1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walt MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SmeggySmeg, Aug 23, 2000.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

A bad season for the Wizard folks. This is sad very sad. Williams should theoretically be a perfect fit for this ball club. He can knock down the open shot, and double teams which Hakeem, Cato, Cat and Steve create, create exactly that for him.

But Williams can't really hit from any range consistently over a whole season.

Which is bad when you consider the fact that he already can not run the floor or play defense. In other words the one dimension is lost.

So where is he going? Who are we getting? Do we move him, and Drew for a PF and move Anderson to the three? Hell even Anderson shoots better than Williams . Or do we go for a small forward to take his place?

So tell me cause as you all know, Walt must go.

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I can't believe I'm saying this , but...

Wiz seems to have formed a tight bond with Francis and Mobley. I think this lit a fire under him the last third of the season. I think he and Langhi could be a nice 1-2 punch at the 3.

Now I realize Wiz is a defensive liability, but, if he can shoot like he did at the end of last season he could be a great weapon on the offensive end.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I've said before that Carlos should start and nothing has changed my reasons why.He is a much better defender than people give him credit for,with surprising lateral movement for a guy his size.His shot blocking ability is above average.He has one on one moves that are incredible for someone his size.
    Sometimes it appears that he has a hard time finishing his touch shots but this is because of lack of body control.He needs to get a little stronger.Carlos has the ability to shoot,contrary to some's beliefs.So much talent seems to be given this guy and he has such a laizze faire attitude about it.................Cast my vote for the old Robert Horry ........Carlos Rogers

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

A combination of Walt and Dan should give the rockets enough consistent outside shooting... when one cools off the other can hit a hot streak - if they're both cold then Bullard will do the job!!!

------------------

5. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Mark my words, Walt will be the 2000-2001 Sixth Man of the Year

------------------

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

newguy; I don't think Langhi will be a starter - so if Walt isn't starting then you're obviously thinking small ball lineup... hmmm....could be alright if we get Miller to play the PF spot so we have 2 big intimidators... otherwise unlikely I would think.

------------------

7. Gideon

Gideon Member

Walt rocked the end of last season. It wasn't near as "sad" as you're making it out to be Smeg. He'll start off this season like he ended the last. You can bet on it.

------------------
    He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Langhi will be FAR better then Walt.

IMHO

DaDakota

------------------

9. treeman

treeman Member

If you look at Walt's career numbers, they kinda look like a roller coaster; that tells me that he has always been inconsistent. So, it seems to me that if you want to keep Walt, expect to keep both the 'good' Wiz and the 'bad' Wiz we saw last season.

That said, I see no reason to get rid of him. Although his game fluctuates, it tends to fluctuate on the high end - so overall, the 'good' Wiz appears to be present more often than the 'bad' Wiz. Maybe next season will be a reversal of last - the 'good' Wiz will be there 2/3 of the time, and the 'bad' one only 1/3 of the time. Yeah, real scientific, I know, but hey...

I would point out that Walt's stats have ALWAYS been better than Brad Miller's - even taking into consideration the different roles and positions. NO WAY do you lose Walt for Miller, especially considering that Walt finally appears to have become accustomed to the Rox system and the friendship he's developed w/ Steve and Cat. NO WAY.

------------------

10. haven

haven Member

I think Langhi will be better in the long run, but I think Walt should start... here's why: with Langhi and Mobley both coming off the bench, the Rockets could have a GREAT second string offensive punch, a lot like the Kings "bench mob" from last year. I bet many second teams would have trouble handling that much shooting [​IMG].

------------------
    David Falk is a MoFo.

The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

11. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

He is the ideal 6th man, instant offense, versatility, CAN play 4 positions, so go with the small ball.

------------------

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

One dimensional players (who's one dimension isn't defense) shouldn't be on any starting lineup, especially when you have hard working guys like Carlos Rogers on the bench. This is sick that this guy gets time. Lazy players in the starting lineup...

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, agreeing with Crisco lasted one day...

If you keep a stat for 3pt%, why not keep one for 2pt%. Maybe the best way to look at it is too see how many shots from 2pt range Walt takes. If he's taken 20 to Francis's 200, then the stats don't compare. But if they're closer to Roger's on the team, then they do compare.
    Last year, from a shooting standpoint, I liked Walt much more than Mobley. That guy drives me nuts. While he can been play good, I just can't stand it when he gets the ball, holds it for 5 or 6 seconds, doing nothing, and then shoots. At least Barkley and Hakeem in the post up game used to move, and looked for a pass out. Mobley thinks he's hot whenever he touches the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I love Carlos Rogers because he works his ass off, but how many easy ass layups does he miss a game? It seems at least 2. If he has range, he hasn't showed it much.

As for Walt, I think he fits the role fine. He runs well with the team, can shoot pretty good. I really don't think his defensive is THAT bad. Sure it's not great, but he doesn't cost us any games. (Remember that missed dunk against the Kings, it's pretty hard to dunk when two guys are trying to throw you down.)

I really don't want Rogers starting. Just like Cato, it's not smart to use that energy at the beginning of the game. It's smarter to use their energy as a spark off the bench. I really don't think he'd be as effective.

