1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walt the Wizard Williams "The aging Terrapin from Maryland" ?????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carlos Rogers, Apr 8, 2000.

1. Carlos Rogers

Carlos Rogers Member

This has got to be the funniest thing I've heard. I've never heard of the word "Terrapin" until last night so I looked it up in the dictionary. "TERRAPIN-An American edible fresh water turtle". LOL, why didn't he say Walt the Wizard Williams the aging edible fresh water turtle!!!!

------------------
    Houston.....we have a problem!!!! Thomas Hamilton seems to be eating the Compaq Center......WE NEED A NEW ARENA GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I was wondering why the Sonic announcer kept calling him 'aging'. The guy's only 30.

------------------

3. TraJ

TraJ Member

I kind of wonder why, if he was going to say it about one person, he didn't say it about everyone. Are there some people who aren't aging?

------------------

4. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

maybe i'm stating the obvious, but the reason for the word terrapin is that williams is an alumni of the Univ. of Maryland Terrapins (often Terps for short).
    why they have a turtle as there mascot is a little complicated but according to the umterps.com website it has to do with an old football coach (later school president) who encountered snapping turtles as a youth. oh well, much more than anyone asked for....

------------------

5. Calvin23

Calvin23 Member

aging Terrapin huh?

m..m..m

Gotta love Calvin Murphy [​IMG]

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

BronxFan: Well, DUH!!!! [​IMG]

CalvinFan: sorry, but your idol was not the one who said that line. It was some Seattle commentator.

------------------
    CriscoKidd ...

the official mascot for the S.F.B.W.C.

7. MarylandFan

MarylandFan Member

Hey -- don't knock our mascot Carlos R.

We Maryland fans are proud of that edible
    freshwater turtle --- its not just a turtle --- its an agressive fighting turtle [​IMG]

Go Terps!

------------------

8. Calvin23

Calvin23 Member

Crisco, I know that! I meant you gotta love Calvin becasue he wouldn't say something like that.

9. Carlos Rogers

Carlos Rogers Member

Cause I come from Australia I don't know much about college b-ball but I thought it was strange him calling Walt a Terrapin. "An edible freshwater turtle" geeeez I was gunna go all the way to Seattle to knock him out for dissin the Wizard......by the way all along I knew Walt had game just he was havin an off season. If you ask me Walt's stayin next season. By the way not long till that last Grizzlies game, any word on Charles?

------------------
    Houston.....we have a problem!!!! Thomas Hamilton seems to be eating the Compaq Center......WE NEED A NEW ARENA GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!