty. Better unload Wiz and Tmass for him and sign Mack.

[This message has been edited by Finalfantasy (edited December 09, 1999).]

13. thacabbage

FinalFantasy:

You could get Maurice Taylor at a very respectable price tag. I am pretty sure Mobley+TMass would be enough to get the deal done.

*The Clippers know they will lose the guy to free agency, anyways.
    *The Clippers need depth in the worst way. They are looking at 1 for more-than-1 deals for Taylor.
    *Not much focus on Taylor right now. Most teams are lining up their bait for a shot at McGrady/Hughes/Kittles/Finley.
    *Nobody wants to deal with an ass like David Faulk. He will demand nothing less than the max for Taylor....Taylor's not worth that much.

14. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

That's good info, thanks cabbageman. I would like to see him to be in the Rockets' uniform, despite his recently so so performance.

Antawn Jamison, is that the forward of the Piston who is playing fantastic basketball?

15. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

I know what I am going to say is very unrealistic but how about Mobely, Mack, Massenburg, and Thomas for Anderson and Taylor. Both are leaving town and we know Rudy loves those big trades. Its not going to happen, I have no idea if the salaries match up and I wonder if that is enough talent to get it done. Francis, D. Anderson, S. Anderson, Taylor, and Cato seems like a young athletic poised for many championship runs. O well its fun to speculate anyways.

16. thacabbage

RocketSiv:

Derek Anderson is untouchable in Clipper-land. It would take nothing short of Francis to wheel him in.

FinalFantasy:

Antawn Jamison is the Golden State Warriors' starting small/power forward. The ex-Carolina standout...same guy who was swapped for Vince Carter in last year's draft. I think you are thinking about Jerome Williams.

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I've got to agree with thaCabbage, I've been disapointed with Taylor this year. I've got him on my roster in a couple of fantasy leagues, so I've watched a few of the Clipper games. He's got terrible shot selection, he doesn't rebound consistently and he plays no defense. He also compounds the problem by picking up stupid fouls, so he's always in foul trouble. There's no denying that he's got offensive ability, but there's way too many holes in his game to think about paying him $9M/Year.

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited December 10, 1999).]

18. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Anthony Mason?

Lock up your 14-year olds.

19. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I think Mason would be just what the doctor ordered. I do not like the off the court BS that comes with him though.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

20. thacabbage

heypartner:

I don't think that is the case at all. Trust me...the Rockets have more than enough to offer for Maurice Taylor. You would be surprised. I think it is just a case of Rudy just waiting things out for now and seeing what direction he wants to go in. He's got guys in Drew and Mobley who many GM's are drooling over [Drew..seriously] so it's a tough decision for him.

Everyone Else:

I have only watched a couple of Clipper games this season, so I wouldn't really know that much, but Taylor just doesn't seem to impress me that much. He just seems so...soft. The guy is averaging 6 boards a game at the power forward, and he is not a good defender at all. He also seems a little bit on the chunky side. I don't know but I was sort of leaning towards getting an athletic, defensive minded power forward to compliment Cato. If anyone here lives in LA, can you tell me what you think about Taylor?

Also, somebody brought up Antawn Jamison. I most definitely wouldn't part with Mobley for him, but I would trade for him if it were for anything less. The guy has a great work ethic and will probably develop into a decent NBA player. It wouldn't hurt to have him on our team, if it was a cheap trade.