14. EckelsSucksMyA$$

I dont understand why everyone gives Walt such a bad time. He had a very slow start last year but so did Shandon. I dont see everyone calling for his head. I also think that everyone is making Langhi to be this superstar. I think that he will be really good in about two years but to think that he is going to come in this year and contribute signifacantly is setting yourself up for disappointment. Three weeks into the season everyone will be saying what a waste Langhi is and how we should have kept Najera and that we should trade him, Drew, and someone else for a PF.

------------------
    Build it and they will STAY!

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Come on, Smeg! Walt had a terrible start to the season but steadily improved and excelled in the 2nd half of the season. To part ways with him now is not warranted in my opinion. You say he "can't really hit from any range consistently over a whole season" based on what....last season alone? Why don't we see what he does this season and then talk about trading him if he stinks up the first half. I would think you would want to trade him for his lack of defense more than his so-called inconsistent offense. At least he was consistent in that he played poorly in the first half and rocked in the second half.

If he picks up where he left off, then we are in for a pleasant surprise. Otherwise, he may earn his ticket out of here. Other than possibly signing Mo, I doubt you will see any more movement of players prior to pre-season unless it's just a deal we can't pass up. But, who the hell are you going to get for Drew and Walt, probably a not so good player or two. Then, you would be wishing we stuck with Walt since he already knows the system, his place in it, and where he can excel/help the team.

Surf

------------------

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

You cannot separate 3-pt% from 2-pt%, that makes no sense at all. A three-pointer is to Williams what a 15-footer is for Hakeem. Guards' percentages are lower simply because they attempt tougher (longer) shots......if they want a higher percentage, they shouldn't shoot so many threes. This is why a guard will never lead the league in FG%. One of the main components of having a good percentage is SHOT SELECTION. By separating 3-ptrs, you take away the element of shot selection. Shot selection is one reason why Williams isn't setting the world on fire, at 41%.

17. heypartner

Uhh, Lard Face, if you want to compare scoring efficiency (which is the point of shooting), you have to separate out 3s and 2s (otherwise, it makes no sense to compare Cato's shooting % to Williams') ... Or, you can simply give credit for the extra point for the 3pters.... In Williams' case, shooting 35% from 3pt land is the equivalent of 52.5% from 2pt land in terms of points scored, which is really the only thing that matters....
    So, if you do it that way, he's even better shooting... I haven't done all the math, but at first glance, that makes him the 2nd best shooter on the team (behind Carlos Rogers)

SurfGuy and NewGuy and SoWhatGuy... If you don't want one-dimensional players in the lineup, then Carlos Rogers is *not* the solution... The guy cannot shoot outside of 5 ft or play one-on-one D -- he only hustles (just as one-dimensional). What Walt does with a lineup of Francis, Anderson, KT, and Cato is provide a true outside threat on the team. When you bring in Mobley/Drew, that's when you have multiple outside options, so you can sit Williams down. But if you start Rogers instead of Walt, then that's basically telling teams that you don't have to guard the perimeter at all.

18. davo

davo Contributing Member

I think its time to destroy a few myths about Walt Williams.

Smeg
    But Williams can't really hit from any range consistently over a whole season

Field Goal %
    Anderson .473
    Williams .458
    Francis .445
    Mobley .430
    Norris .437
    Seems like he was more consistent than all but one other player in positions 3 or less

DaDakota
    Langhi will be FAR better then Walt.

DaDakota, if you can tell that already you are in the wrong business (I'm assuming you are not currently an NBA GM). You may end up being correct but don't you think that is an outlandish statement?

CriscoKidd
    One dimensional players (who's one dimension isn't defense) shouldn't be on any starting lineup, especially when you have hard working guys like Carlos Rogers on the bench. This is sick that this guy gets time. Lazy players in the starting lineup...

Crisco - I attended all but 4 or 5 home games last year and watched almost every road game on TV. One thing I can say without qualification about Walt is that he is NOT lazy. He may lack defensive skills, but he works hard out there. It may not show, but he takes his defensive assignment very seriously, and part of the reason his offense suffered a bit last year was because of defensive effort. As soon as he jacks up a shot, he is immediately hustling to find his defender and get back down the court.

So Smeg, if we trade Walt, who is our starting 3? I don't think Anderson can do it game in game out, and Langhi is unproven.

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Davo:
    You bring up a valid point there. Still, I would feel more comfortable with a lineup suited better for the uptempo game. Steve Francis can handle the task of being the lone perimeter threat on the team. Most clubs only have one true threat in their starting lineup, anyways. The Champion Spurs didn't have a single one (Mario Elie is NOT a pure shooter). I just think it would be more beneficial to us if we had Shandon or Carlos at the 3. That would lead to more easy baskets.

Also, Rogers plays one on one defense, it is purely an idea brought up by a poster that he can't play defense snowballed. We will have strong rebounding with Rogers, better defense ( you can't teach height, and Walt's concept of defense is to give fouls, soft touchy fouls exclusively, and he gives uneccasery fouls trying to block shots while Cato is there), and lots of second chance shots plus put backs. Also, the Rockets wont do much of posting up in the first quarter, so Walt's three point shooting is not a concern. Another point is you really don't need that many three point threats on the court, one is enough, and Francis can take that role.

One more thing, just because Rogers takes high percentage shots doesn't mean he has no range, he made all 3 shots in his first preseason game, including a 3 pointer.

Heypansy, you don’t know what you are talking about. Your arguments make no sense. And there is no need for namecalling you ****!!!!

20. heypartner

like your comment that Rogers hit all three of his preseason shots makes sense...you womble.